Board logo

New Tin-top recommendations
bigandy - 8/1/13 at 11:18 AM

Hi folks,

SWMBO and I are expecting our second little 'un this year, and it has drawn into question our car. We have a little 07 plate Fabia vRS (mk1 version), and it is already a bit tight for space if we go away for a few days. So, we are wondering about getting a larger car to fit all the guff in associated with us pair and two little ones under the age of 3.

I don't have too many requirements, just that it can fit in a pushchair, two car seats, a travel cot, and a couple of holdall type bags, plus some toys etc. Oh, and the four of us too. Ideally, I would like something that is nippy, at least as good as the Fabia is performance wise, preferably a bit more if possible! I'm not too fussed about petrol or diesel, it will only be doing about 7000 miles per year, mostly short trips of 5-10 miles or so, with the occasional longer run. Sensible servicing costs and tyre costs would be nice too.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Our budget is around 10k, possibly a little more if I can scrape together some more cash.

up to now I've consider an Octavia estate (vRS), and that's about it...

Andy

BangedupTiger - 8/1/13 at 12:25 PM

Only mpv with decent performance I can think of os the zafira vxr.

Cheap to maintain and run, plus you'll get plenty of change from your budget.

Slimy38 - 8/1/13 at 12:25 PM

My first suggestion would also have been an Octavia vrs if you're happy with the Fabia. Although the saloon version might be sufficient for what you need.

I am extremely biased though, I want one!

britishtrident - 8/1/13 at 12:32 PM

Something VW group or Ford or Mazda or Toyota it also might be worth a trip to your local Kia or Hyundai dealers to check if they have any 2010 or 2011 trade-ins or ex-demos.

robinj66 - 8/1/13 at 12:40 PM

I also liked the Octavia VRS as a replacement for my Leon FR. Unfortunately you won't get the latest spec for that money. Instead I ended up with a 2.0 diesel Mondeo (140) which has the same room as the Octavia, is still quite nippy and is comfortable for the family ( I found the VRS to be a little on the firm side - great for me but not so for the family).

I got a 10 plate hatch for £9800 in February. Worth a look

tegwin - 8/1/13 at 02:35 PM

How about something like this?
2001 Audi RS4 2.7 TWIN TURBO

roadrunner - 8/1/13 at 04:38 PM

I have just got an Audi A4 Quattro 2.0t fsi Avant.

Great car, cracking handling, even better if you put the RS rear anti roll bar on for less than £100. Plus for £150 ish you can remap upto 250bhp.
On long runs it is quite frugal for a turbo petrol.
Plus , they hold there value too.

Brad.

twybrow - 8/1/13 at 04:48 PM

For your mileage, I would xteer well clear of a diesel - they are more expensive to buy and to service - you woul dneed to be doing more than 15k a year to make it worth considering.

Octavia VRS would be great - you could easily get into one about the same age as your Fabia for that budget...

I would also suggest a 3 series beemer, a passat or an A4 as above...

For a bit more leftfield, you might want to look at an Impreza (WRX), or even a larger hatchback such as a Focus (ST). Personally, I would avoid Vauxhalls like a plague!

roadrunner - 8/1/13 at 07:47 PM

Just to add, the insurance quotes on the Quattro where quite a lot cheaper than any other car I was looking at , at the time.
Skoda Octavia VRS
Audi A4 diesel
VW Passat.
Dont know why a 200bhp petrol car would be cheaper to insure than a 140bhp diesel, but the difference easily covered the difference in road tax.

Brad.

sdh2903 - 8/1/13 at 08:04 PM

focus st no good space wise, I have one and its a squeeze with kids in the back. Echo the comments about insurance, I really don't know what they're on lately, my St was 45 quid cheaper than the 320d I had previously, 2.5 turbo petrol vs 2.0 diesel?

anyway back to the subject, if you want lots of space the Smax is a great car and you can a 2.5t one too. if you could live with a regular estate the Audi is a good shout, expensive to buy but hold their money. 3 or 5 series tourer with a 3.0 petrol would be worth a look too.

Rosco - 8/1/13 at 08:08 PM

An out of the box suggestion maybe, but if you like your existing motor and just need extra space for the odd long journey then perhaps consider a roof box. You only need all that baby stuff for a couple years, unless your planning more, so seams a shame to buy a lumbering monster for that. Keep the cash in your pocket.

I used to have a big Volvo that I convinced myself I needed, but then realised we only need the space a few times a year for trips to the tip and the odd campling weekend. So I downsized and got a little trailer.

BangedupTiger - 8/1/13 at 08:18 PM

That audi is very nice, but its £5k over budget and 12 years old. Focus st is way too small and too thirsty.

When doing 5-10 min journeys and 7,000 miles a year I wouldnt even consider a diesel. I'd only look at turbo'd petrol.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

JoelP - 8/1/13 at 08:24 PM

We're in the same position as you and manage fine with a jeep Cherokee or an a6 Quattro. Both need packing well for hols though. A roof box is a good solution. Beware old fast audis , they take a lot of maintaining.

Dave Ashurst - 8/1/13 at 08:43 PM

I know you can be put off by the diesel, but these are allegedly OK and achieve around 50mpg with full-time 4x4 and limited-slip differentials, plus the gear-driven camshafts mean there are no cambelts to worry about.

Linky: Diesel Subaru perhaps?

Time will tell how bombproof the innovative, smooth-running, lightweight, all-aluminium-with-integral-cast-iron-cylinder-linings, boxer diesel engine is. Perhaps there are some reviews out there..

skodaman - 8/1/13 at 08:59 PM

Porsche Boxster is now within budget and leave the kids at home.