Board logo

brake pressure switch
cjtheman - 4/1/09 at 05:39 PM

hi all
just wondered if i would get any problems with sva if i use a switch behind the brake pedal
or has it got to be in the brake line
cheers
colin

BenB - 4/1/09 at 05:41 PM

No problems. In fact in some ways it's preferable because the hydraulic switches sometimes take a bit of pressure to come on....

iank - 4/1/09 at 05:41 PM

Both are equally acceptable.

cjtheman - 4/1/09 at 05:43 PM

cheers for the speedy reply ben
back to thr shed....lol
cheers
colin

blakep82 - 4/1/09 at 05:57 PM

i think switches on the pedal are usually preferred. though i wouldn't put the switch behind the pedal itself. depends on where behind the pedal, where your pivot point it etcc, but i'd prefer to have set so that when the switch is pressed, the contact is broken, and contact made when the switch is released

Spyderman - 6/1/09 at 03:32 PM

If you are going to fit your switch to the peddle then a good source is motorbike rear brake light switches.
Not only are they fairly weather proof, but act from a spring, so excessive pressure won't damage the switch.

David Jenkins - 6/1/09 at 07:46 PM

If you get a proper brake switch from somewhere like SVC or VWP, you'll find that it's 'press to break'. I have one that's pushed in when the pedal is at rest, and released when I apply the brake. As it's released, it makes the connection. The proper ones usually come with 2 fixing nuts, so you can adjust the point at which it makes the connection.