Board logo

Using BMW indicator stalks?
CTLeeds - 6/9/16 at 04:55 PM

Hi, I was planning on using a BMW 3 series steering column and stalks on my build but a small amount of investigation has revealed that the stalks don't offer anything as simple as closed contacts for indicators or lights etc, I guess it must be a CANBUS or similar system? Does anyone have any experience using these stalks and does anyone make an adapter to make BMW logic into good old fashioned analogue switches?

Thanks,

Chris

snowy2 - 6/9/16 at 05:03 PM

why not just use some other switches?

turbodisplay - 6/9/16 at 07:52 PM

At least you know the indicators will have been barely used, full beam will be well used though.
Canbus will normally have 4 wires, if it is lin it will probally be 3 I beleive.

tegwin - 6/9/16 at 08:16 PM

It must have simple switches in there somewhere. Open up the electronics box and see what's in there... I'd guess some copper strips from the contacts going into a circuit board. Re-engineer it to give you logic outputs

hearbear - 7/9/16 at 07:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
It must have simple switches in there somewhere. Open up the electronics box and see what's in there... I'd guess some copper strips from the contacts going into a circuit board. Re-engineer it to give you logic outputs

As he said even if they are can switches can still needs a mechanical switch to tell it you have selected a function. If you can re engineer them just be aware that the contacts probably will not be able to take any load so you would have to be careful as a relay may be to much load for them.

britishtrident - 7/9/16 at 08:31 AM

In the donor it is all processed by the LCM --- Lighting Control Module ---- don't even go there! it is unbelieveable over complex. However has others have posted the LCM is simple connected to the switched by wires. Just add a couple of relays to the wiring as the switch contacts and wire are unlikely to handle the full current

[Edited on 7/9/16 by britishtrident]