Board logo

"Sexist" insurance
Ninehigh - 1/3/11 at 08:09 AM

Just heard on the news (less than a minute ago) that the fact that women pay less for car insurance (in some cases by half) than men, and this is sexist and should be banned.

As a result of this women are looking at a massive increase in insurance prices.

Is there anywhere stupidity doesn't reign or am I confusing my total cynicism with genius?

Thinking about it - 1/3/11 at 08:14 AM

Linky

Daddylonglegs - 1/3/11 at 08:23 AM

I've often wondered about the 'truth' of the statistics which say women are safer than men. Not to stir up a sexist war, but there used to be an awfl lot of women who were simply named drivers on their partner's insurance. The problem there is, if the woman has a prang, the insurance simply puts in a statistic as a claim on the man's insurance, hence the numbers say that men make more claims than women, ipso facto men are more risk and so policies are higher for men!

Might not be so true now, but I know for a fact that the female BMW driver that wrote off my son's car at a junction was on her husband's insurance (bet she had fun explaining how she'd caused several £000s of damage to their nice new beemer )

Anyway, just my tuppence worth

r1_pete - 1/3/11 at 08:24 AM

IF the evidence is there to support the FACT that women are safer drivers, then why shouldn't it be cheaper?? At 50 I dont expect to pay the same as a 17 year old and don't, is that ageist?? where will it stop??

This is just another case of namby pamby political correctness over sound facts.

We will soon be going back to proclaiming the earth is flat, because there are a minority who cannot understand why half the globes population dont fall off!!!!

karlak - 1/3/11 at 08:26 AM

Not sure why the insurance companies should make any more money out of this, but I guess they will.

What should happen if approved, is that the lads insurance should drop somewhat and the girls increase to make the gap less huge in what they pay. Not a popular move I suppose, especially for the lass's, but the insurance company will just maximise their profits i guess.

Just really gets me how the Boys are presumed to be idiots and charged accordingly for accidents that they may well not have. I honestly find myself avoiding incidents with both sets of young drivers, cant say girls are any better than boys. It should be an even playing field, but if you have a self fault accident then you are hammered.

Does a 17 year old tw*t drive any differently having paid £3500 for insurance as opposed to £1500 ? I think not, in fact what is more likely is that they will drive uninsured as they get truly priced out of the market.

cliftyhanger - 1/3/11 at 08:32 AM

Just saw this on the BEEB. An insurance bloke reckoned that the result would be more expensive premiums for women. ie they would not reduce blokes insurances as they are the "problem" (my words not his)
Agree with comments above. As we are not allowed to be sexist, agesist or presumably disabilityist, wger-you-live-ist and all those other things, does it ultimately mean everybody will pay the same premiums no matter what?
I wonder if they may make the NCD discount better as a result to reward non-claiming drivers and reduce their premiums. But as noted elsewhere, this all makes not insuring a vehicle more worthwhile. Which is why I LIKE the ANPR cameras.

dogwood - 1/3/11 at 09:03 AM

On my insurance I went from just me driving to
me or my wife, and It went down.....

No complaints here..

My wife has just been telling me about the "Sexist" ruling
I would say what a load of bollox, but that's probably sexist as well

Insurance should be on risk assessment not if I have a "Lady garden" or "meat and 2 veg"

ashg - 1/3/11 at 09:13 AM

it wont get through. premiums are based on factual statistics. there is no prejudice involved.

the only way it would ever get through is if they can prove that the insurance statistics are wrong or flawed.

BUT! if they did it would only outcome in a change to how they are calculated and possibly more external regulation which will ultimately be funded for by.................................. yep you guessed it............... US the average man/woman.

karlak - 1/3/11 at 09:16 AM

Seems like it has got through - hot off the press

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

"Insurers cannot charge different premiums to men and women because of their gender, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled.

The decision means that women can no longer be charged lower car insurance premiums than men."

designer - 1/3/11 at 09:56 AM

More profits for the insurance people!

