Board logo

St220 Duratec 30 rwd on Oem ecu, new project
big_wasa - 2/6/18 at 11:42 AM

My new project, well it’s been sat on the front lawn waiting for me for the last two years.

The DURATEC 30 / Aj30

The plan is,

Run it on the Oem ecu ( of course).
Plans have changed to rwd using an rx8 box.
Squeeze it in a Locost.

Well I am still not sure on the last one. I’ve yet to see anyone fit the rx8 box in a Locost and I already have a brace of turbo zetec’s and I really can’t make my mind up on what way to go.

So I’ve made a start on the wiring loom and the pin outs.

Mash - 2/6/18 at 12:01 PM

Crikey Mate, you are a legend

Myke 2463 - 2/6/18 at 12:47 PM

You have u2u.

J666AYP - 2/6/18 at 01:00 PM

Very nice. I put the 2.5 version in a mk2 fiesta xr2. Masses of midrange torque. And they sound mad with a decent exhaust.

big_wasa - 2/6/18 at 01:11 PM

It's a small world, we may have spoke about it on passion ford ?

sdh2903 - 2/6/18 at 01:21 PM

What flywheel and clutch combo are you going for? Can you use the oem ford?

big_wasa - 2/6/18 at 01:25 PM

Oem is dual mass like the Jag. But I did come across a very nice TTV billet flywheel.

J666AYP - 2/6/18 at 02:07 PM

big_wasa,

Yep that would have been me on passion ford.

Upset alot of XR2 purists with that thing lol.

Could you not use a rwd jag box/flywheel/clutch to keep it simple?

Jay

ragindave - 2/6/18 at 03:08 PM

Are you not going down the zetec turbo route for the Mkindy then probably not enough of a challenge for you installing the st220 will keep you busy

big_wasa - 2/6/18 at 03:15 PM

Maybe Jay but I will sort the ecu first. I plan on pulling the engine early next week.

As for the fez, I loved it ! but with less stickers.

big_wasa - 2/6/18 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ragindave
Are you not going down the zetec turbo route for the Mkindy then probably not enough of a challenge for you installing the st220 will keep you busy

I really really can’t make my mind up. I promised myself I would do the St220 wiring loom and I promised myself I wouldn’t take the Indy to bits until I had enjoyed it a year. I will make my mind up in a few weeks when I see what the size looks like when ready .

J666AYP - 2/6/18 at 07:37 PM

Big_wasa,

I think I only had one sticker on mine? may well be a similar one out there.

Jay

big_wasa - 2/6/18 at 08:52 PM

My bad,

There was a red mk1 with a black bonnet and white wheels.

J666AYP - 2/6/18 at 09:08 PM

Mine was all red (and rust orange). I know the one your talking about though.

Jay

big_wasa - 3/6/18 at 07:57 AM

What engine management did you run ?

40inches - 3/6/18 at 11:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Oem is dual mass like the Jag. But I did come across a very nice TTV billet flywheel.

Not all had a DMF. I have a solid 220 flywheel that I got for the Jag engine, fits ok but the ring gear is a different pitch, so I
couldn't use it

big_wasa - 3/6/18 at 11:40 AM

Ah I’ve meaning to bug you with a few questions.

Was there no way of changing the starter motor or just the pinion ?

sdh2903 - 3/6/18 at 11:55 AM

I've looked into this as I'm using the aj30 like Dave (who's a top source of info by the way!) There's no mixing and matching that works unfortunately to get rid of the DMF. Leaving either getting a custom flywheel made with the correct ring gear, which then leaves issues with spacing or just sticking with the dmf.

There is another option which is an adapter and solid flywheel from rocketeer which then allows an mx5 gearbox and clutch to be used. Only issue is you have to use their sump too and the 3 as a package are quite pricey, but very well made.

big_wasa - 3/6/18 at 01:00 PM

I have looked at the rocketeer, very nice but not the hands on and make work option befitting Locostbuilders

I have an adapter plate from mr Hughes and a 5 speed rx8 box. I havnt mocked it up yet but I am hoping the plate would take the St starter that will match the st ring gear ?

Time will tell.

40inches - 3/6/18 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Ah I’ve meaning to bug you with a few questions.

Feel free

big_wasa - 11/6/18 at 06:55 PM

F###k me is it heavy

I should of maybe done some home work on that first.
I can now see why you cant use the Mondeo starter motor. I don’t know why but I assumed it was like the 2.0 and mounted to the engine.

Any way, I’ve traced all the wiring back by pulling one pin out of the ecu plug at a time and unthreading it from the loom. It doesn’t look much harder than a Zetec. There is one hiccup but we will see how it pans out

Ugg10 - 11/6/18 at 07:09 PM

Does the mondeo have the ecu controlled fuel pressure regulator with no return pipe like the jag Version?

big_wasa - 11/6/18 at 07:21 PM

There is no return from the fuel rail but it’s not done by the Ecu. It’s not like the St170. The ecu just switches the pump like a standard Zetec.

I’ve got to stick my head under the rear. It looks like there is a return after the fuel filter.

sdh2903 - 11/6/18 at 07:36 PM

Its heavy with all the standard gubbins still attached which i assume you'll be needing to run oem ecu? the engine itself is actually on a par if not a smidge lighter than a 2.0 zetec (allegedly )

big_wasa - 11/6/18 at 07:44 PM

Like a zetec most of the oem bits can be modified. There won't be much st220 left.

