Board logo

Spraying - How difficult????
Locost82 - 13/2/06 at 12:00 PM

I'd like to repaint my TVR in metallic paint and was wondering how difficult it would be. I'm fed up with quotes for £3000+ and thought I'd be better off buying professional quality kit and doing it myself.

Am I kidding myself or could a reasonably intelligent chap like myself do a decent job?

How much does paint cost? etc.

Any good web sites??

muzchap - 13/2/06 at 12:21 PM

Spraying isn't really an issue - it's the preparation were the sprayer boys/girls earn their money.

Everything has to be 'blocked' off by hand and sooo smooth - as when you put the topcoat on - it will show any tiny inconsistency...

You can buy a good compressor, spray gun, mask for about £500-£1000. BUT do it quickly as 2Pack paint is being banned from next year and everything is going water based! :-(

2Pack paint is pretty reasonable - about £30 litre. You'll need activator and thinners as well and some good quality lacquer. I'd spend as much as you could on lacquer!

£3k is a bit steep for a full re-spray - what condition is the car in? Does it need much filling? (This could account for the quotes - in addition to the TVR badge )

I know a guy in Peterborough who is ace - I'm pretty certain it would work out cheaper than that, let me know if you want his number :-0

Cheers,

M

[Edited on 13/2/06 by muzchap]

Locost82 - 13/2/06 at 12:26 PM

Yes please, I'd like his number. I'm moving over that way soon so it'll be local.

I'm happy to do the prep myself, and the car requires the usual TVR crazing repaired, but nothing major. I think people see a TVR and double a quote, even though it's cheaper than a good Locost!!

Cheers

Mike R-F - 13/2/06 at 12:28 PM

The spraying itself isn't difficult. Getting a good result is. A lot depends on how much prep work you need to do, if it's GRP you're working on, you may well be surprised by the amount of flaws in the bodywork that will re-appear if you don't treat them properly before spraying. The seemingly high cost you've been quoted reflects the amount of labour required to do the job properly. It's not an impossible task just very, very time consuming. Paint cost isn't high. If you can get hold of one of the old Osprey restoration series books on GRP bodywork by, I think, Miles Watkins, that will give you just about all the info you need.

emsfactory - 13/2/06 at 12:38 PM

Yep. All the work is in the prep. You could try and get a quote for spraying a prepared car? could be a good bit less.

I found spraying infuriating to begin with but you get great satisfaction from it. (eventually)

flak monkey - 13/2/06 at 12:51 PM

Cue comments that 2 pack paint should never be sprayed at home, unless you have forced air breathing masks etc. Cyanide will kill you believe it or not...

What is commonly called 2pack paint, is just an epoxy (i think) paint. I dont think you can atually buy proper 2 pack anywhere unless you are trade.

Mark Allansons the man to speak to on this stuff i think.

David

Howlor - 13/2/06 at 01:19 PM

Where in the country are you?

Steve

mookaloid - 13/2/06 at 01:27 PM

I've heard lots of horror stories about Reliant Scimitar bodies becoming distorted following a spell in the paint curing oven.

I assume the same will be true for TVR's and so I would make sure that whoever does it understands that oven curing is a bad idea.

I don't know if they still use ovens or not with modern paints but I thought it was worth a mention

HTH

Mark

Locost82 - 13/2/06 at 01:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking it's more difficult than I had initially thought so I may just leave it to the Professionals.

Steve, I'm in Salisbury.

DarrenW - 13/2/06 at 01:40 PM

What about a local Technical College? If they have a body shop they might be up for a fibreglass respray project. My local one was interested in spraying my old Golf a while back. I had to strip it (trim off etc) and pay for materials but they wouyld spray until at least better than factory finish. No time limit though.

I was concerned letting novices have a go but was assured by the lecturer that the worst that could happen is it would need painting again and he would do the spraying - it would just take a little longer. Some of the work they were turning out at the time was very good.

02GF74 - 13/2/06 at 02:18 PM

a monkey could use a spray gun so it is not that difficult.

You cna do a pretty decnt job with a single colour cellulose paint.

metallic is more tricky (never done it myself) as the final finish dpeneds on the colour coat and laquer. Once applied, unlike single colour paint, it cannot be touched up or rubbed down to match.

what is the car worth now and what is a car in similar condition worth? - then work out if the £3k is well spent.

muzchap - 13/2/06 at 02:49 PM

Guys,

You can stick it in the oven, you just need to pop the bubbles from the fibreglass ;-)

Most 2pack paint (as you want the decent stuff) can be 'air dryed' IIRC it can take a week for the bottom layer to 'go-off'

As pointed out the lacquer gives the finish.

I'll U2U my mates number - see what he says. Fibreglass is a nightmare if you have spider cracks.

Basically you have to chip it all out and then build it back up with fibreglass resin and then skim it with filler.. takes bloody hours and is messy as hell.

jon_boy - 13/2/06 at 03:56 PM

Dont prep the car and then ask sprayers to do it as most get the rats about finishing other peoples work!! Just check to make sure its ok with them first.

[Edited on 13/2/06 by jon_boy]

emsfactory - 13/2/06 at 04:12 PM

Just mask it up, few tins of paint, big box of fireworks. Showcar in twelve seconds.