Board logo

Blackbird rev counter flicking
Hutch - 15/5/12 at 06:17 PM

Hello all
I've just about finished my blackbird powered Westfield and I've noticed that the rev counter needle is flicking,
I have tried a different live and a different earth with no joy.

Im thinking it could be a fault with the rev counter itself,
but before I buy a new one does anybody know what pin on the ecu is the tach output is (just to make sure)

twybrow - 15/5/12 at 07:17 PM

Welcome to the forum Hutch!

What clocks/tacho are you using? Is it the original bike clocks? I am using a ZX12 engine, and a Koso dash, and I have tried the feed directly from the ECU (which worked perfectly on my last engine) - but it bounced all over the place. I then tried a feed directly from one of the coil wiring, and whilst it still bounces a little when just sat revving the engine, it settles out just fine when driving.... So I would suggest giving that a try if your clocks are compatible.

Hutch - 15/5/12 at 07:40 PM

It is a Westfield issue gauge for the bec conversion I think it's a 14k vdo gauge

mark chandler - 15/5/12 at 09:50 PM

Have you tried a shielded cable, the shield should only be grounded at one end.

DH2 - 16/5/12 at 08:28 AM

I had a flickery problem on mine, many moons ago now.
I resolved it by adding a pull-down resistor between the signal and earth connections for the tacho - this was the Westfield branded Eliot tacho.
A bit of info about this on my old website (look at August/September 2008).

Hope this helps.

DH2

twybrow - 16/5/12 at 02:52 PM

DH2 - can you recall what type/resistance value you used? did you experiemnt to find an optimum resistor, or just used what you had?

So if I understand correctly, you have a connection from the signal wire (low tension coil feed in my case) to the tacho/clocks earth, via a resistor, as well as a direct connection from the signal wire to the Tacho?

Hutch - 16/5/12 at 05:16 PM

Thanks That is a very helpful site, I have stumbled across it before

That is the same tacho I have , for some reason I thought it was a vdo