Board logo

Is anyone using an electric line lock / roll control system?
TimC - 11/11/17 at 09:55 PM

Quite simply, does the solenoid make a noise when energised?

Mine doesn’t and this worries me.

scootz - 12/11/17 at 12:53 PM

I've been looking at the Hurst one with the thought of using it as a handbrake for the very few hill-starts that I'll be doing.

Clearly not what it's designed for, and it's not a road legal handbrake, but it would make for a really neat install.

TimC - 12/11/17 at 04:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I've been looking at the Hurst one with the thought of using it as a handbrake for the very few hill-starts that I'll be doing.

Clearly not what it's designed for, and it's not a road legal handbrake, but it would make for a really neat install.

Yes that’s what I’ve installed - in theory for slightly sloping grid starts. I just wish that I knew it was working. Obviously I’ll find out when I fill the brake system but it would be nice to know that all is okay now.

scootz - 12/11/17 at 09:31 PM

They're common in the States, and considered to be fairly robust bits of kit.

Oddified - 12/11/17 at 11:38 PM

I have the Hurst one fitted on my Kitten for a line lock doing drag racing. I have it connected up so- apply brakes in burn out area, press push button, release brakes but front remains locked, spin up/smoke, release button unlocks front and roll/power out of burn out to line.

Works very very well. There's no audible click on operation that i've ever heard.

Ian

[Edited on 12/11/17 by Oddified]

Kdempsie - 13/11/17 at 07:46 AM

It's usually possible to check if the solenoid is work (electrically at least) by energising it off and on holding a small screwdriver at the top of it, you will feel the screw driver pulled towards it at the coil is switched on.

scootz - 13/11/17 at 10:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

Yes that’s what I’ve installed - in theory for slightly sloping grid starts. I just wish that I knew it was working. Obviously I’ll find out when I fill the brake system but it would be nice to know that all is okay now.

Did you get the 'on' LED with your kit... I know it's not a fail-safe, but handy nonetheless.

TimC - 13/11/17 at 11:49 AM

I’ve checked continuity and can see a change in resistance when on so I guess all is well.

Thanks, as ever, for the input.

TC