Board logo

Have I just bagged a bargain or what??
PSpirine - 22/1/12 at 09:12 PM

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Even if the chassis is no good. the rest of the stuff is surely worth more than £200!

God only knows how I'm going to pick it all up though.. Passat might have to wear a spaceframe-shaped hat..

daviep - 22/1/12 at 09:21 PM

I guess one man's bargain is another man's pile of scrap

mookaloid - 22/1/12 at 09:23 PM

looks good

TimC - 22/1/12 at 09:26 PM

I'll sort a van and give you a hand if I can have the Mexico steels?

HTH

Tim
Edge of the Cotwolds

D Beddows - 22/1/12 at 09:27 PM

errrr no tbh - everything included might just be worth £200 if your lucky but it's not a huge bargain especially at the moment.......sorry

Ninehigh - 22/1/12 at 09:31 PM

The chassie should be fine, it's just surface rust from being in Shead

It's worth £200 if you have use for it

Tatey - 22/1/12 at 09:36 PM

If it's a Haynes then the 13" wheels and 14" wheels will not fit over the rear uprights, its 15" minimum im afraid.

designer - 22/1/12 at 09:46 PM

It's only tacked together!

PSpirine - 22/1/12 at 10:00 PM

Even better - gives me a chance to check it's straight and re-weld it

To be honest, I got it mostly for the bits

The bodywork bits (everything else I'll probably make from sheet ali as per the book)
All the ball joints, track rod ends (new), steering rack extensions and mounts etc.
Harnesses
Shocks (even if they're shot, I'd rather start building than have a half built chassis sitting on some brand new dampers for a year)

Yes, I could probably piece everything together for just under £200 if I spent the next 6 months looking out for bargains and driving round the country collecting bits, but to have them all together I think it's a pretty good deal since I need 80% of what he's listed. The remaining bits I'm sure I could sell off.

As for the van offer - thanks - I should be okay as I'm heading over there anyway, but will give you a shout if that changes!

Bit bummed that I can't use the 13". I'll do a bit more research and will get back to you if it's confirmed (and once I've had a look at the condition of the mexico steels). I really wanted to get them professionally banded.. (or is that sacrilege?)

Chippy - 22/1/12 at 11:09 PM

Well looking at the list of parts on the add, I would say you got a good deal, maybe not a masive bargain, but definately a good deal. IMHO Ray

blakep82 - 22/1/12 at 11:23 PM

i tend to agree with Ray
considering the 4 point harnesses, even at the cheaper end, a apir would still cost about £100-£120, petrol tank, think mine was about £60? springs and shocks, don't know what they are, they might be crap, but those few items have to be worth about £200 on their own?
chassis still needs work, the front end still needs a fair bit (there's nothing holding the top and bottom rails together for starters) but i don't think thats a bad deal.. bit of time with wire brush in an angle grinder and some paint, it should turn out ok

s6otty - 23/1/12 at 07:03 AM

The 3 Spoke RS Steering wheel is worth £100 - All Day Long!

Some of the Retro Ford Stuff is really coming into it's own now, so if you have any early 80's parts lying the garage, dig em out and dust em off!

S

TimC - 23/1/12 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Bit bummed that I can't use the 13". I'll do a bit more research and will get back to you if it's confirmed (and once I've had a look at the condition of the mexico steels). I really wanted to get them professionally banded.. (or is that sacrilege?)

I'll give you a fair price for them then. I'm pretty sure they are a no-go on the Roadster - wrong offset too!

foskid - 23/1/12 at 09:02 AM

Not bad at all. But your going to need a large Electrolysis tank for that chassis

Peteff - 23/1/12 at 09:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by foskid
Not bad at all. But your going to need a large Electrolysis tank for that chassis

Or a wire brush whichever is easiest. It's a Barry bargain for all those bits in one hit.

wylliezx9r - 23/1/12 at 11:50 AM

Easily 200 QUIDS worth of parts not including the chassis. I'd say you have done well.

eddie99 - 23/1/12 at 11:56 AM

I'd say a pretty damn good deal!

wylliezx9r - 23/1/12 at 12:05 PM

And too add Haynes wheels are minimum 15" to clear the rear uprights.

jossey - 23/1/12 at 12:33 PM

ye its worth more than £200.

but whats the cost of getting everything home etc?

well done though.

look forward to seeing the stuff being sold on here lol

motorcycle_mayhem - 23/1/12 at 12:41 PM

Does it matter what it's worth...?

He's happy, and so would I be if I had that lot sitting in the garage with a welding torch in my hand and a head full of dreams.

Build it, enjoy it, before you rot in that care home.

Humbug - 23/1/12 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Even better - gives me a chance to check it's straight and re-weld it

To be honest, I got it mostly for the bits

The bodywork bits (everything else I'll probably make from sheet ali as per the book)
All the ball joints, track rod ends (new), steering rack extensions and mounts etc.
Harnesses
Shocks (even if they're shot, I'd rather start building than have a half built chassis sitting on some brand new dampers for a year)

Yes, I could probably piece everything together for just under £200 if I spent the next 6 months looking out for bargains and driving round the country collecting bits, but to have them all together I think it's a pretty good deal since I need 80% of what he's listed. The remaining bits I'm sure I could sell off.

As for the van offer - thanks - I should be okay as I'm heading over there anyway, but will give you a shout if that changes!

Apart from being sacrilege, I think it's also illegal nowadays...

scootz - 23/1/12 at 03:07 PM

What's illegal about it