Board logo

M O T
Trev D - 1/3/10 at 09:41 PM

Hi guys and gals a question for you. I have just inherited a car I can't find any paperwork for it. It is taxed I need to find out if it has a current MOT how do I find out without any paper work as the VOSA web site requires MOT number or V5 number.
ATB Trev

Steve G - 1/3/10 at 09:47 PM

Think you'll struggle without the V5 so you may as well send a cheque off for the £19 or so to the DVLA to get the V5.

You could of course pull out in front of a cop car and see if the ANPR camera picks you up!!

Trev D - 1/3/10 at 09:48 PM

Miks15 - 1/3/10 at 09:55 PM

local mot center? dont they keep it all on record with the reg number?

Trev D - 1/3/10 at 09:59 PM

Idont know where it was motd.

hillbillyracer - 1/3/10 at 10:07 PM

It should'nt matter where it was MOT'd, any should be able to check the database with the reg. It does help if you're on good terms & you ask when they aint run off their feet though!

Trev D - 1/3/10 at 10:18 PM

Thankyou I will give that a go. That's checking at local MOT station not pulling out in front of cop car

regards Trev

blakep82 - 2/3/10 at 01:21 AM

MOT station can get it off their system as said, i think it costs though... tenner maybe?

mad4x4 - 2/3/10 at 07:45 AM

According to This

You will need the V5

Dingz - 2/3/10 at 08:22 AM

Have you tried the ASKMID site?

a4gom - 2/3/10 at 10:59 AM

Thats for insurance though isn't it?

Costs £25 to get new V5 I think?
If its now your car your going to want the V5 anyway so get the form sent off.

I'd try my look with the police, you don't need to be in the car. Before I was aware of the ASKMID I wasn't allowed to tax my car online due to insurance, even though the insurance company said it was all ok and I had a certificate. I pulled into a layby behind a couple of traffic cops on a local dual carriageway and knocked on the window, I showed them a picture of my car on my phone and explained my dilema said I'd heard they could now tell if cars were MOT'd taxed, insured and wondered if they could check. They did and told me it wasn't shown, they actually told me about ASKMID. I got back onto the insurance who claimed it was the insurance company not them who hadn't registered it but it got sorted.

Not always the bad guys!

[Edited on 2/3/10 by a4gom]

Trev D - 2/3/10 at 06:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. My sister has been into his house and found all of the paperwork for me it is MOT'd so I should be ok. Thanks once again.
ATB
Trev