Board logo

Toyota GT86 - Subaru BRZ
Jasper - 30/8/12 at 09:54 AM

Saw a mention of it on TV last night, hadn't heard anything about it up till then. Looks like the first RWD proper sports car from the Japs for a long time , normally aspirated, tyres from a Prius, designed for a bit of sideways action, think I'm gonna book me a test drive soon! Not that I can afford one yet, but give it a year or two and who knows.

http://subaru.co.uk/vehicles/brz/

Liam - 30/8/12 at 10:08 AM

They are awesome!

Chris Harris review

maccmike - 30/8/12 at 10:11 AM

read and watched mixed reviews. another 100hp and then it'd be a cool car.

loggyboy - 30/8/12 at 10:30 AM

Yeah im mighty impressed with these (not that ive driven one), saw it online a few months back and was pleased to see a sensible asking price (£25k).
Saw one in the shopping centre at weekend and it looked smaller than I thought (i was expecting skyline/300zx sort of size) but looked even smaller than a celica. Might have been deciving in the large shopping centre and was locked so couldnt sit in it.
Im looking forward to owning one in about 5 years!

twybrow - 30/8/12 at 10:42 AM

Has anyone seen the advert on TV for the Toyota? At least 3 shots of it oversteering in the the advert - I can't think of another car advert that has shown similar... I would love to try one out - but as previously said, another 50-100hp would make it an awesome beast!

femster87 - 30/8/12 at 11:00 AM

Saw one on the road this weekend toyota one. Looked pretty good.

b14wrc - 30/8/12 at 11:25 AM

Hi All,

I am a Toyota fan through and through, I had been waiting for the launch of the GT86 for well over a year before its official launch in the UK, i am hoping my local Toyota dealer will get one in for me next month to have a test when my SR180 goes in for a service. If i do i will let you know.

To be honest, i was a bit disappointed, not saying i would not get one, as I’ve heard the handling is really good. But the 0 - 60 time is slower than my Auris, and to me, acceleration is the most important thing. Before the Auris i had a Celica GTfour, which i loved, even though the engine was almost standard it was far quicker than my current car!

I am hoping in a year or two they decide to stick a proper turbo engine in, I mean the EJ20 (although can be prone to bottom end issues) is a great engine out the Subaru and is turbo usually any way.

Two main things I don’t like about it are the wheels (who designed them?) and the 'boxer' badge on the wings. Apart from that i do really like it and when the prices come down i think it would be an awesome change for the Auris.

Rob

Jasper - 30/8/12 at 11:42 AM

Yeah - that's the only thing that seemed a bit of a let down, my Focus St puts out around 275bhp and I think I would find the lack of power a bit disappointing - BUT it may well make up for it in handling, we'll see.

Gonna book a test drive none the less

Ivan - 30/8/12 at 11:54 AM

I would love one before the FWD numptys out there start putting them through the hedges backwards and start complaining that Toyo/Subi have designed an evil handling beast that needs to be tamed or withdrawn.

wylliezx9r - 30/8/12 at 12:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by maccmike

So what benefit is that extra 100 bhp going to have then ? Lose your license quicker ?

loggyboy - 30/8/12 at 12:29 PM

To all comments about lack of power, and 0-60 times you are completely missing the point of the car. Chris Harris sums it up perfectly here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=romf-G6CZ7g#t=572s

[Edited on 30-8-12 by loggyboy]

morcus - 30/8/12 at 12:36 PM

Like others I've been following the release of this car for the last couple of years or how ever long its been, it feels like decades, not that I'm going to buy one, but I went to see it at my local toyota deaership and it looks great.

There is talk of a turbo model in the future (Read it in top gear) but as above, your missing the point as the car isn't about raw power.

blakep82 - 30/8/12 at 12:42 PM

the japs do like to make a car that is very easily tunable to rediculous power too, so you never know what its actually capable of. probably won't be long til someone gets 800bhp from one
i quite like it though, new drift and or doner car for the future

twybrow - 30/8/12 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
To all comments about lack of power, and 0-60 times you are completely missing the point of the car. Chris Harris sums it up perfectly here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=romf-G6CZ7g#t=572s

[Edited on 30-8-12 by loggyboy]

Great bit of video - I want one even more! It seems to be a like a 4 seat MX5 - approachable and exploitable at sensible speeds. Let's hope it is a success and inspires some of the other manufacturers to have a go at similar cars....

daniel mason - 30/8/12 at 05:10 PM

there was one at harewood a few weeks back. not quick at all on the hill and is quite large. it did look very nice though!