Like the Poll tax the price will go to the maximum, with no thoughts of 'averaging' out.

RichieW - 1/3/11 at 10:07 AM

GET IN!! No more "Sheila's Wheels" adverts.

Thank god for the the EU.....

phelpsa - 1/3/11 at 10:29 AM

So does this mean i will no longer be able to get a sensible premium by adding my mother as a named driver? Thanks EU idiots....

scootz - 1/3/11 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RichieW
GET IN!! No more "Sheila's Wheels" adverts.

Thank god for the the EU.....

Ha Ha... you beat me to it!

Small price to pay methinks!

Fozzie - 1/3/11 at 10:51 AM

Ooooo very narrow minded ... of the 'powers that be' that is.......

So.....if it's true that younger/females in general have fewer insurance claims, then...why should it not be cheaper?
Oh...and statistics also show that more young women/girls actually do their 'pass plus' after passing their driving tests then then lads........

Also....the insurance hikes that we have all faced over recent years, have been due...'they' say
to (mainly) young men not having insurance and pranging their cars........and excessive claims due to bad weather......
Is that not also victimisation on the older/no claims peeps?

So...you are happy to pay up to cover the costs on uninsured drivers/bad weather claims...but not to have a difference in cost if, statistics are right, that younger men make the highest claims?

Oh...and there is many a man who is the named driver on the other half's policy to make it cheaper for them......

Having lads and lasses myself, there are good and bad in both.......sadly it is more often the lads who on the day they have pass their tests think they are on par with Button, Hamilton et al, than the lasses

Just my two penny worth and IMHO .....

Fozzie

Edit to add..........What would you guys think if the situation was reversed? .....

[Edited on 1-3-11 by Fozzie]

smart51 - 1/3/11 at 10:59 AM

I once heard an "insurance industry expert" on the radio who said that 86% of drivers were average risk and that the median risk was the same for men and women. The difference was that there is more spread of risk with men. The men who were not "average" is divided by those who are excellent drivers and those who are high risk and that there were quite a lot in each group. There were few women in each group, so fewer girl racers than boy racers.

Alfa145 - 1/3/11 at 11:02 AM

Hopefully someone will tell the meddling EU arseh**es to Bog off and leave our laws alone.

Confused but excited. - 1/3/11 at 11:19 AM

Or is it that they have realised that women drivers don't have accidents, they just cause them?

[Edited on 1/3/11 by Confused but excited.]

James - 1/3/11 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
Hopefully someone will tell the meddling EU arseh**es to Bog off and leave our laws alone.

You realise it's thanks to the EC anti-ageism rulings that you now can't be forced to retire at 65. Oh, and can't be refused for a job application because of your age.

There's good and bad from it!

Cheers,
James

coyoteboy - 1/3/11 at 11:48 AM

At the end of the day, insurance is a product we buy and that product can be whatever price the seller chooses to set. If we had state-run, not for profit, insurance like some countries we would pay notably less for plain old 3rd party cover and the only thing you'd be charged more for would be fire and theft cover on top, meaning everyone can afford the basic insurance so no-one is left without recompense in a crash,but you pay on top if you want to protect your pride and joy.

quote:

You realise it's thanks to the EC anti-ageism rulings that you now can't be forced to retire at 65. Oh, and can't be refused for a job application because of your age.

Not really, it's a piece of cake to work around both of those "laws" if the employer wishes to, you'd find it virtually impossible to prove them wrong.

[Edited on 1/3/11 by coyoteboy]

MikeRJ - 1/3/11 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James

There's good and bad from it!

Cheers,
James

So how long until the EC decides that basing your insurance premium on your age, location, type of car or any other possible risk factor is discriminatory?

The EC appear to completely misunderstand the entire concept of insurance as a risk management tool. They are often blamed for ridiculous laws that turn out to be urban legends, but for me they have completely blown any last shred of credibility they might have had with this fantastically stupid ruling.