I am hoping there is a lot of weight in the 6 speed box, it is huge.

[Edited on 11/6/18 by big_wasa]

40inches - 11/6/18 at 10:02 PM

AJ30, no inlet, but with starter and alternator
Description
Description

big_wasa - 12/6/18 at 10:57 AM

So 130 ish with out. Is that with a dual mass flywheel and clutch ?

40inches - 12/6/18 at 02:18 PM

quote:
So 130 ish with out. Is that with a dual mass flywheel and clutch ?

Just flywheel.

big_wasa - 13/6/18 at 03:41 PM

Hmm maybe not as bad as I feared then.

Anyway continuing the the returnless fuel pump quandary. As I suspected the pump is a standard in tank design with the pressure regulator built into the pump.

So the in tank swirl pot fills. The pump pulls it through the in tank filter. It pushes it through the external filter. Then there is a “T” it goes straight on to the fuel rail or the exces pressure forces the regulator open where it drains back to the tank.

big_wasa - 6/8/18 at 05:17 PM

The lump has been sat in the front porch covered with a tarp for the last six weeks but 30 deg or not I found a few hours to get the Zetec drained and stripped of the stand and bunged the Duratec 30 on so it was easier to move. Mounting points where only around 13mm further apart.

Oddified - 6/8/18 at 09:31 PM

Interesting. Whilst not going in the same direction, i'm using an ST220 engine, adaptor plate to Audi transaxle, TTV flywheel, Brise starter, Audi quattro plate (none sprung), ST220 cover, aux belt now only runs to the alternator with a simple tensioner (and converted alternator to conventional type, they're ecu controlled intelligent as standard), running on an Mbe ecu. The engine/gearbox combo is going to be fitted in the back of metro (6R4 rep) which is my current project, i've had the engine start/run on the floor, no issues at all getting it running (they do sound nice ).

Ian

big_wasa - 7/8/18 at 07:22 AM

Any chance of a picture of your tensioner please Ian ?

Oddified - 7/8/18 at 08:33 AM

Made up a new stud (replaces an existing one in the front cover), Range rover P38 aircon tensioner, 6PK955 (although a 6PK962 would be an easier fit).

40inches - 7/8/18 at 08:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
Made up a new stud (replaces an existing one in the front cover), Range rover P38 aircon tensioner, 6PK955 (although a 6PK962 would be an easier fit).

That's a neat method, I went old school with a sliding tensioner. Moved the Alternator to the other side for lack of space.
Description
Description

big_wasa - 7/8/18 at 05:37 PM

quote:

Thats perfect, Thankyou.

big_wasa - 7/8/18 at 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

That's a neat method, I went old school with a sliding tensioner. Moved the Alternator to the other side for lack of space.
Description
Description

Hmm that really is snug between the rails.

magpies - 23/8/18 at 01:58 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

what are you using for water pump?

I'm about to fit an aJ30 engine and 221 gearbox to my TVR.

I'm looking for inspiration regarding Throttle Body and ECU

big_wasa - 23/8/18 at 03:32 PM

I can’t see any reason why the Oem waterpump won’t work. It runs of one of the cams on the back of the engine in the Mondeo. Rocketeer use a Craig Davies electric pump on a very nice custom bracket.

I’ve seen two of these dyno’d on aftermarket engine management and neither made loads more than standard.

magpies - 23/8/18 at 04:09 PM

quote:
I can’t see any reason why the Oem waterpump won’t work. It runs of one of the cams on the back of the engine in the Mondeo. Rocketeer use a Craig Davies electric pump on a very nice custom bracket.

I’ve seen two of these dyno’d on aftermarket engine management and neither made loads more than standard.

I just think the original ecu will have lots of items not connected when installed in my old(ish) TVR and so give headache in overcoming - happy with about 240bhp

but at the same time something like an Emerald k6 adds the best part of £1000

big_wasa - 23/8/18 at 04:39 PM

Yep that’s the trade off.

The only thing I can see on the Oem ecu is it has four o2 sensors

magpies - 23/8/18 at 06:18 PM

I'm really interested in how you manage with the OEM ecu (and I'm sure a number of others are too )

as this could be a cost effective way to go - after you have put in lots of time and effort .

If you lived close by I'd love to help (I live in Teesside)

big_wasa - 24/8/18 at 06:46 AM

Only thing is, the mondeo doesn't have the vvt. And yes if you where nearer I would be up for doing one Duratec 30 loom as I don't always get around to fitting the engine into anything. Once I've played with it I get bored and start as new one.

Turbo Zetec project any one

[Edited on 24/8/18 by big_wasa]

big_wasa - 18/7/19 at 12:21 PM

Bit of an update, ignor the heavy breathing ( phone ?. )

First start. I am happy to post up the pin outs for any one that wants to have ago if there is enough interest ?

The sound doesn’t do it justice. The rasp of un silenced 3.0 is awesome.

Ugg10 - 18/7/19 at 05:17 PM

Very nice, great job. Is the ecoboost 1.6 next on the list :-) !

big_wasa - 18/7/19 at 05:31 PM

I wouldn’t say no if I could find one.