Board logo

tintop gearbox/clutch problem
Paul W - 16/4/13 at 05:34 PM

my son has an almera 2001 1.5 petrol with manual gearbox/hydraulic clutch.

couple of weeks ago when car was moving at about 10mph and engaging 1st gear there was a noise as if the gbox teeth were "just" grinding together. All fine when stopped & engaging 1st, all other gears ok.

after doin a bit of googling I changed the gbox oil (used Halfords Gear Oil EP 75W/80 GL-4)no bits in old oil
made no difference.

a week after changing oil, gear selection is now very difficult in all gears, both with engine off and when running.

also when in neutral with engine running there is a whirring/wineing noise that dissappears when dipping the clutch.
this noise gets worse when driving

I have also bled the clutch & it made no difference, no leaks anywhere

anyone got any ideas what it could be????

thanks in advance
cheers Paul

maccmike - 16/4/13 at 05:40 PM

clutch kit and release bearing

britishtrident - 16/4/13 at 05:46 PM

If your description is correct it is possible the clutch release bearing has disintegrated but it could also be a seized bearing on the gearbox shaft due to running for a long period with the oil level too low. Either way gearbox would have to come out and replace the clutch at the same time. This a 12 year old car so get somebody to look at it before making a decision as it could be something simple.

britishtrident - 16/4/13 at 05:53 PM

Quick ebay scan reveals Almera 1.5 gearboxes fetch big bucks compare to other equivale cars --- which is usually an indicator of a weakness.

Paul W - 16/4/13 at 05:54 PM

just tried reverse slowly & it drives backwards but when clutch is dipped the car wants to move forwards ??

Paul W - 16/4/13 at 05:56 PM

yes after googling it looks like a weak box.

Paul W - 16/4/13 at 06:31 PM

just drained a small amount of gbox oil into glass and it looks very metallicy, put a small magnet in & oil makes patterns around magnet also can feel small bits in bottom of glass.
Iam guessing need another box ???

Paul W - 16/4/13 at 08:02 PM

iam gonna try & change the gbox myself, see if the local scrappies have any in
never done one before so what hints tips can u give
cheers Paul

sdh2903 - 16/4/13 at 08:12 PM

I will attempt most jobs on my tintops but everytime I've done a clutch or gearbox I've regretted it half way through. Either I've not got a specific tool or its started peeing down or something wont line back up. They are just a PITA unless you have a ramp and gearbox jack. I would try and source a 2nd hand box and get a good local garage to swap it.

Just my 2p.

Paul W - 29/4/13 at 10:51 PM

replacement box & clutch now fiited with no probs
I guess this was the box problem, main shaft bearing

Almera box bearing
Almera box bearing