Board logo

EPS or not to EPS
Huttojb - 11/8/17 at 11:37 AM

All.

Some of you might know my progress so far.. if you don't here is a link

My Previous Post

I have been on and off my car for a few years now, I brought it built and wanted to do something that interest me, Over the last few years (Took a lot longer then expected due to life and wedding and that) I have ripped out most of my electronics and re-wired my vehicle.

The vehicle is on a CANbus, which allowed monitoring of any signal you want and graphing the results. This will allow a lap in the car to be monitored, seeing when and where the brake is pressed, the clutch, angle of steering wheel, speed and RPM on a corner, etc.... You can see where I'm going with this!!!

Well, I fitted an EPS to my Tiger and was going to see if it was something I would like to market... I have a lot of interest in EPS and understand them a fair bit. I fit them to F1 Boat Racing with a real success.

F1 Boat

I would like to see people opinion and see if anyone would like to fit it in to there vehicle at Cost. The Cost to me is around £100 to supply the EPS and Electronics. My issue is that every person who builds there car picks the speed up in a different manner, causing either a configuration option to be used or a communication to the customer and the software written specific.

Just throwing the conversation out there to see anyone's interest.

Jason
]

gremlin1234 - 11/8/17 at 08:15 PM

eps?
electric/electronic power steering?

edit
ps 2153

[Edited on 11/8/17 by gremlin1234]

Huttojb - 11/8/17 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
eps?
electric/electronic power steering?

edit
ps 2153

[Edited on 11/8/17 by gremlin1234]

Yes. An electric power steering system that can be tuned if required.

coyoteboy - 12/8/17 at 01:42 PM

I may be wrong, but I think people like the lack of power steering (unless injured or struggle for some reason) because of the increased feedback and precise feel. I can't imagine anyone wanting to add weight and complexity to lose feel. Once moving at more than a mile an hour or two there's really no need for power steering, even on most tin-tops.

loggyboy - 12/8/17 at 03:04 PM

I think more modern eps sytems are offering better feedback these days. However going between my 2 clios (2004 182 with hydraulic and 2007 197 with EPS) the 182 feels so much more positive and more connected. I wouldnt be bothered with eps on a fast road/track oriented kit, so unless its heavy or a car used for more relaxing or day to day driving cant see uptake being hugely positive.