Maybe I should point the EC towards the Womens Institute, surely a hotbed of discrimination that should be disbanded immediately

[Edited on 1/3/11 by MikeRJ]

Alfa145 - 1/3/11 at 12:35 PM

Presumably you can join the Womens institue if you wish as they now can't say no to men as thats discrimination.....

...same goes for the women only swimming sessions at my local pool, I assume they're now illegal?

norfolkluego - 1/3/11 at 12:38 PM

It's not just the number of claims, the average cost of a claim made by a young female driver is around half that of those made by young male drivers.

It's not sexist it's sensible.

norfolkluego - 1/3/11 at 12:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

The EC appear to completely misunderstand the entire concept of insurance as a risk management tool. [Edited on 1/3/11 by MikeRJ]

Looks better as

The EC appear to completely misunderstand.

It doesn't need anything on the end of it

JoelP - 1/3/11 at 12:57 PM

Where have they got the absurd idea from that discrimination is always bad? Have they never heard of indiscriminate bombings? Surely that alone should show you need to discriminate occationally.

40inches - 1/3/11 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
Ooooo very narrow minded ... of the 'powers that be' that is.......

So.....if it's true that younger/females in general have fewer insurance claims, then...why should it not be cheaper?
Oh...and statistics also show that more young women/girls actually do their 'pass plus' after passing their driving tests then then lads........

Also....the insurance hikes that we have all faced over recent years, have been due...'they' say
to (mainly) young men not having insurance and pranging their cars........and excessive claims due to bad weather......
Is that not also victimisation on the older/no claims peeps?

So...you are happy to pay up to cover the costs on uninsured drivers/bad weather claims...but not to have a difference in cost if, statistics are right, that younger men make the highest claims?

Oh...and there is many a man that is the named driver on the other half's policy to make it cheaper for them......

Having lads and lasses myself, there are good and bad in both.......sadly it is more often the lads who on the day they have pass their tests think they are on par with Button, Hamilton et al, than the lasses

Just my two penny worth and IMHO .....

Fozzie

Very true, there are some strange vagaries in insurance premiums i.e: I am 62 my other half is 44. When we renewed our respective insurances this year I put my wife as a named driver on my insurance and got a £55 discount, she put me on her insurance as a named driver and got a £105 discount

nick205 - 1/3/11 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

Maybe I should point the EC towards the Womens Institute, surely a hotbed of discrimination that should be disbanded immediately

whooaaa back up there matey - my daily jam and weekly cake rations are sourced from the WI and I don't want to lose that.

The WI also occupies my mum and SWMBO once a fortnight so I get an evening's peace and quiet and I really don't want to lose that.

Mind apart from the jam and cakes, I've never been overly sure what they get up to

LoMoss - 1/3/11 at 01:30 PM

Surely its down to experience too. ie miles under your belt. I was told once you only become a good driver after 10 years or 100k miles. You drive like the 'force' (star wars). Its hard to explain, but I have been driving 20 years and never had an accident on the road, a few have hit me though. There are a lot of decisions you make without realising and that only comes with experience.

Moss

blakep82 - 1/3/11 at 01:50 PM

everyone wants equality, until it happens and it doesn't suit them
its a mans world, blah blah blah

whitestu - 1/3/11 at 02:35 PM

quote:

Where have they got the absurd idea from that discrimination is always bad? Have they never heard of indiscriminate bombings? Surely that alone should show you need to discriminate occationally.

I want discrimination on grounds of ability to be made illegal so I can become a racing driver!

MikeRJ - 1/3/11 at 02:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
whooaaa back up there matey - my daily jam and weekly cake rations are sourced from the WI and I don't want to lose that.

Mmmmm.....cake. .

A1 - 1/3/11 at 03:05 PM

women do silly things and the men crash trying to avoid them...

Ninehigh - 1/3/11 at 05:39 PM

My original point was that there's about as much chance of a lad's insurance going down (as was implied) as me of walking to the moon, backwards, in solid gold shoes.

