Board logo

RichardK has decided to leave....
RichardK - 14/7/11 at 06:43 PM

Hi gang, just want to let you all know that I've just got my visa granted for Australia and we will be leaving the UK in the middle of October, I can't wait to start my new job, Perth is a great place and my boss seems a great bloke and the team are really nice. Pam and Sophie can't wait either, shame I've got to give 3 months notice to my current employer, been their 20 years in Sept so I think I'm due a change!

So much now to organise, been working steadily on stuff for the last year since starting this process but now things have started to progress much quicker!

Shipping quotes have been coming it at about 5.5k but was speaking to another mate who does a bit of export/import and he wondered why I wasn't doing it myself as it was so easy, he said anyway. Anybody got any experience about this?

So I'll be kicking around until the middle of Oct and after that will logging on at weird times I guess!

I have some mates on here that I consider good mates and would like to catch up before I disappear maybe for a curry or something, dunno really.

Anyway feels good to be able to speak freely about this as I've had to keep it quiet for so long, handed in my notice yesterday, boss now understands why I've making some unusual decisions over the last few months!

Anyway I thought you would all like to know, looking forward to seeing these sunsets again from our local beach, 10 mins away...

Take care

Love

Rich
xx

RichardK - 14/7/11 at 06:45 PM

BTW The Bruise is coming too

mookaloid - 14/7/11 at 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK

ooh ooh can I drive it over for you?

steve m - 14/7/11 at 06:49 PM

Good luck m8,

although i dont envy you, due to the fact they have spiders, and australians there, both i hate!, they do appear t have a better climate, certainly for our cars

regards

steve

RichardK - 14/7/11 at 06:50 PM

I thought all the snakes had eaten the spiders!

RichardK - 14/7/11 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:

I offered it to you for Newark and you bottled it

iank - 14/7/11 at 06:52 PM

Good luck

scootz - 14/7/11 at 06:53 PM

Sounds like fun! What are you going to do over there?

les g - 14/7/11 at 06:53 PM

well good luck to you and your family mate
thanks for your help in the past
actually feelin a bit envious..
cheers les g
PS:you cant go who,s gonna take Coozer to the shows?????

norfolkluego - 14/7/11 at 06:58 PM

Congratulations.

My daughter/SIL and grandchildren moved out there last August and they absolutely love it. Mind you they're in up country Queensland so about a million miles from Perth. Big, big place.

We were out there all of January, it's a great place although beer is surprisingly expensive as it's their national hobby (may be cheaper in the cities than the middle of nowhere).

Police are VERY hot on speeding and especially drink driving.

We're going out again in mid September and can't wait.

Don't forget everything is a) Poisonous or b) Bites your legs off, EVEN THE PLANTS

I suspect your only regret will be why you didn't do it sooner.
Enjoy.

[Edited on 14/7/11 by norfolkluego]

mookaloid - 14/7/11 at 07:01 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:

I offered it to you for Newark and you bottled it

That's true. You are are a proper gent and you will be greatly missed

I wish all of you all the very best - but you can always come back if you don't like it

and anyway you don't have to leave LCB - I think they have an internet down there don't they?

Cheers

Mark

adithorp - 14/7/11 at 07:02 PM

Glad it worked out for you and hope it continues to.

I used to race (cycling) with a guy from Perth. He always said "There's only two sorts of men in the world; Those from Western Australia and those who aren't."

RichardK - 14/7/11 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by les g
cheers les g

I'm sure Coozer is quite capable of getting shitfaced without me, although I will miss the daft prick! Did I ever mention that he wants a JD drinking competition with Clairtoo, shame I won't be there next Stoneleigh to see it, my coin would be on Claire though!

Cheers

Rich

Guinness - 14/7/11 at 07:05 PM

Nice one Richard! Good luck!

I'm seriously considering heading south myself, although I need to finish my degree first!

