Board logo

MX5 Engine What ECU / Injection?
Guinness - 2/11/10 at 07:45 AM

I'm considering swapping out the big old zed and putting a car engine in!

The MX5 engine looks interesting, especially given the bolt on gearbox and the option to turbo later on.

But, what are the options for making it go? I can't see any off the shelf stand alone ecu's for it. Would Omex / Emerald make me one?

I'm going to try to avoid megasquirt for the moment.

l0rd - 2/11/10 at 08:07 AM

what about the original ecu

pdm - 2/11/10 at 08:11 AM

What luck -!!

If you serious about that, I have an 1992 1.6 91000 mile engine, gearbox and ECU (as well as all the rest of sensors and engine wiring) sat in the garage i am looking to sell on due to a change in circumstances.

PM me if you're interested....

It's a cracking engine even in the MX5 - free revving with loads of character.

ed1801 - 2/11/10 at 08:23 AM

I know you said you didn't want a megasquirt, but for the '5 there is a plug and play version. I ran my '5 turbo on it for a couple of years with no probs and it plugs straight into the original loom and comes with a map which is similar to the stock ecu's map. try diyautotune.com then MSPNP.

Mad Dave - 2/11/10 at 09:12 AM

Speak to Mike at Road Runner Racing because they have a custom built ECU's for their cars. They also have turbo kits available shortly and the lot can be set up on their dyno

Dave

andrew.carwithen - 2/11/10 at 09:39 AM

I had a chat with Mike of Road Runner Racing at the Exeter show and he also told me they have their own ECU's for the MX5 (£500 I believe was the price he mentioned and it'll enable another 20 BHP to be extracted from a stock 1.6 without any further mods to engine.
As an aside, I was well impressed with the SR2 and if I hadn't already bought the Cobra I'd have put a deposit down on one there and then.

fatbaldbloke - 2/11/10 at 10:23 AM

Richard Botterill (rikebo@o2.co.uk) has just built a Mazda engined Westfield using the Megasquirt pnp. Might be worth an email.

[Edited on 2/11/10 by fatbaldbloke]

JAG - 2/11/10 at 01:35 PM

I built mine with the standard ECU and original injectors, MAF etc... It's done about 7000 miles and never missed a beat. It all works perfectly and is a lovely engine.