Board logo

Changing fuel supply type.
ian.stewart - 8/12/22 at 07:09 PM

Im trying to save myself a lot of work, Im converting my 20XE from 45s to Jenny injection, not wanting to have to cut up a new tank that I have just installed, and run extra fuel/return line. on a previous build BEC there was no return plumbing for fuel, can I convert My Jenveys to run as a non return system? or will this open a can of worms with things like bleeding air, and fuel vaporisation?

Simon - 8/12/22 at 08:21 PM

Surely you could put the return feed in with minimal "damage" - a drilled hole (in the top or side) with tube inside tank to return fuel to bottom of tank and return feed from front or car- all sealed by compression/gaskets

Something like this

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/m10x1-red-anodised-aluminium-straight-8mm-hosetail

[Edited on 8/12/22 by Simon]

scudderfish - 9/12/22 at 07:09 AM

I added a small pipe to the fuel sender fitting on the basis that if I screwed it up, it was replaceable. Worked fine.

40inches - 9/12/22 at 11:33 AM

I used one of these Aircraft tank fitting
If it's cleared for aircraft use that's good enough for me

theconrodkid - 9/12/22 at 01:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I used one of these Aircraft tank fitting
If it's cleared for aircraft use that's good enough for me

same here, just be sure to de-burr the inside surface or you can cut the rubber washer....ask me how i know

ian.stewart - 9/12/22 at 04:55 PM

Now im really confused, just checking over the Jenveys, and not quite what I was expecting, the fuel rail only feeds from one end, the other end is a blank,

snapper - 9/12/22 at 07:15 PM

It will have a pressure relieve valve with a return to the tank, it’s what’s known as a dead head system.
You can have a pump that will not pump past a certain pressure but these usually have some form of ECU control
The simple non-return dead had fuel rail usually uses an in tank fuel pub with built in bypass any other system will need a return

SteveWalker - 9/12/22 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
I added a small pipe to the fuel sender fitting on the basis that if I screwed it up, it was replaceable. Worked fine.

Exactly what I did. The sender unit already had a feed and return, but I added a second, shorter feed (teed into the first, via a valve), so the pump picks up until the end of the short pick-up keeps being uncovered and letting air in, giving a warning of running out and allowing me to close the valve, forcing pick-up only from the longer one, so acting as an inbuilt reserve.

When E10 became the norm, I replaced the sender and pick-ups (which corroded badly in it) with a stainless-steel disk, with stainless feeds and returns silver-soldered into it and a plastic/stainless magnetic float and reed-chain type sender unit bolted through the disk (my tank is stainless anyway).