David Jenkins - 14/7/11 at 07:07 PM

The wife and I were in Perth last year, visiting relatives - great place! Astonishingly hot though...

If you want a laugh before you go, try reading "The Lost Continent" by Terry Pratchett... the preface says it's not about Australia... no, no, no, just some place remarkably like it!

My daughter's in Sydney and has just got residency, and she's absolutely loving the country.

les g - 14/7/11 at 07:13 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by les g
cheers les g

I'm sure Coozer is quite capable of getting shitfaced without me, although I will miss the daft prick! Did I ever mention that he wants a JD drinking competition with Clairtoo, shame I won't be there next Stoneleigh to see it, my coin would be on Claire though!

Cheers

Rich

once or twice if i recall and i think she would win easy
i saw him duck under the table when she made her way towards him this year....
what a chicken talk about a tough Northern boy---

[Edited on 14/7/11 by les g]

Paul TigerB6 - 14/7/11 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Good luck m8,

although i dont envy you, due to the fact they have spiders, and australians there, both i hate!

Except for Kylie............ i like her........dribble dribble

Good luck over there Richard - i'm sure you'll all love it. I'll be your removals man.... and your decorator......and gardener...... and.......

Paul

lotusmadandy - 14/7/11 at 07:46 PM

Im glad to hear the visa has come through Rich.

You will be a big miss over here but i am very jealous
of you all.
If you want to leave the Bruise for anyone (ME) to look after,
It will be in very good hands

Anyway i wish you the best of luck always,

Andy

Dick Axtell - 14/7/11 at 07:58 PM

quote:

Having visited dahn unda a couple of times, I can well understand you going. Hope it works out well for you and family.

But - isn't there always one of these - check out thi thread :-

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=157845

RichardK - 14/7/11 at 08:20 PM

Yeh, done lots of research and as its a personal import and going to wa then it should be ok, other areas could be problematic.Had to put a cat on, unsure about having steel brake lines, I've got copper and copper is not allowed, neither is Kunifer so going to see what the inspecting eng picks up on.

Thanks for link though, an interesting read.

Cheers

Rich

TimC - 14/7/11 at 08:25 PM

Good Luck Richard.

I had a call about a job in Melbourne this week but its not the right time for us.

Enjoy.

Xtreme Kermit - 14/7/11 at 08:33 PM

Good on ya Rich. Good luck to you and yours.

Is does get hot over there, you may need to beef up the bruises cooling

Dusty - 14/7/11 at 10:30 PM

Best wishes. Love Perth. I was there for three months of the summer for the last four years. This feb/march just gone there was no rain at all and the average temp was 30 and that is a 24 hour average! Give my love to Scarbs and Trigg.

spiderman - 15/7/11 at 12:13 AM

Hi Richard
I am in the very early stages of moving to NZ and have collected some info on shipping costs and importing cars ect I will post on here and send you a u2u as soon as I can dig it out and I have a little more time.
I do seem to remember a 20 ft container was going to cost £2500, but I will check and send the info as soon as I can.

All the best to you and your family in your new venture.

Spider.

WanchaiWarrior - 15/7/11 at 12:22 AM

Good Luck with your move.

Oz is a great place to be, I'm up in Brisbane.
Been here since Feb '06, just got residency May '11, thinking about becoming a citizen.
Just dont expect it to be like the UK but warmer, 'cos its not.
Dont become a whinging pomme like many other expats here.
But go with the flow and you'll love the change in lifestyle.

Cheers
Jamie

blakep82 - 15/7/11 at 12:26 AM

friend of mine found out last week she's going in 3 months too!
well done got to be better than here lol

Jasongray5 - 15/7/11 at 05:44 AM

You will love it. Im currently sat 2 hours away from Perth.
When you get here, and fancy a good sunday lunch, with a good fun drive home. Go to "Ye olde Quindanning Inne" Via Mandura.fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&a mp;hq=&hnear=0x2a317e9821700433:0x400f6382479efa0,Quindanning+WA&gl=au&ei=HdMfTuaRFYv3mAXduPifAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=ima ge&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQ8gEwAA" target="_blank">Map
My only regret is not doing it sooner.

