Mash - 15/7/16 at 04:01 PM

Hi there folks

I have one of these on my Pinto

Carb ID
Carb ID

....and it has this solenoid on the side

Solenoid
Solenoid

I had wondered what the connection was (disconnected in the picture) and found it when I was going through wires in my wiper stalk connections as part of the "ditch the cr@ppy sierra stalks" process I'm working through. Heaven knows why power should be supplied from here to it

Anyway, it has a plunger inside, and when powered up the plunger retracts, not sure but I think it might be a valve which cuts off petrol supply to the carb when the ignition is turned off ? Anyone know anything about it, or advise me if I'm right/wrong?

Thanks in advance

Mash

r1_pete - 15/7/16 at 05:05 PM

Its an anti run on valve, it cuts fuel to the jets when you switch off to prevent the engine errrr running on,

rusty nuts - 15/7/16 at 05:48 PM

Engine will normally not idle with it disconnected, should have an ignition live feed to it.

Mash - 15/7/16 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Engine will normally not idle with it disconnected, should have an ignition live feed to it.

Thanks Rusty and errm Pete

That's great news. Rather than just disconnect it(only disconnected in pic to eliminate it from the other connections), I thought I'd take it out, remove the plunger so it's open, and replace the body or blank it off, apparently they can be troublesome, and now I know for sure it's the anti run on, I hope the removal will work. Coincidentally, I have had the occasional spell of misfiring/rough running from the car which seems to cure itself, so I'm hoping the removal will sort that too.

If necessary, I can put a relay in the supply to the fuel pump, which I hope will stop any potential to run on.....

The bloke who built the car seemed to have it wired up to a permanent live, so that would be why his battery was discharging....

Goggle tells me that that's what some people have done.

Any thoughts would be appreciated though

r1_pete - 15/7/16 at 06:46 PM

Can't remember exactly what they are like inside, but, if you can, taking the spring out and solder or epoxy the plunger in the energised position would be my preferred method.

Mash - 15/7/16 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Can't remember exactly what they are like inside, but, if you can, taking the spring out and solder or epoxy the plunger in the energised position would be my preferred method.

Cheers Pete, sounds like a plan