Liam - 30/8/12 at 06:04 PM

Surprised to see locosters arguably missing the point and saying it needs 300 bhp to be a good car! The whole ethos of this car is about bringing back the fun with a great chassis and modest but useable power - something that should be familiar to us. Looks like they achieved that in spades. I'm sure people who missed the point will be more than adequately catered for by aftermarket tuners, if not the manufacturers themselves eventually

[Edited on 30/8/12 by Liam]

phelpsa - 30/8/12 at 06:23 PM

We've had sporty subarus in the family for 10 years now. Test drove the new WRX STi saloon and was disappointed as it seemed to focus more on being a bloated fast saloon and less on being rewarding to drive. Hopefully this has gone back in the other direction, but only a test drive will tell!

bi22le - 30/8/12 at 06:49 PM

Just throwing it out there. . . .

370Z or RX8, have people forgotten about these?

Furyous - 30/8/12 at 06:52 PM

There was a prediction before it came out, I think on Jalopnik, that half of them would be crashed sideways into kerbs. I've seen photos of about half a dozen that were crashed. One was rear-ended and all the others had bent rear wheels.

daniel mason - 30/8/12 at 06:59 PM

370z is heavy beast!

wylliezx9r - 30/8/12 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Just throwing it out there. . . .

370Z or RX8, have people forgotten about these?

370z's handle like poo and rx8's go bang, simples lol.

twybrow - 30/8/12 at 07:32 PM

And both 350/370Z and RX8 have tyre sizes that mean they have more grip than handling at sensible speeds.

b14wrc - 30/8/12 at 08:03 PM

Missing the point?

Well I may have missed the point about handling, but as I ran a Celica ST205 for several years, my expectations of what is a quick road car are based on that. I agree out and out speed isn't necessary, legally 70 is all you can do. But getting there quicker than the next man, and using the power to safely over take in my opinion is the essence of a proper sports car.

200bhp is disappointing. For the same money you could get a focus RS, which by comparison, seems a very sorted looking car. Good handling also requires light weight, as we all know, can't see the GT86 is a lightweight. See what locost I'm building, I decided to build it because I thought the celica was slow!

I won't mention 4x4 then as I will be shot down in flames, but again I'd expected 4wd from the GT86 as per the GTfour.... Although I understand the engine is moved back so far you wouldn't get the front shafts out the gear box like in the normal scooby.

I checked the Subaru link earlier today, and notice there isn't many differences between the two, from what I remember, the scooby concept was a very agresive rally inspired looking thing, looks like only difference is the badging.....

Let us know what the test drive is like, I am keen myself.

Rob

Liam - 30/8/12 at 08:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc
But getting there quicker than the next man, and using the power to safely over take in my opinion is the essence of a proper sports car.

Well, you've got a very, putting it as kindly as I can, 21st century idea of what the essence of a proper sports car is! This car harks back to the days where the essence of a proper sports car was lightness, feel, responsiveness, handling balance and the ability to hang the arse out round the twisties. Not having a stupid amount of power going though the front wheels so you can win the traffic light GP or overtake people on motorways whilst carrying your weekly shopping in the generous hatch load area!

I know its harder to have real driving fun on the roads these days, but people still want a car with those 'traditional' sportscar attributes, and the whole point of keeping power and grip down is exactly so you can do that without loosing your license/life.

b14wrc - 30/8/12 at 08:54 PM

Each to their own, get what your saying Liam, I have been looking at the Elise recenly as a next car too, which has all the points you describe. But I think you sacrifice a lot with the lotus in my opinion for the performance.