FASTdan - 15/7/11 at 07:27 AM

Glad its all worked out for you Richard (havent forgotten your mani btw).

I'm unashamedly jealous.

James - 15/7/11 at 08:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WanchaiWarrior
Good Luck with your move.

Oz is a great place to be, I'm up in Brisbane.
Been here since Feb '06, just got residency May '11, thinking about becoming a citizen.
Just dont expect it to be like the UK but warmer, 'cos its not.
Dont become a whinging pomme like many other expats here.
But go with the flow and you'll love the change in lifestyle.

Cheers
Jamie

Out of interest, what are the big differences? Do the whinging pomme's have a reason to whinge?

I mean, apart from the fact everything is poisonous, or trying to eat you... or both!

Oh, and the heat, the droughts, the flooding, the wild fires, the disgraceful human rights record and ongoing racism towards aboriginal people, Rupert Murdoch, Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson, and people thinking a "barbie" on the beach is an acceptable way to spend Christmas day!

I did love Julia Gillard's comment about newspapers yesterday: "just don't write crap"!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 15/7/11 by James]

eddie99 - 15/7/11 at 01:42 PM

Good luck, im sure you will enjoy it. Come back to visit a kit car show though!

bonzoronnie - 15/7/11 at 02:57 PM

Hi Rich

Here's wishing you & your family a fantastic new life down under

Been a real pleasure to meet you during my 2 visits to Stoneleigh

Have a great time mate

TPG - 15/7/11 at 03:53 PM

Nice one for having the dangles to give it a go. We have been umming and arring over Nz for longer than I care to remember.We even have Residence Visas!!!!
I have an uncle in Perth. We've been to Sydney and Brisbane...On the small bit we saw, Oz wasn't for us though.
But to repeat , good on you for giving it a go. Oh,Good Luck as well.

Neville Jones - 15/7/11 at 04:46 PM

You'll find WA a challenge! Like living on an island, about 200 miles in diameter. Thousands of miles from anywhere. I was in Fremantle in 86-87 with the Stars and Stripes Americas Cup campaign, and we found it cheaper and quicker to airfreight from California, than wait for transport from east coast. It's better nowdays, a bit.

Have you been to Perth? 20 miles east and and over the escarpment, and you're in the desert. 10 miles north, and you're ...similar to east. Strange thing I saw, is that all the trees up the coast lean over to the north, due to constant and strong southerly winds. So, you're left with about 200 miles or so to the south and southeast, which is well worth it. Oh, and some very good wineries to the south. Margaret River area is renowned for quality wine, and the river mouth for good surf. (and not too shabby topless beach!)

On the freight situation, ask a transport/shipping company about a container. I got a quote to Brisbane recently for under £2k, my door to the dock. The biggest costs are moving the container at each end. If you can load it at the depot, and unload at the docks/depot in Aus, you can save a few pounds.

Cheers,
Nev.

David Jenkins - 15/7/11 at 04:53 PM

When in Sydney last year we had decided to visit my wife's cousin in Perth for a few days - bit of a shock when we realised that the flight took around 4 hours! You can get quite a long way out of Europe on a flight that long... and that was just to go from one side of Oz to the other.

Close to when we were about to fly, we saw a news presenter talking about the trouble one of the internal air carriers was having with its chickens... CHICKENS!?
Then we realised that she was a kiwi, and she was talking about the company's CHECK INs, which had failed big-time.

Triton - 15/7/11 at 06:29 PM

Wow all the best and yes I'm very jealous

RichardK - 16/7/11 at 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the kind words and bits of advice,yep no doubt its going to be tough.But worth I reckon.
Anyway thanks again.
Cheers
Rich