Board logo

Brake test switch wiring
CTLeeds - 28/1/18 at 11:05 AM

Hi all,

I've wired the whole of my Rush successfully apart from the following...

I bought one of these... https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/iva-rocker-switch-brake-warning-and-test. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for it? It doesn't seem to want to light even if I connect the illumination contacts directly to a battery with the switch in the on or off position, I'm a bit baffled to be honest. I'm sure I'm missing something?

Any help appreciated.

Chris

ReMan - 28/1/18 at 11:15 AM

Does it light if you put the power across the lamp terminals? {the spades I believe}
Edited to say, I think you’ve already said that it doesn’t, in which case it’s faulty

[Edited on 28/1/18 by ReMan]

CosKev3 - 28/1/18 at 12:41 PM

Yeah it must be faulty, if it's only got two terminals on rear and you've put power straight to it?

CosKev3 - 28/1/18 at 12:45 PM

Ah it's got 4 connections,and is back lit.

Is there no ID markings near the terminals?

CTLeeds - 28/1/18 at 01:30 PM

That's what I thought, so I destroyed the first one I bought trying to work out how it worked. I bought a second and that doesn't work either do unless there's a dodgy batch I'm doing something wrong.

gremlin1234 - 28/1/18 at 01:50 PM

this page should help
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/117159-brake-test-switch/

essentially the lamp is between the spades, and the switch the pins on the back

CTLeeds - 28/1/18 at 02:40 PM

Thanks for your replies chaps. Gremlin, thanks for this, it will hopefully sort it out.

Cheers

mcerd1 - 29/1/18 at 09:39 AM

do you really need the test switch ?

I always thought it was sufficient to use the handbrake switch to activate the low fluid warning light - that way your handbrake is your 'test facility'
and all you need on the dash is a single warning light for all 3 functions (i.e. handbrake, low fluid and brake failure)
Even my old 90's tin-tops used this setup (pre CAN bus) - simple and cheap with no extra switches required

(see note 3 in section 09D of the IVA manual)

[Edited on 29/1/2018 by mcerd1]