Board logo

Focus in-tank fuel pump union O ring seals question
John Bonnett - 29/7/21 at 05:33 PM

I'd be grateful for some guidance please regarding the number and placement of the sealing O rings. Here is the fitting I'm using. It shows a seal between the clip and the rib. Is this correct? And are there three O seals placed on the spigot tube?

Thank you for you help.

John

obfripper - 29/7/21 at 06:18 PM

The o-rings go into the female fitting, iirc there should be o-ring - plastic spacer - o-ring - red clip.
Once pushed into the fitting, the red clip holds the parts within the fitting, and locks to the bayonet on the spigot tube when pushed into place.

I can only see the picture of the spigot, if you have an aluminium version of the original ford female fitting it may work differently, ie some similar oem fittings have internal grooves which the o-rings sit into.

Dave

John Bonnett - 29/7/21 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
The o-rings go into the female fitting, iirc there should be o-ring - plastic spacer - o-ring - red clip.
Once pushed into the fitting, the red clip holds the parts within the fitting, and locks to the bayonet on the spigot tube when pushed into place.

I can only see the picture of the spigot, if you have an aluminium version of the original ford female fitting it may work differently, ie some similar oem fittings have internal grooves which the o-rings sit into.

Dave

Dave, I'm indebted to you for taking the trouble to reply. Thank you.

They are plastic fittings on the pump as shown in the photo. I'm having to use the OE pipe because there is a clearance problem going straight from the pump unions to the AN fittings. So as I understand you within the female housing are two O rings with a plastic spacer between them and when the spigot is pushed in the O rings slide onto it. There should be no ring adjacent to the clip as shown in the previous photo?

Thank you once again

John

obfripper - 29/7/21 at 07:15 PM

That's correct, there's no o-ring on that side of the plastic clip. There is usually some endfloat free play when latched, but that is normal so long as the clip engages correctly.

Dave

John Bonnett - 29/7/21 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
That's correct, there's no o-ring on that side of the plastic clip. There is usually some endfloat free play when latched, but that is normal so long as the clip engages correctly.

Dave

Fantastic Dave. Thank you so much.

Best regards

John