Board logo

SVA bonnet catches
Jasper - 18/11/03 at 03:37 PM

Who sells the cheapest rubber SVA bonnet catches???

kingr - 18/11/03 at 05:22 PM

Well, I'll start the bidding with Car Builder Solutions, which do them two for £16, quite expensive, but cheaper than europa, who sell them for about £26 IIRC.

Kingr

bob - 18/11/03 at 07:49 PM

I'm sure lolocost do the same catches for less cash.

Mark H - 18/11/03 at 09:56 PM

Can anyone confirm how similar Dave and Jasper (in his old avatar) look?

Thanks.

SeaBass - 19/11/03 at 08:40 AM

Er, Those RS items are the same as the Car Builder Solutions just £10 cheaper!!

Bummer, I've just bought the CBS ones about two days ago....

Cheers

David Jenkins - 19/11/03 at 09:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Bummer, I've just bought the CBS ones about two days ago....

Don't get too upset - there's P&P and VAT to go on those prices!

If you're buying a lot of stuff then the P&P is less important, but if you're just buying one or two pairs then it's around £5, plus VAT on the lot. Total cost probably about £12.50p.

DJ

Deckman001 - 19/11/03 at 01:45 PM

There's not any extra if you get 'work' to pay for em

Jason

RichyMkIndy - 20/11/03 at 01:06 PM

i got CBS ones too ! poo boohoo

greggors84 - 20/11/03 at 05:32 PM

It looks as though the CBS ones are the large ones from RS. Which means they are £10.40 plus vat plus postage. So dont worry we didnt get that badly ripped off.

Also i have a feeling its £10.40 for one! rather than the pair, from CBS. So as usual RS is overpriced

[Edited on 20/11/03 by greggors84]

Deckman001 - 20/11/03 at 08:54 PM

RS on-line :-

Sold in multiples of 2
size stock no. price each
2-8 10-18
small 288-8464 £6.445 £5.91
large 288-8470 £10.40 £9.52
(September 2003 Catalogue page 5-331)

Jason

SeaBass - 21/11/03 at 01:38 PM

CBS ones are small RS versions. The instruction leaflet included from CBS has the same hole centre diagram as on the RS website (for small catch). I bought four from CBS for about £35 which makes them about right actually! Hooray

Cheers

greggors84 - 21/11/03 at 03:04 PM

So were all happy then!

Jasper - 24/11/03 at 09:21 PM

Cheers chaps - I've got an account with RS so it's free postage, I'll order them tomorrow....

paulbeyer - 18/1/04 at 10:35 PM

Any one interested in free SVA friendly bonnet catches? I had a look at the RS web site and noticed the catches were supplied by a company called Southco. On their web site they are listed as part no. C7-10. I noticed they do an evaluation service where they supply a small number of parts free of charge. Any way I gave them a bell on Thursday and told them I worked for a company that was looking for suitable catches to include in our manufacturing process. "how many do you envisage requiring for the right product?" they asked. "Oh Thousands" I replied "but I require 4 to test out on a prototype cabinet". Any how they arrived on my desk at work lunchtime the next day.
No doubt I'll be getting a follow up call in the near future to see how their product is doing, when I'll tell them they weren't what I was looking for, thanks but no thanks.
I reckon a few people could get away with it before they started to smell a rat so get in quick while the going is good.

bob - 19/1/04 at 09:00 PM

Well done paul,and welcome to my world"tight as a ducks arse.com"

Thats the best one i've heard,for blagging some parts for the car i take my hat off to you and will buy you a pint next time we meet.

cheers

paulbeyer - 19/1/04 at 11:52 PM

Cheers Bob,

I was pleased with the discovery. I noticed you can even apply for free evaluation items online so you don't even have to speak to them if you don't fancy it. C'mon ladies give it a go, what have you got to loose?

dozracing - 21/1/04 at 02:03 PM

These are the same as sold by most of the industry.

I've just added them to my site at £15 per pair inc VAT. www.gtstuning.co.uk

Kind regards,

Darren

DaveFJ - 21/1/04 at 02:21 PM

OK I dived in there and requested some - but..... they want you to supply the details of a shipping company and account...

ah well chnced my arm and sent it anyway.

I have had success like this before - getting the plastic bungs for my tubing.

Another good tack is to try saying that you are a student doing a design tech project for GCSE.... opens many doors just remember to write in crayon!!!

dave

locoboy - 21/1/04 at 02:42 PM

protofj,

click on the distributors links for the uk and give them a call, dont call the first one in the list they have no stock and rent my sample request straight to the manufacturer and it may look a bit suspect if the manufacturer gets lots of requests for 4 samples!

in fact she said they would probably only send me 1! so i called another distributor to get the other 3.

Having said that nothing has arrived yet and i requested them yesterday.

SeaBass - 21/1/04 at 06:34 PM

The sample gag is the oldest in the book. Especially useful for electronic components eg ICs.

The only snag is I now get all sorts of junk mail addressd to the companies I made up to get the samples...

Cheers

Mk-Ninja - 22/1/04 at 11:58 AM

Paul

Brilliant Bonnet catches arrived in the post this morning FOC.

locoboy - 22/1/04 at 12:18 PM

still not got mine

paulbeyer - 22/1/04 at 09:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mk-Ninja
Paul

Brilliant Bonnet catches arrived in the post this morning FOC.

Feels good doesn't it? All in the Locost spirit.

locoboy - 23/1/04 at 10:25 AM

Tight southern Gits!

I got my ONE sample from Zygology in High wycombe today,

Oh well just as well i asked fro samples from some others too!

DaveFJ - 24/1/04 at 12:28 PM

Just recieved 4 samples direct from southco - they're gonna catch on soon surely

locoboy - 26/1/04 at 12:54 PM

Yay....... 4 arrived today from a place in the midlands (not so tight!) got 5 now!

need one more and i can make aboot lid too.