Board logo

omex 500
grissley - 8/7/11 at 07:05 AM

is it posible to map etc on my own laptop for the omex 500. I,ve recently aquired a car with 1.8 zetec with cat fitted and have no experience of this. I,ve always tuned webers and would like to understand this new system as much as possible. any advise and help would be appreciated, I live near derby (just north).

norm007 - 8/7/11 at 08:20 AM

You should have no problem mapping it.

Mine was locked by Omex when i bought my car to stop Numptys fiddling.

All I did was send it to omex who unlocked it free of charge, they then sent me a new map for my new engine that gave me a ballpark setting for rolling road.

Cannot recommend Omex enough!!!!!!

atspeed racing - 8/7/11 at 10:38 AM

500 is easy to do. software is downloadable from omex or my website. connection is via a straight RS232 cable.

- colin.

grissley - 12/7/11 at 10:01 PM

I got a cable off the guy I bought the car off but it wont fit my laptop, mines a 3 row of 5 pins .
how do I put a map into the omex and where do I get the map suitable for my 1.8 zetec on sta ndard injection.
it runs ok now but has fuel injected on overun and pops off throtle. why its like this I dont know is it normal to map it like this?

norm007 - 13/7/11 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by grissley
I got a cable off the guy I bought the car off but it wont fit my laptop, mines a 3 row of 5 pins .
how do I put a map into the omex and where do I get the map suitable for my 1.8 zetec on sta ndard injection.
it runs ok now but has fuel injected on overun and pops off throtle. why its like this I dont know is it normal to map it like this?

Whereabouts are you?
If you are local I would be more than happy to come and help you.
I bought a R232 USB adapter but the 500 ECU dont like it for some reason.
I ended up buying a laptop with a R232 and now have no problem what so ever.

I have just spotted that you have a Quantum Extreme.
I also have an Extreme, and I am lead to believe that Omex locked all the ECU`s that were supplied to Quantum.
If you get the serial number off your ECU and ring Omex they will be able to tell you straight away if it is locked or not.

atspeed racing - 14/7/11 at 11:59 AM

omex should be able to supply you a good 500 start up cal for the zetec.

15 pin sounds like video output, rs 232 is 9 pin. its rare to find a new laptop with RS232 (you'll notice all mappers have old ibm thinkpads or panasonic toughbooks!) can get a CF-50 toughbook on ebay for around £200.. perfect for the job.

or send the ecu to omex and they can put a start up cal on for you.. but if you wish to play with it yourself.. do the above ^^

the 500 has some "primative" functions for idle control etc.. but after a quick crash course, can soon get it to work pretty well. its not as user friendly as the later versions but still easier than most systems we come across.

- colin.

grissley - 14/7/11 at 02:24 PM

thanks guys for your advice , I think I,m to old for this stuff. so I,m booking into noble motorsport,chesterfield to get it sorted. let you know how I get on. bloody expensive tho, well I think so .hope its worth it.

grissley - 19/7/11 at 08:35 AM

I cancelled noble and have now got an adapter from 9 pin to 15 to fit my laptop and downloaded map3000 and able to read a map the guy sent me, will connect up car and look at whats on now, and see if I can disiffer the difference between them. why would you have fuel going in on overun as this is poping in the exhaust? could I just stop it? anyone got a fully set up map for a 1.8 zetec with standard ford inj.
thanks for all your help. I,m going to see another tuner far far cheaper who tells me I shouldn,t need a full mapping as its running just rolling R and fine tuning. do you agree/
phil

grissley - 21/7/11 at 06:44 AM

I,m actually getting into this system now and have uploaded the map off my car and beginning to understand it more, Has anyone got a map for the 1.8 zetec running standard injection they could e mail me to compare with mine? if you could it would be most helpful. PM me for mail address.
thanks phil

grissley - 31/7/11 at 01:58 PM

help,
dfco ? I have this set at 2000 rpm as omex told me but when I come down the revs when running it lurches and does at this rev point and is bloody anoying. how do I get this to work properly or am I wasting my time
I would dearly like some ones maps to compare with mine if anyone is generous enough to help.
I have a r/r booked later this month but would dearly like to sort this anoying problem now if poss.
cheers phil

atspeed racing - 1/8/11 at 12:11 PM

did andy @ omex talk you through correct idle set up? this is different on omex 500.

it sounds as though it is not entering its throttle closed/idle on state properly. and dropping in and out of the two.

also check ignition timing in and around idle sites.

also what is ignition set to do within idle functions?

regards

colin.

