Board logo

Wiring a Car - what material for a bus?
Ivan - 25/3/16 at 07:55 AM

I am busy rewiring the fuse box on my Cobra and want to make a bus with bolted wire takeoffs to the fuses to neaten the +ve side of the fuse box.

I have two suitable strips of metal - one Aluminium and the other Stainless steel - are either OK to use or should I get something else?

Bluemoon - 25/3/16 at 08:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I am busy rewiring the fuse box on my Cobra and want to make a bus with bolted wire takeoffs to the fuses to neaten the +ve side of the fuse box.

I have two suitable strips of metal - one Aluminium and the other Stainless steel - are either OK to use or should I get something else?

Copper strip, wiped with Vaseline or silicone grease?

Aluminium will corrode, Stainless is a poor conductor...

Dan

balidey - 25/3/16 at 09:33 AM

This any good to you?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/d190/Electrical+Accessories/sd2620/Earth+Block/p63372

Edwardo - 25/3/16 at 09:52 AM

I used these (although the 100A version) - either way they are still massively overated for the job:-

Auto & Marine Power Distribution Bus Bar 10 Way Screw - 150A

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

(The big red lead was just for testing something by the way)

I also used these for the earthing points rather than dodgy screw connections all over the frame:-

Neutral/Earth Bar JEW103A 100amp Brass Bar

Cheers
Tony

Ivan - 25/3/16 at 11:44 AM

Thanks guys - I will see if I can get a copper bus or something suited from the local electrical supplier once the Easter weekend is over.

Any other ideas are also welcome.

Mr Whippy - 25/3/16 at 12:37 PM

just make sure it can't come off in a crash or touch any thing metal (bearing in mind the body could be distorted) if it comes off the battery with no main fuse to it all hell could let rip

indykid - 25/3/16 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
just make sure it can't come off in a crash or touch any thing metal (bearing in mind the body could be distorted) if it comes off the battery with no main fuse to it all hell could let rip

Make sure it has a main fuse to it in any case

Toprivetguns - 25/3/16 at 04:25 PM

Very neat install - really like it.

quote:
Originally posted by Edwardo
I used these (although the 100A version) - either way they are still massively overated for the job:-

Auto & Marine Power Distribution Bus Bar 10 Way Screw - 150A

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

(The big red lead was just for testing something by the way)

I also used these for the earthing points rather than dodgy screw connections all over the frame:-

Neutral/Earth Bar JEW103A 100amp Brass Bar

Cheers
Tony

Ivan - 26/3/16 at 09:29 AM

Thanks to a suggestion from 02GF74 I will be making the bus from a piece of cut and flattened Cu water pipe. As suggested by him I can tabs from it or drill it and use bolted connections.