Board logo

Tin top tyres
mookaloid - 5/6/13 at 03:57 PM

Which would you choose?

iank - 5/6/13 at 04:04 PM

What size? What do you want them for (performance, economy, life?)

Davey D - 5/6/13 at 04:05 PM

You haven't said which model of tyre for each brand, and what car/type of driving you will be doing.

On my Volvo v50 tintop i've fitted Conti Sport contact 5 , but its definitely over-kill for the wife just pootling around town

adithorp - 5/6/13 at 04:06 PM

Of those I'd go with the Avons. Good tyres but without paying for the big boys advertising budget. What size are they?

Fit loads and never have any complaints.

nick205 - 5/6/13 at 04:09 PM

What car and what was the OEM tyre fitment?

morcus - 5/6/13 at 04:10 PM

Continentals all the way, thats what I voted, though if spending my own money I'd go for something towards the mid end.

loggyboy - 5/6/13 at 04:31 PM

Toyos or falkens have done we well over past 5 years on various tin tops.

fesycresy - 5/6/13 at 04:36 PM

Budgets!

whitestu - 5/6/13 at 04:43 PM

I got Vredesteins for my Mondeo. V good for the price.

Stu

coyoteboy - 5/6/13 at 05:34 PM

Anyone who votes budgets should be removed from the road for everyone else's safety!

I find conti or Uniroyal rain experts to be the best price/performance compromise, but I err on the side of being able to stop.

big-vee-twin - 5/6/13 at 05:36 PM

Falken all the way much better than all the rest especially the overpriced and overrated conti's.

big_wasa - 5/6/13 at 05:42 PM

Had some avons on my zs , one of the top rated tyres for it but I wasn't impressed. Next set on my Scooby will be Hankooks.

doobrychat - 5/6/13 at 05:55 PM

I got 2 pairs of T1R's off fleaby new for £105 inc delivery a pair.. even with my local discount at STS couldn't match that..

sdh2903 - 5/6/13 at 05:57 PM

Vredestein ultrac sessanta or goodyear eagle F1 assymetric 2.

mookaloid - 5/6/13 at 05:59 PM

Sorry should have said they are 255/35R18 94Y for a Mercedes C class The originals were Continentals and are down to 2mm from new in 11,000 miles

fesycresy - 5/6/13 at 06:08 PM

I am a driving god.

Lesser drivers need the best tyres they can get

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Anyone who votes budgets should be removed from the road for everyone else's safety!

I find conti or Uniroyal rain experts to be the best price/performance compromise, but I err on the side of being able to stop.

sdh2903 - 5/6/13 at 06:10 PM

Camskill:

Goodyear eagle f1 asy2: £148 each plus a £10 fuel voucher per tyre bought, ive got these on the front of my focus st and they are superb wet or dry.

Vredestein ultrac sessanta: £122 each, had these on my last bmw and they were excellent, couldn't fault them for the price.

big-vee-twin - 5/6/13 at 06:13 PM

Unfortunately Mercs eat tyres, I complained to Merc they just said that's how they are. Meanwhile with the mileage I was doing I was going through two sets every year, and I was only doing 28 k Contis were the worst for poor wear.

alistairolsen - 5/6/13 at 06:17 PM

As suggested above, goodyear eagle assymetric 2s are the way forward

Hellfire - 5/6/13 at 06:21 PM

Another vote here for budgets. Having religiously replaced my vehicle tyres with Contis for a number of years, I got a unrepairable puncture on an almost new tyre. I changed the fronts to budgets and wish I'd done it years ago. Much longer lasting with little/no difference in handling (for the sort of driving I do in the tin top) and saved a substantial amount of money too on 235x45 18s

Phil

sdh2903 - 5/6/13 at 06:21 PM

And just to add, dont buy pirelli, the last set i bought were absolute crap and bloody expensive too. (p zero rosso)

britishtrident - 5/6/13 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Going back a bit but I have seen about a half dozen Uniroyals where the steel tread belt parted from the tyre.

Hellfire - 5/6/13 at 06:25 PM

Forgot to mention that Contis are also prone to cracking on the side walls. My missus does very little mileage in her tin top and the Contis on hers cracked after about 12-18 months

Phil

skodaman - 5/6/13 at 06:26 PM

Got Uniroyals on my Mondeo and they're very good and cost less than some of the budget rubbish.

locogeoff - 5/6/13 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
And just to add, dont buy pirelli, the last set i bought were absolute crap and bloody expensive too. (p zero rosso)

Can you be a bit more specific about "absolute crap" I run P Zero rosso on an SLK280 with 18" wheels and the car seems absolutely planted, only seen the TC come on in the snow when I would agree it was verging on the unusable, you are not the first person to have this opinion on pirellis so I'm interested to hear opinions as the current set isn't going to last forever and it might make me change to a different tyre next time.

Regards

Geoff

morcus - 5/6/13 at 11:14 PM

I had a set of Contis for 3 years on my second car, they came attached to the car (Which was brand new) and still had something olike 3mm of thread when I sold it 12K later.

sdh2903 - 6/6/13 at 09:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by locogeoff
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

Can you be a bit more specific about "absolute crap" I run P Zero rosso on an SLK280 with 18" wheels and the car seems absolutely planted, only seen the TC come on in the snow when I would agree it was verging on the unusable, you are not the first person to have this opinion on pirellis so I'm interested to hear opinions as the current set isn't going to last forever and it might make me change to a different tyre next time.

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff

At the time of fitting them to my 320d they felt absolutely fine, but they were replacing budget rubbish. They did tramline a fair bit but I put that down to them being pretty wide. However when they were replaced with the vredestein ultrac sessanta's the car felt so much better. The tramlining vanished, both wet and dry grip were improved by a good 25-30%, they also wore better (evenly). At the time the vredesteins were £60 a corner cheaper than the Pirelli's so a £250 saving over the set. They have gone up a bit in price now due to getting good reviews and gaining popularity.

However at the minute I would not look past the goodyear eagle F1 assymetric 2. I have recently put them on the front of my FWD tin top with 220bhp and they have been superb, the wet grip especially is incredible.

This site is great for tyre testing and reviews, gives a lot of various people with varying cars giving there day to day opinions:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

locogeoff - 6/6/13 at 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info!

coyoteboy - 11/6/13 at 05:33 PM

quote:

Forgot to mention that Contis are also prone to cracking on the side walls. My missus does very little mileage in her tin top and the Contis on hers cracked after about 12-18 months Phil

? What sort of cracking? Mine has minor cracking too on the contis but nothing that poses an issue.

steve m - 11/6/13 at 06:18 PM

Budgets for me know, as at my age, i no longer drive like Nigel mansell