grissley - 1/8/11 at 04:28 PM

no he didn,t ,he asked me to do a logging and send it him but I tried this but nothing saved ?
dfco set @ 2000rpm
idle on 1700rpm
idle off 1800rpm.
couldn,t get the idle down to 800 so I had to adjust the butterfly back off a touch to achieve now 900

I have also noticed on start up now cold it doesn,t idle higher till warm and is more difficult to start, (have to turn over longer to fire up) ?

don,t understand why these changes have altered other working conditions that were ok , it did start fine and idle ok at 800 as set when warm,
appreciate your help colin , I,m to old for this I recon, give me webers anyday and a dizzy ,!!

cheers phil

atspeed racing - 2/8/11 at 12:43 PM

ok.. try this...

for starts, lets get the idle set correctly....

1) allow the engine to warm to operating temperature (70 degrees or so)

2) turn OFF idle controls. e.g. idle on and off set to 0

3) adjust throttle screw approx 200rpm ABOVE intended idle rpm e.g. target 1000rpm = set to 1200rpm.

4) reset minimum TPS reading to new value.

5) adjust fueling to desired AFR. also timing should be a sensible number, around 5-7 degrees around the idle sites, and surrounding sites + and -

6) idle speed may adjust due to step 5, so go back and retune 3, 4 and 5. until you have a steady "fast" idle and correct mixture with idle controls off.

7) once achieved, reactivate idle controls ( idle on / idle off).

the engine is now set so that the engine has more than adequate air, and the ecu now electronically slows it down. this can help with cold start and idle. as the ecu doesnt have to try and pour on ignition at idle to try and achieve the target speed, which can have a negative effect of over advancing and actually trying to stall the engine. once set correctly, you should NEVER have to adjust the throttle screw again.

i have some notes from an omex 550 ecu i did a while back for idle set up.. may be useful!! have to say i have only done a handful om old omexs.. hope this helps:

idle off rpm + 100rpm above idle on

set idle off approx 500rpm above target idle

tps idle on 3, tps idle off at 4

tps set idle value as 1 NOT 0!! i.e. set rps min BELOW tps raw.

idle scatter approx 5 degrees

low = + adv
high= - adv

>12v idle set to 0deg

good luck!!

- colin

grissley - 2/8/11 at 06:29 PM

thanks colin will investigat this, you are very helful and a pity I,m not near you.

before I read your mail today changed dfco to 3000rpm and better haven,t noticed the jerking on a quick run.

grissley - 18/8/11 at 05:45 PM

thanks for your help and advice colin,
had the car dyno run today and they said timing and fuel settings were not very good and she ran superb back home and will run dead smooth right down to 30mph in fifth gear and pull away smoothly. it is also up 10bhp. so very pleased with dyno teck in ripley,derbys

grissley - 1/9/11 at 07:36 AM

recently had my quantum xtreme (7) rolling roaded and they told me there is no idle control valve valve on my inlet manifold,
as this is a quantum manifold not ford there were unable to follow the instuctions by omex. for idle set up.
my idle is set now at 900rpm bot on cold starting I have to hold the throttle open to increase idle .
they did say at omex its trickery using timing etc to control idle then but the R/R guys said this is not a good idea.
ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS and is there some way I could have idle control ,maybe fit the ford valve just behind the throttle control on a special adaptor but how would I wire it up to the omex.

ashg - 1/9/11 at 08:39 AM

not sure if the omex 500 can do it but usually there is a closed loop idle table on most ecu's for ignition and fuel. if you turn it on for advance and give it an idle target it should increase and decrease the amount of advance to hit the given rpm target regardless of load on the engine.

typically you use it when you have throttle bodies as they have no idle valve. the purpose of it is to maintain rpm e.g when the alt is working harder or the air conditioning is on etc.

Omex - 11/9/11 at 09:17 PM

Hi guys

The 500 Series ECU is getting on a bit now and hasn't been in production for many years. It has no air bypass idle control, only able to maintain idle speed by varying ignition timing (obviously only in the idle condition!). This is enough if correctly setup to enable a tolerable cold idle once started (which will probably need a little throttle) but will never be as good as having proper idle air bypass control as is used by the 500 replacement the 600. Once up to temperature it should idle perfectly.

Hope that helps.

Dusty - 11/9/11 at 10:33 PM

You asked why would you have fuel going to the injectors on overun/deceleration and decided to turn DFCO on and found that it made the transitions from deceleration to acceleration jumpy. That pretty much answers the question. I have found that if DFCO is turned on thats exactly what results. The only reason to have it turned on is to save fuel. The popping is probably due to air getting into the exhaust. Sort that. Switch off DFCO and it will be even smoother.