Board logo

stoooopid headlamp bulb question
02GF74 - 8/1/08 at 10:00 AM

headlamps using bulbs that have both low and main beam elements e.g. H4 bulbs as fittedto 7 inch bowls in 98.7 % of 7 and 100% or cobras - when dipped beam is swtiched on and the main beam stalk is pulled, are both elements on?

likewise if headlamps are off and main beam stalk is oulled e.g. to flash - does the dipped beam come on?

Rhys aka Celtic Tools - 8/1/08 at 10:03 AM

from my experience the elements operate individually
and when you flash your head lamps just the high beam comes on

Howlor - 8/1/08 at 10:04 AM

I think normally the dipped beam goes off.

Steve

dan__wright - 8/1/08 at 10:05 AM

depends how you wire it but normally its

if you flash full co mes on regardless if dipped are on.

dipped beam = dipped, full = full only, flash with light off = full only, dipped beam on then flash = both filaments on.

dan__wright - 8/1/08 at 10:06 AM

yeah dipped goes off when on full but if its to flash the lights will stay as they are + full

BenB - 8/1/08 at 10:24 AM

It depends how it's wired

I've got it on mine so both can be on at the same time. I think normally the wiring is set-up so the dipped filament goes off when you put on mainbeam. My setup has a few pros/cons

Disadvantages- higher power consumption, possibility of bulb overheating

Advantage- brighter, dipped beam isn't being switched on / off IE lower risk of blowing

Advantage-

graememk - 8/1/08 at 10:40 AM

Its not offen i use main beam in my indy anyway, not very offen out when its that dark.

but mine are wired so that only one bulb is on at a time but when i flash the lights both light up.

02GF74 - 8/1/08 at 11:14 AM

hmmmmmm ... I don't like the idea of having both filaments on atthe same time so I guess I haven't fixed by lamp problem after all then - that wpold explain why there is a change over relay ... and why it worked before .... so what the hell did I change ????

[Edited on 8/1/08 by 02GF74]

RazMan - 8/1/08 at 11:15 AM

Best to use the filaments separately as the bulb is likely to overheat. Also bear in mind you will drawing over 16 Amps with both beams on (standard bulbs) so watch out for your loom overheating too.