Board logo

Flooded road..Have Landy, had to have a play !
NigeEss - 27/9/12 at 11:42 PM

Local road flooded by field run off water, so hopefully no sewage in there !
Probably won't do the electrics much good...or the chassis........But it had to be done

Tried several times to use the Youtube button to embed the vid and failed miserably.

Youtube

[Edited on 27/9/12 by NigeEss]

steve m - 28/9/12 at 12:37 AM

looking at the colour of the water, that was SHIT

Westy1994 - 28/9/12 at 03:16 AM

I do hope you are not the owner of the Landie that flooded my van in Barnston dip some years ago........... a Landie was coming the other way and thought it would be funny to see how big a bow wave he could make... cost me over a grand to fix my van.........

chicade - 28/9/12 at 06:01 AM

Make sure you remove the wading plug from bottom of gearbox bell housing it will prob be full of water now and clutch ect won't last long if its left in drain off water and refit only 5 min job might save you a fortune in the long run

Nickp - 28/9/12 at 06:02 AM

My old Ford Ranger would go through that without a snorkel, and I never even got wet But that was a company car Checked the user manual afterwards and it says not to submerge higher than the centre of the hubs - OOPS!!

Furyous - 28/9/12 at 06:24 AM

The driver of he other car is thinking "Hmm... maybe not."

My aunt has sent me this photo from Herefordshire. I like the tree delicately placed on top.

Description
Description

Ninehigh - 28/9/12 at 07:28 AM

The road to work years ago would regularly get flooded, I'd show up the babies driving these big 4x4s by going through the 8 inch puddle in my 1986 Sunny

jossey - 28/9/12 at 07:32 AM

I got all excited when I thought the Astra was going next :-)

Great video. Did your pants get wet....

David Jenkins - 28/9/12 at 07:41 AM

I liked the bit at the end, where you opened the door to let the water out!

BTW: To embed a YouTube video, just copy the code - in this cas, "FF5i6cS-Ets" - and put that into the entry form. You don't need the whole "http://..." line.

deezee - 28/9/12 at 07:41 AM

I had to divert around all that water this week. Especially after someone in a Corsa thought it would double as a U-Boat on Bromborough Road / Spital Dam and got it up to the windscreen. Some reason the Corsa stalled? Funny that.

NigeEss - 28/9/12 at 07:59 AM

Steve, certainly hope it wasn't sh1t ! Didn't smell of anything
Westy, don't recall drowning a van with a huge bow wave, try to avoid them as I like to see where I'm going ! It also
results in water pouring through the gaps in the ragtop.
Thanks David, try that on the next video.
The silver Astra is my friends who filmed the clip.

Yes I did get a wet arse and as for the wading plugs......they were hiding in the ashtray the whole time...Doh !!!!

[Edited on 28/9/12 by NigeEss]

Peteff - 28/9/12 at 08:08 AM

There's a dip near us that fills up when it gets bad and a few years ago we had to do a detour because of it. I pulled up and a bloke in a Volvo estate went past me and tried to cross but he conked about a third of the way through and had to wade out. A Toyota pick up like the Top Gear one came the other way and after a quick look he set off. Half way across the water was touching his windscreen but he made it through.

mcerd1 - 28/9/12 at 09:15 AM

I've been wading in my cars a few times...

at my work we can get some bad flash flooding (up to 18" deep and more ) I recon I had about 1" to spare with the air intake in my 106 but it got through slowly in 1st gear, but no problems (carb'd car so next to no electronics to drown)
a ford KA that I knew followed me, he got through too, but his car never ran right again

I loved that 106, it went further off road than alot of the 4x4's round here

I cought cought out in the floods round Morpeth a few years back, and ended up going on a little adventure:

they closed the A1, A69, A68, A697 etc. - I eventualy found an unmarked road that was open that I reconed would eventualy join up to the A68 near the border, but I think it was only open because it was too small for the police to bother closing it..... seemed ok to start with, but the water was over 6" deep in hundreds of places
the only other car on the road I saw was a landrover towing another one on a trailer, so I sat back and followed him for a bit - then he stopped, got out and asked me "do you know where we are ?" (this is now ~midnight)

turns out he was heading up to the isle of skye and his satnav just kept telling him to go back to the A1, so bearing in mind we were on a road that wasn't even on my map, I helped him re-program the thing to take us to the A68 - sorted , well almost...

2 corners later we went over a hump back bridge and on the other side there was ~18" of water, fine for him but I recon the focus had about 3" to spare on the air intake (and I'd never tried wading in that car before) got through fine and started breathing again

got another couple of miles and hit more deep water, this didn't seem to bad untill I realised that the big thing bobing up and down just beside me was a VW passat estate's back end I guess the side of the road was a bit deaper than the middle where I was....

eventually got home at 2:30am (I'd left Suffolk at 7:00pm!) and the car seemed fine, but I recon it knocked a few k off the life of my clutch (got a new clutch now anyway though)

AllWeatherDan - 28/9/12 at 09:25 AM

Great Story. :-)

YOUTUBE - Corwen Car Wash

I can't get on YOUTUBE at work so you will have to do the leg work.

Dan

dlatch - 28/9/12 at 10:41 AM

bi22le - 28/9/12 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dlatch

That was close! I may of popped a door and got out when it nearly reached the roof line. Maybe he should go one better with a man snorkel and a little hole in the roof!!

mcerd1 - 28/9/12 at 11:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
That was close! I may of popped a door and got out when it nearly reached the roof line. Maybe he should go one better with a man snorkel and a little hole in the roof!!

i think I'd at least take the softtop off - that way you can just stand up
(also you wouldn't need to dry the top out afterwards...)

nick205 - 28/9/12 at 12:50 PM

Love the nonchalant elbow out the window as you cruise past the camera

Be honest...was there a "Oh tits i might have gone too deep" moment?