Board logo

Acewell 5656 gear indicator wiring
Boylers11 - 6/7/16 at 11:18 AM

My 893cc Locoblade is currently for sale and the only couple of jobs I'd like to complete are to calibrate the speedo (easily done) and wire in the gear indicator for the digi dash.

I have a red, white and green wire to the Acewell, but I'm struggling to find the connections to the bike engine.

I have a neutral switch cable from the front of the engine to a blue lead, then a random black cable which isn't connected to anything going to a purple lead (see diagram).

I then have a thicker cable from the front of the engine connecting to white and yellow wires:

Also is a pic of the ICM

I think the light green wire is the neutral switch, which goes to this component:

And here's the wiring diagram for the Acewell

The 'N' stands for neutral, but what do the P and R stand for?

Please help if you can!

Thanks in advance,

Tim

[Edited on 6/7/16 by Boylers11]

Adam - 6/7/16 at 12:54 PM

Looking at these instructions I'd say R is reverse gear And P is parking

http://www.acewell.co.uk/manuals/ACE-5XXX-EN.pdf

DJT - 6/7/16 at 02:08 PM

I wired my 'R' indicator to my Type-9 gearbox. Had to reverse the logic with a relay though. I don't use the other indcators: P/N/gears.

russbost - 7/7/16 at 07:54 AM

I think you are over complicating things re the bike engine wiring, which has obviously been substantially messed with, hence the crimp connectors etc.

You simply need the wire from the Neutral switch, which it would appear you have identified, when Neutral is selected that wire should go to earth via the switch, I would suggest check this is happening b4 you start. Assuming the wire goes to earth when Neutral selected (but is open circuit in all other gears) then that wire is all you need & should be connected to the green wire on the Acewell, you will see from the diagram that the green wire needs to go to earth via a switch for the light to work.

The P & R connectors are indeed for Park & Reverse, you have to remember that this dash also gets used in mainstream vehicles where those may be requirements.

With regard to the gear indicator, other than for neutral, that is something which you have to "teach" the unit once you have the speedo up & running accurately, using the setup program, you run the car in each gear (I always do it on securely placed axle stands rather than on the road) whilst "telling" the Acewell thro' the setup prog which gear you are in, it thus recognises specific rpm bands to given speeds within each gear & will always "know" what gear you are in, it has no connection with the Neutral light/wiring whatsoever, that purely brings the Neutral light on

Boylers11 - 10/7/16 at 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info chaps