Board logo

Zetec Alternator Wiring
Alfa145 - 9/3/13 at 09:15 PM

I've managed to fabricate brackets to get the original Blacktop zetec alternator to fit under the intake. But now it comes to wiring it. I can see where the main output comes from but there is a plug with 3 pins on it. Anyone tell me what these 3 pins are for?

big_wasa - 9/3/13 at 09:41 PM

This is Fords smart charge setup. The alternator is controled by the ecu. Its not as easy as sticking some voltage to it.
Ive used them before on cars with no wirring to the three pin plug at all and they will self excite and charge.
There are three wires on a multi plug...

One is the monitor wire, its just a live conection to see the battery voltage.

One is the charge light to the dash.

One is the command wire to the ecu.

Hope that helps

Alfa145 - 9/3/13 at 09:47 PM

Oh, didn't realise that. Bugger.

Is it safe to use without the ecu control? What are the risks? Don't fancy frying my battery.

loggyboy - 9/3/13 at 09:56 PM

Does this help? It sounds more complex than these sorts.
Description
Description

big_wasa - 9/3/13 at 10:03 PM

The alternator still has a regulator, One we did on a mates is still going fine after 2 years.

As far as I can tell the ecu just tells the ecu to stop charging some times to cut load. Its not a straight forward live or earth switch.

Alfa145 - 9/3/13 at 10:07 PM

So if I just stick a wire to the big terminal and ignore the 3 pins (until I work out which one is the charge light) it should work fine? Charge ok and not fry the battery?

big_wasa - 9/3/13 at 10:22 PM

Yep but I am not responsible.

I will have a look through my notes and tell you what pin does what when I get five minutes.

Alfa145 - 9/3/13 at 10:24 PM

Thanks, Much appreciated.

Alfa145 - 2/7/13 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Yep but I am not responsible.

I will have a look through my notes and tell you what pin does what when I get five minutes.

Hi,

Did you get chance to look up your notes on the three wires as I'm about to start wiring that chunk of the engine up tonight

big_wasa - 2/7/13 at 08:53 PM

Description
Description

Alternator monitor circuit Pin 2 on alt plug

Sorry I haven't got a lot more as all my notes are corrupt. I've changed computer and stuff just will not open.

If you put up a photo of the plug with the three wires it may jog my shite memory.

[Edited on 2/7/13 by big_wasa]

Alfa145 - 3/7/13 at 11:00 AM

Here's a pic of the plug.

Zetec Alternator Plug
Zetec Alternator Plug

If it's not clear. Grey is marked as 1, Blue as 2 and Red as 3.

So from what you say above my Alternator light wire should go to number 2 the blue wire?