Board logo

Car just gone to Atspeed - is it normal to feel nervous?!!
adrianreeve - 21/4/12 at 08:58 AM

So the low loader has just picked the car up, and dropped it at Atspeed for mapping. I've now got the same feeling you get when you take a new built car out for the first time - will it break? Have I just wasted 4 years? Will they take one look at my car and laugh?

Anyone else get this feeling when other people are doing stuff to their car? (Fully confident in Atspeed's ability by the way, it's more of a nervous father thing!)

Dangle_kt - 21/4/12 at 09:06 AM

I got horrible SVA stomach knots.

Though its pretty satisfying when it comes good!

karlak - 21/4/12 at 09:08 AM

I havent done it with the Kitcar yet, got that "dubious pleasure" to come in a month or so.

But, I did have my tintop on the rollers for a remap - I can completely agree with how you feel. I was just waiting for the thing to go bang and for the bonnet to fly open . Luckily it was all OK and the journey home was superb.

I wouldnt worrry too much, these guys know what they are doing and if at any point they thought there would be a problem, would stop straight away. On the positive side, once it has been roller'd and all is OK, then it has had a really good shake down

Coopz - 21/4/12 at 10:31 AM

It is normal, Just don't worry... i'm sure you will really enjoy your day once its over! I had the mk on the rollers only after one drive to IVA it was scary to put her through her paces but actually was one of the most enjoyable days I have had with the kit.

Just be the mappers second set of eyes. and listen carefully if your worried about anything stop him.

ChrisW - 21/4/12 at 10:31 AM

It's normal, don't worry. Even worse if you're standing next to it when it's on the rollers. Hearing your car being pushed to the red line whilst standing so close just isn't natural!

Chris

RK - 21/4/12 at 01:30 PM

Yes! It's your baby and nobody loves it like you do. Now you know how your mum felt.

DIY Si - 21/4/12 at 05:05 PM

Perfectly normal. I had my mini set up whilst I was stood next to it, and it was the first engine I'd ever built and my absolute baby. Being stood next to it whilst the bloke runs it up to 9,000 but without moving is nerve racking!! But the drive home was perfect, as the engine was so sweet.

atspeed racing - 24/4/12 at 03:45 PM

I have been dyno'ing cars since the mid eighties, never lost one yet. Everything is always in the dyno bay...somewhere!!

You people are always worried about the dyno, and yet some of you will quite happily get in your car and drive around for ever without tuning it, some of you even doing track days, with little concern and yet a 10 second run on the rollers has you shaking in your boots!

I know of one car that had its engine ruined by its owner running it in before it got to the rollers, to make sure it would be OK. He melted a piston.
We know within 1 second if the car is to lean.

adrianreeve - 24/4/12 at 04:54 PM

Just a bit of a nervous nelly then! Have every confidence in you guys, more my building skills I question! Looking forward to getting the car back, now with a new starter motor as well! Thanks for fielding my nervous calls over the weekend, you guys have been really helpful, I'd thoroughly recommend you!

Cheers

Adrian

Ian.C - 1/5/12 at 05:52 AM

So, how did it go?

adrianreeve - 1/5/12 at 10:04 AM

It was of course fine! Atspeed took good care of the car, and also sorted out a dodgy starter while they had it.

In the end, I got 134bhp and 136lb/ft at the wheels from a bog standard, unknown mileage and condition 2l silvertop zetec, with relatively small 40mm Jenveys, an Omex 600 ecu, Great British Sportscars exhaust manifold and bike can.

The car now starts on the button, instantly settles into a nice idle, and feels very, very quick on the few blast I've had around our development!

Would definately recommend Atspeed, great guys to deal with, and worth the money!

Here's a link to video clip of the car on the rollers, sorry for the sound quality, I think their camera is directly above the fans!

Cheers

Adrian

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff406/adrianreeve/2012-04-26-58165.mp4