Maybe instead of statistical risk assesment (I'm male = bad, I'm 30 = not so bad and I drive a mondeo = repmobile = I'm going to drive it like a w**ker) why not have a proper risk assessment based on MY driving, and YOUR driving. I know plenty of planks my age and above, male and female so really age and gender shouldn't play a factor.

Someone mentioned driving with "the force" after 10 years and 100k miles.. Well I had that by the time I was 22, but I was still insured like I was some t**t in a 106 that's unable to think about not crashing...

Also it's not entirely a product we buy, we MUST have it, although I have told Direct Line (when the quoted me over £900 to insure missus's car, worth half that) that I would rather not bother.. They wonder why lots don't bother? It's cheaper sometimes..

LoMoss - 1/3/11 at 09:56 PM

Was the 100k milage a good indication of your ability to drive. Should this be a measure, it is not age or gender specific. More a practice makes perfect

Ninehigh - 3/3/11 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LoMoss
Was the 100k milage a good indication of your ability to drive. Should this be a measure, it is not age or gender specific. More a practice makes perfect

To be honest not really, there are people out there (sales reps for one) that travel hundreds of miles a day and they can be right t!*s.. I think you should have the choice of having them base it on previous records and risk factors or have your own certified driving ability. It would say something if you didn't do it

britishtrident - 3/3/11 at 01:19 PM

Women as a whole have fewer accidents per year but in terms of accidents per mile driven I suspect the balance leans slightly the other way.
I find women under about 30 as a group the most dangerous drivers I encounter, even more dangerous so than the average 17 year old lad, of course some young lads are complete nutters.

Richd - 3/3/11 at 03:00 PM

Apparently according to a radio interview with an insurance boffin the statistics show, his words not mine, Men and women have the same amount of accidents per mile, however, on average the men tend to have higher speed accidents (main roads etc) and the women tend to be less of a claim, bollards in car parks and the like. Thus resulting in lower pay outs.

Again, not my words but those of interviewee.

Cheers

Rich

britishtrident - 3/3/11 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richd
Apparently according to a radio interview with an insurance boffin the statistics show, his words not mine, Men and women have the same amount of accidents per mile, however, on average the men tend to have higher speed accidents (main roads etc) and the women tend to be less of a claim, bollards in car parks and the like. Thus resulting in lower pay outs.

Again, not my words but those of interviewee.

Cheers

Rich

Fts with my experience of nearly 40 years (yikes ! ) driving.

In slow speed areas like car parks, petrol forecourts, school zones it is always women who seem to drive too fast for the driving environment, in contrast male tend to drive faster on what used in my grandfathers day be called "the open road". It is as if the female mind and the male mind handle the speed v risk judgement differently.

On occasions I have been behind female drivers who drive at less than 40 mph on good country roads but speed up to 45 to 50 as they come into the 40mph zone at the edge of town and when a few hundred yards later the speed limit changes to 30 mph they continue at 40 plus.

Peteff - 3/3/11 at 03:53 PM

When the insurance companies decide they can make more money they will up the females policy to the level of men's then it will happen for sure. They will probably take an average by subtracting the price they charge women from the price they charge men, adding the difference to the male policy price then charge everyone that amount, that's how it seems to work these days. I'm a bit peed off with insurance as someone tried to knock me off my bike last year as I was overtaking him then claimed I ran into him so the insurance deemed it 50/50 and doubled my premium so I went 3rd party instead. They then put £40 on my car insurance as I now have a claims record They wouldn't let me use my no claims record I had on my car insurance to reduce my bike premium before the claim.

Macbeast - 8/3/11 at 08:15 AM

Doesn't worry me - I'm a bloke

nitram38 - 8/3/11 at 08:27 AM

Andy, your comment "As regards the equality issue we are in the 21st century, the suffragettes thought all those years ago for equality & now its here, women have a far better quality of life now & able to earn the same as men doing the same job which is fair" is not correct. Women are still paid less than men for doing the same job in most cases.
I for one, want financial equality, because if you are married, then it would mean more money in the house!