Board logo

Sierra Electronic Ignition
dnmalc - 1/1/21 at 05:45 PM

I am trying to cobble together an ignition system to get my engine running on the standard carbs. I have a range of components it can be based upon but at this stage I am not sure I have anything which will constitute a complete system. I have:-

the hall effect dizzy but no inductive dizzy.
the original coil and also the latter coil pack,
the sierra ignition module EDIS4 and 83BB12A199B3A

I know that the simplest solution would be based upon the 6 wire 83BB12A199B3A if I could find an inductive dizzy, but as these are becoming rare would it work with the Hall effect dizzy?

If not, I wondered if it is possible to use the EDIS4, the hall effect dizzy and either coil option but without the need for a trigger wheel, VRS and EEC module?

Mr Whippy - 2/1/21 at 11:31 AM

I would ditch all that nonsense and just fit a new electronic dizzy and matching coil like one of these

Ebay link

mcerd1 - 2/1/21 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dnmalc
If not, I wondered if it is possible to use the EDIS4, the hall effect dizzy and either coil option but without the need for a trigger wheel, VRS and EEC module?

No - the EDIS4 is looking for the timing signal you get from a VR sensor and 36-1 trigger wheel running at crank speed (its a wasted spark system so it doesn't care which half of the cycle cylinder 1 is on - it fires on both)

Ford did make a standalone equivalent to the EDIS4 - look for an 'ESC' module - it looks similar (sometimes with a red case, but the ones I've found were black), but has a Vac. connection and doesn't require an ECU - you can still find these, but they were never all that common as they were mostly on early 90's fiesta's and similar (1.3 and 1.6 HCS engines I think, these are a good option for OE plug leads for the coilpack )
this still needs a VR sensor with a 36-1 trigger wheel.

You could run the engine on the EDIS4 with a trigger wheel, VR sensor and coil pack - but this will give you a static 10° advance (i.e ford's built in 'limp home mode' )
this is a great way to get it up and running - but then you'll need to add some kind of ECU to control the advance if you want to drive the car
a megajolt has been favorite for this for years now - and can use either a MAP sensor or a TPS (MAP sensor is easiest for single carb's, TPS is easier for multiple carb's) to give you a 3D ignition map (gives better throttle response and fuel economy than a 2D map)

maybe keep an eye open for an older MJ ECU - they still come up for sale every now and then - just note you'll the right USB-serial adapter (or a PC with a real serial port)
the new version seems to have had a fair few updates (USB, built-in rev limiter etc..) but its a bit more expensive than the old ones

there are a few other standalone spark only ECU's around, but most don't use the EDIS4 and so tend to cost a bit more again

just note that a trigger wheel is nothing fancy and shouldn't cost more than ~£20 (I can send you a CAD file if you want to get one cut yourself)
the VR sensor should be less than £5 and you'll find a suitable one on almost any ford petrol of the era (HCS, Zetec E, Zetec SE etc....)
and the mounting bracket doesn't need to be anything fancy - just stiff enough not to vibrate and upset the gap for the sensor
plenty places will sell you a 'complete kit' but most cost a lot more than sourcing yourself

quote:
Originally posted by dnmalc
I know that the simplest solution would be based upon the 6 wire 83BB12A199B3A if I could find an inductive dizzy, but as these are becoming rare would it work with the Hall effect dizzy?

In a word - No

the hall effect sensor in the later dizzy is just a crank position sensor running at ½ crank speed to give a signal to the OE ford ECU (EEC-IV)

these guys were doing some stand alone systems using the Hall effect type's casting: https://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/ / FB linky
from memory they were using a much more modern amp setup than most with a single dry coil
I've had a few bits and bobs from them before - great guys to deal with, well worth a call

just note that most aftermarket setup's have the vac. advance removed to make it easier when setting up multiple carb's - this makes them only a 2D ignition map

[Edited on 2/1/2021 by mcerd1]

dnmalc - 22/1/21 at 05:03 AM

Thank you all for the reply mercd1 reply with VR and trigger wheel seems to be the option i will go with.

dnmalc - 22/1/21 at 05:03 AM

Thank you all for the reply mercd1 reply with VR and trigger wheel seems to be the option i will go with.