Rob

maccmike - 30/8/12 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
quote:

So what benefit is that extra 100 bhp going to have then ? Lose your license quicker ?

with a silly response like that you shouldnt have a bike powered car or contribute to petrol headed websites like this

phelpsa - 30/8/12 at 09:24 PM

I am also a Toyota man as of late, but my experience of Toyota ownership has involved thrashing the daylights out of a small, nimble, under-tyred, well balanced sports car with a sweet little 16v engine. For that reason, I get it

Power is not required for a fun drivers car, unless your idea of fun is showing that your car is faster than someone elses!

maccmike - 30/8/12 at 09:48 PM

Buy a 2cv then.

I like what Iv seen, however;

Watched one at Goodwood fos. Was slow (compared to the exotica there).

Read and watched mixed reviews;

Chris Harris loves it because he can spank and drift it round the track, this does not relate to road use.

If your interpretation of his review suggests- buy one and do some track days- a corner only lasts a few seconds and it'll feel like an age getting to the next one, whilst in the mean time every one is passing you. bit demoralising. Be nicer to have a 'more rounded package...'

Having a (only) sweet handling car on these over congested and camera riddled public roads is a waste of time too as you'll want to carry more speed to enjoy the chassis/steering etc. At least with extra grunt you can put it on as quick as you can take it off - and still enjoy that series of bends.

Its a different take on a MX5 in essence, so as I made the most ridiculous suggestion that it should be more pokie, maybe some of you should u2u locost mx5 owners that have 'charged their motors and ask them what on earth they are doing, trying to lose your license?
If I bought one, I would be more than happy with it, but would wish it had a bit more..

[Edited on 30/8/12 by maccmike]

MikeRJ - 30/8/12 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc

To be honest, i was a bit disappointed, not saying i would not get one, as I’ve heard the handling is really good. But the 0 - 60 time is slower than my Auris, and to me, acceleration is the most important thing.

Then ignore all the positive aspects of this car and get something like a Mazda 3 MPS. Torque steering, under steering FWD monster, but it's very quick.

phelpsa - 31/8/12 at 07:05 AM

quote:

Its a different take on a MX5 in essence, so as I made the most ridiculous suggestion that it should be more pokie, maybe some of you should u2u locost mx5 owners that have 'charged their motors and ask them what on earth they are doing, trying to lose your license?

They are trying to make it faster. There's no problem with that, but it it's in no way required for it to be an enjoyable drivers car and can quite often make things worse.

loggyboy - 31/8/12 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Chris Harris loves it because he can spank and drift it round the track, this does not relate to road use.

You need to come for a road drive with me or my brother... I can definately relate it to road use! lol

To be fair he does also say you can drive it fast on the road and know you are in car thats not about safety, its about fun.
He specifically says you can drive it at 60% and not bein on the lockstops drifting round every corner and still have fun - thats my idea of fun, not barreling in to a bend in 300hp FWD shopping trolley resulting in mountains of understeer. I had one of those (well close to 300hp/tonne) and it was fun, but in a very diffrerent way to the fun I had in my 316 BMW with 175 tyres that spent many a damp evening going round roundabouts 3 -4 times.

quote:
daniel mason
there was one at harewood a few weeks back. not quick at all on the hill and is quite large. it did look very nice though!

Strange, i thougt the exact oppsite with regards to size.

[Edited on 31-8-12 by loggyboy]

wylliezx9r - 31/8/12 at 09:07 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
quote:

with a silly response like that you shouldnt have a bike powered car or contribute to petrol headed websites like this

I thought it was a simple question which your clearly not capable of answering. Perhaps you can explain why I shouldnt own a BEC or be contributing to a website ?

Mark Allanson - 31/8/12 at 06:41 PM

I'm, booked on the GT86 structural repair course starting 24th Sept so I will report back

daniel mason - 31/8/12 at 09:05 PM

if you thought it was light what did you put the lack of pace down to?

loggyboy - 31/8/12 at 09:28 PM

It only weighs 1200kg - in new car terms thats light, its only 50kg more than a fiesta. Even a s2 elise weighs 900 and an mx5 weighs between 950 and 1100kg depending on age.