Board logo

Acewell Dash - Speedo issue
Mr.P - 4/4/20 at 04:48 PM

I have rebuilt my Tiger Avon over winter new type 9 box last year and now fresh new engine. Had the car running this week so all good..

I have an Acewell 7859 dash cluster

I have never got the speedo to work, I brought a speedo converter for the type 9 box but doesnt seem to work. Either I`m doing something wrong or is there any other options. Reed Sensor etc?? I use the vehicle purely for track very rare I need speedo but my OCD is kicking in.

Any advise welcome to get it working please

theduck - 5/4/20 at 08:13 PM

Never managed to get my acewell dash to work with type 9 gearbox speed sensor from burton, worked find with a reed switch setup though.

Mr.P - 5/4/20 at 08:17 PM

Have you got any pics of how it was mounted ???

theduck - 6/4/20 at 07:54 AM

Afraid not and not got that car anymore. Was just a simple bracket from the trans tunnel though and a magnet on the prop.

russbost - 6/4/20 at 10:05 AM

Do you know what signal the speedo converter puts out, I would expect it to be a Hall sensor? If that's the case. most likely it will be 3 wires, +12v, earth & the 3rd wire will be your signal wire which you connect to the Acewell along with earth as the second wire to the Acewell input

This is the info from the FAQ's on Furore Products website "The ACE 3252 & 3254 & the 4XXX, 5XXX, 6XXX & 7XXX units all have a faster processor & can operate with gearbox sensors that generate a square wave output between 0 & at least 2.7V, up to a max of 12V. On some vehicles it is necessary to add a resistor or transistor to pull the output wire down to 0v in the offstate of the output.
The models specified above can work with a maximum input frequency of 7KHz, square wave""

So your 7859 has the fast processor & will run with anything outputting a 2.7V to 12V (IIRC, they are usually outputting between 2.7 & 5V max) squarewave - depending on the frequency you would need to play around with the "P" pulse screen setting on the Acewell to get the correct no. of pulses per revolution, any fine accuracy can then be "tuned" by changing the "C" circumference setting up or down by a few %, easy to check final accuracy with GPS on a phone (once we're actually allowed out again!)

Alternatively run the standard magnet & reed switch, I always feel it's better to run it from a driveshaft where possible simply because the prop is going to be spinning over 3 x as fast

SJ - 6/4/20 at 02:42 PM

quote:

I always feel it's better to run it from a driveshaft where possible simply because the prop is going to be spinning over 3 x as fast

Probably true, but prop works fine as well.

Mr.P - 9/4/20 at 06:19 PM

My Acewell has a two wire plug.

Just posted in a FB page and he said he ran a converter from Burton Power along with a Fiesta MK4 electronic speedo which I founf on ebay, HOWEVER this seems to be 3 wire so cant see how this will work,when mines only 2 wire.

russbost - 9/4/20 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.P
My Acewell has a two wire plug.

Just posted in a FB page and he said he ran a converter from Burton Power along with a Fiesta MK4 electronic speedo which I founf on ebay, HOWEVER this seems to be 3 wire so cant see how this will work,when mines only 2 wire.

You need to know what the Burton adapter is putting out. The Acewell is looking for a square wave input, one wire is earth the other is for the signal, if the Burton sender has 3 wires I would expect one to be earth, one positive & the other the signal wire, the 2 signal wires would connect together & IF the Burton sender outputs a square wave of more then 2.7V it should work. I would suggest set "P" at around 40 as a start point with the correct tyre circumference & if it works you can sdjust for accuracy by playing with P & C settings

If you really don't understand about square wave outputs/signals/frequency etc. then just use the magnet & reed switch

Mr.P - 10/4/20 at 06:38 AM

Thank you for the info. I have limited knowledge on this so I`m taking any advice I set the tyre diameter in the acewell HOWEVER i dont think i set the P setting (My bad) I`ll try that first and run it up on the ramp

If no joy I`ll look at the reed setup

Mr.P - 10/4/20 at 01:39 PM

****UPDATE****

Tried setting up again with the type 9 electronic sensor plugged in but still no joy.

I then found the Acewell box and didnt realise the hall sensor was in there. Mounted magnet on driveshaft and made up a small bracket to mount the hall sensor, plugged in and to picks up.

Just need to weld the bracket to make a nicer job but now looks like it will all work.

Thank you so much guys for the advice