Board logo

hazard fast flash - SOLVED
chris_smith - 8/11/17 at 05:20 PM

iv used the original mx5 loom, original mx5 hazard switch/relay, RDX led rear indicators, motorbike front indicators, and led side repeaters

when operating indicators to turn left or right everything flashes at correct speed

when operating hazards i get fast flash? but if i disconnect the front indicators it flashes at normal speed?

anyone know whats going on or how to solve?

[Edited on 9/11/17 by chris_smith]

nick205 - 8/11/17 at 05:23 PM

On older cars a blown bulb used to make them flash faster - have you checked all the bulbs are working?

chris_smith - 8/11/17 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
On older cars a blown bulb used to make them flash faster - have you checked all the bulbs are working?

all indicators work fine when operating for turn signal

rusty nuts - 8/11/17 at 06:10 PM

Try replacing the LEDs with bulbs.

martin500 - 8/11/17 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris_smith
iv used the original mx5 loom, original mx5 hazard switch/relay, RDX led rear indicators, motorbike front indicators, and led side repeaters

when operating indicators to turn left or right everything flashes at correct speed

when operating hazards i get fast flash? but if i disconnect the front indicators it flashes at normal speed?

anyone know whats going on or how to solve?

You probably need resistors because the LED lamps have a different resistance to conventional bulbs, google LED flasher resistors

Martin

gremlin1234 - 9/11/17 at 10:34 AM

quote:
You probably need resistors because the LED lamps have a different resistance to conventional bulbs, google LED flasher resistors

or a more modern 'electronic' flasher unit

Mr Whippy - 9/11/17 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:

or a more modern 'electronic' flasher unit

yeah you can get an LED chip controlled flasher relay from Halfords (just two connections) which solves all these problems

chris_smith - 9/11/17 at 05:24 PM

Problem now solved thanks for everyone’s input

Used resistors

avagolen - 9/11/17 at 05:25 PM

If your flasher is 3 pin, you can also get fixed rate flashers in that format.

The important term is 'fixed rate' .

The disadvantage is that you do not get any indication of a failed bulb / led