Board logo

Mx5 Ignition barrel HELP
kevyo89 - 10/6/19 at 09:33 PM

Hoping someone in this group can help - I'm fitting the ignition barrel from a mk2.5 mx5 1.8 VVT to my car and I'm having difficulties figuring out what the terminals on the barrel mean (and where my battery live/ignition/starter wires go).

There are the following positions on the key barrel:

- Off
- Accessory
- Ignition on
- Start

Is anyone able to help/advise on where I should position/join my three wires to this barrel?



[Edited on 10/6/19 by kevyo89]


paulc - 11/6/19 at 05:46 PM

This is what I concluded with my MX5 ignition switch.
(I'm not sure if its a Mk2 or a Mk2.5 of if theres a difference)

Description
Description


I've had the car started so i'm fairly happy its correct

Paul C


kevyo89 - 11/6/19 at 05:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paulc
This is what I concluded with my MX5 ignition switch.
(I'm not sure if its a Mk2 or a Mk2.5 of if theres a difference)

Description
Description


I've had the car started so i'm fairly happy its correct

Paul C


Thank you mate, that's a good help but can you just confirm what that means in terms of wiring position? Where did you connect each wire?


paulc - 11/6/19 at 06:18 PM

No worries.

B1, B2 are connected together to a fused 12V feed. (Battery Live)

ACC currently nothing connected, but I'll probably add a USB power socket for my phone/sat nav powered from the connection

IG1 is my switched 12V to everything. (Ignition)

IG2 currently nothing connected. I think on the MX5 its used for things like the rear screen demister

START is connected to the solonoid on the started motor.

Paul C


kevyo89 - 11/6/19 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paulc
No worries.

B1, B2 are connected together to a fused 12V feed. (Battery Live)

ACC currently nothing connected, but I'll probably add a USB power socket for my phone/sat nav powered from the connection

IG1 is my switched 12V to everything. (Ignition)

IG2 currently nothing connected. I think on the MX5 its used for things like the rear screen demister

START is connected to the solonoid on the started motor.

Paul C


Thanks Paul - and you've not had any issues with it like that so far?


paulc - 11/6/19 at 06:53 PM

The car isn't on the road yet.

Ive had the engine running, and checked out all of the electrics so I'm pretty happy with it.

I wasn't sure how much current I could draw through the IG1 terminal so anything that uses a significant ammout of power I've used a relay.


miskit - 11/6/19 at 11:03 PM

Oh and important - see that little connector with the twisty wires in your pic- that's not the key left in alarm - it's the immobiliser chip reader.
You can guess how I know!

EDIT - just realised you are fitting the MX5 barrel to a car, not the other way round..

[Edited on 11/6/19 by miskit]


kevyo89 - 11/6/19 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by miskit
Oh and important - see that little connector with the twisty wires in your pic- that's not the key left in alarm - it's the immobiliser chip reader.
You can guess how I know!

EDIT - just realised you are fitting the MX5 barrel to a car, not the other way round..

[Edited on 11/6/19 by miskit]


Yeah mate I had a full custom loom made but wanted to retain the original mx5 ignition barrel mounted to the steering column