Board logo

Can anyone machine these out of 3mm Ali
corrado vr6 - 20/5/13 at 02:43 PM

Hi there,

Is anyone able to machine me these? I need 6 rings in total all with a hollow centre so I'm left with a 12.5mm ring
They need to be made from 3mm Ali

Obviously willing to pay

Thanks in advance
Greg

Matt_C - 20/5/13 at 03:00 PM

Machining would be a very expensive option. Would be much cheaper and easier to have them laser cut or waterjet cut from ali. Both of these are always a cheaper option than machining on any 2D shape.

Places I use would be too far away from you, if you just google it I'm sure you can find local places.

trextr7monkey - 20/5/13 at 03:15 PM

Fly cutter in drill and just go steady! I don't think we have any ali that thick knocking about could check in the morning, we made similar things once for a bloke changing down lighters in his 70's house
What is their application, tolerances, required finish etc?
atb
Mike

corrado vr6 - 20/5/13 at 03:48 PM

There just to mount some lights strangley in a jago!

They won't be seen so haven't got to be to special, but i don't have the tools unless I chain drilled then filed them to shape which would take a while to do 6

They haven't got to be mm perfect just there abouts really

Edited to say I could supply a sheet of Ali if its something you think you could do?

[Edited on 20/5/13 by corrado vr6]

trextr7monkey - 20/5/13 at 04:38 PM

just sent a u2u

T66 - 20/5/13 at 04:59 PM

Isnt there a locoster who has a water jet cutter ?

matt_claydon - 20/5/13 at 05:31 PM

As above, don't machine, use either laser or waterjet. I think it's andyw7de on here who has a waterjet.

You could do it yourself with two hole saws, although you won't get exactly those dimensions. 76mm and 86mm are readily available, but pretty sure I've seen 90mm.

T66 - 21/5/13 at 10:34 PM

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=40595