Board logo

Ignition switch wiring- Ford Transit I think?
BigMac - 23/11/13 at 05:22 PM

Hi All

If anyone can help me with my query around my ignition switch, I'd be very grateful!

I'm in the process of wiring up a replacement ZX10R loom into the Westy. I've got to the ignition switch connectors and I'm not 100% on what each point on the ignition switch does? The switch has a variety of connection points on the back with numbers or letters attached, these are 15, 30, 50, R and P. I've scoured the web but I can't actually find a diagram showing me what feed goes where! Whilst I can get out the multimeter and check for continuity, I'd like the peace of mind of having seen and used a proper wiring diagram.

On taking the switch out of the barrel, it has a part number of B517X, which I think is a Ford Transit?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram showing what colour wires go to which number of terminal on the switch? I can find some diagrams/posts explaining what the wire colours are and what they do, but not what number on the switch relates to what colour wire!

Cheers,

Ben.

rusty nuts - 23/11/13 at 05:57 PM

15 should be ignition live, 30 battery positive can't remember the others, should be easy to test with a multimeter

Dusty - 23/11/13 at 06:17 PM

30 connects to battery positive and is the supply to the switch.
R is live when the key is turned to position 1 or the accessory position to allow a radio (or other accessories) to be run without the engine on. Remains live when key is turned to position 2 but goes dead when the switch is turned to position 3 whilst cranking.
15 becomes live in position 2 and supplies power to ignition live busbar/fuses. Remains live when the key is turned to position 3.
50 goes live when key is turned against the spring to position 3 for cranking and is the starter solenoid trigger.
P is live only when key is in 0 position. Parking lights.

[Edited on 23/11/13 by Dusty]

BigMac - 23/11/13 at 08:20 PM

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks very much Dusty!