Board logo

Buggy (beetle based) wiring
sebastiaan - 2/5/10 at 09:19 AM

Hi!

My brother in law has bought a buggy (a real Ruska, based on a non-shortened '64 beetle floorpan). It needs a new loom. Does anyone know of any reasonably-priced replacement looms or will we need to rewire it ourselves from scratch? It won't be hard to do, but if ther e is something similar to a vicky green / premier wiring loom available for beetles that might be a much quicker / painless solution.

Thanks!

Marcus - 2/5/10 at 10:02 AM

May be a bit expensive, but try here
Standard looms seem to be about 250 quid (a WHOLE Locost worth!!)

sebastiaan - 2/5/10 at 10:36 AM

Thanks for that. It seems to be on par (pricewise) with some other online suppliers, but 250 pounds for a wiring loom for a car almost 50 years old just seems wrong.....

Ebay does not come up with anything either

iank - 2/5/10 at 10:41 AM

Premier do a wiring loom for rear engined cars and can do custom jobs. Depends on the switches in the buggy.

I'd have a chat with eddie99 and see what he'd charge, or buy a decent crimper, terminals, wire and DIY - got to cost less than £250 - can't be many wires in a beetle/buggy.

Airhead - 2/5/10 at 01:07 PM

Hi

I've done loads of VW based buggies / sandrails.

The wiring is so simple it hurts. Get a Haynes Manual and some wire and get inventive. If that's not for you then www.buggista.com is full of buggy heads or "Buggistas" that will sort you out.

Matt

sebastiaan - 2/5/10 at 01:33 PM

Yup, I know they are easy-peasy to do. Just looking to save some time if possible...

Looks like it'll be a scratch-built loom then!

grazzledazzle - 2/5/10 at 02:55 PM

ssp (vw heritage performance section) do a buggy loom for about £50, as do cool-air in kent.

tegwin - 2/5/10 at 05:34 PM

Buying something generic probs wont save you that much time..

I say build one... you could do the entire loom in 2 days.... Piece of cake!!!