Board logo

Kenlowe fan thermostat
DanP - 22/7/18 at 12:52 PM

Hi,

Trying to keep my V8 a bit cooler so I installed a kenlowe fan stat and I want to adjust the switch on temperature, does anyone know which way I need to turn the potentiometer to lower the ‘on’ point?

Thanks,
Dan

This it the style I have: http://www.burtonpower.com/kenlowe-thermostat-kit-external-25a-kenklm2150.html

02GF74 - 22/7/18 at 04:43 PM

Clockwise to increase the temperature the fan turns on.

Does it not show on the knob.

In case I'm wrong, put knob midway, run engine until fan comes on, then turn it clockwise and fan should turn off.

Incidentally the v8, as indeed all engines, are designed to run at specific temperatures, running g it at lower temp than design is not a good idea, it needs to get hot enough to get rid of water vapour in the oil for example.

What is the problem you are trying to solve.

DanP - 22/7/18 at 07:07 PM

Hi,

Thanks, It’s not written on it, it’s just a potentiometer (variable resistor) that you adjust with a screw driver. For ease of mounting I buried it in the nose cone so I’d rather not try to adjust it with it running or else I need to remove the nose and get the headlights back into alignment after (just being lazy really). I’m assuming the water thermostat will stop me over cooling it.

The engine runs about 91 when moving but creeps up to 100 when moving slowly and hit 116 in traffic once, I used to have the fan on a button and it never used to get too hot, the car has been sat for a few years and whilst it was off the road I swapped to a thermostatic fan controller but the mistake I think I made was that I mounted the temp sensor strapped to the front of the rad rather than pushing it through the fins - so I think it is reading the temp wrong.

I’m really trying to prove to myself the issue is the fan activation point that is the issue before I start draining coolant and flushing things and testing thermostats.

Cheers,
Dan

02GF74 - 22/7/18 at 08:53 PM

The sensor should be in the water, not strapped to fins etc.

Have you looked at an inline hose connector sender, probably not what it is called but see ebay item 191931003649 for example.

These can take a variety of different senders that switch at one or even two temperatures. I seem to recall there is one sensor thread that allows a bigger range but the alloy connector need to be drilled and tapped, from memory m14, which is what I did.

If the temperature is hitting 116 with fan running, adjusting kenlowe temperature is not going to solve it, you need to look at the radiator, fan, cowling, air in and air out pathways.

Oh, a nd don't get hung up on kenlowe being the bees knees, you are likely to get better results with a fan from a car and cowling and be cheaper too.

Are you able to post pictures of your rad and fan, and give I go about the size each.

The rover, I assume that is what we are talking about, v8 is a beast and does generate a lot of heat.

[Edited on 22/7/18 by 02GF74]

02GF74 - 22/7/18 at 09:18 PM

Search eBay for temperature joiner
For example 172575040943. Cheap and available for different hose diameters.

DanP - 23/7/18 at 06:06 PM

Thanks for the advice but it is meant to be mounted to the outside of the rad.

Seems like kenlowe have stopped making aftermarket parts but I may try ringing them up.

02GF74 - 23/7/18 at 06:35 PM

I'm no expert on kenlowe fans but the ones I've seen have two L shaped tubes that are mounted in the engine bay to which the fan attaches and being pusher type, are sited in front of the radiator.

There's cooling and effective cooling, we need to know more details, as per questions above.