Board logo

Engine dipping
coyoteboy - 1/2/14 at 05:55 PM

Anyone know anywhere in Glasgow area that will hot dip my block and head before a rebuild?

v8kid - 1/2/14 at 06:53 PM

I'd also like to know if you find out!

In the past I've used hot caustic soda on three alloy v8 engines with no problems apart from the hassle of constructing a plastic dipping bath. I know doomongers will say it corrodes aluminium but that is not the case in my experience - remember it is important to soak in a weak acid ( that is a chemically weak acid not a diluted acid) eg vinegar afterwards.

However it causes one heck of a mess and there is all the sludge to get rid of afterwards i would be happy to pay £50 just to avoid the hastle.

I wonder if wood hot stripping companies would be OK after all its just caustic soda?

Cheers!

coyoteboy - 1/2/14 at 07:41 PM

Mines a cast iron block so less worried about the dip. The wood folk would probably dislike the oil? I thought about song it myself but my main prurpose would be to flush out my oil galleries etc and clean the outer for some painting.

doobrychat - 1/2/14 at 09:39 PM

when i did my van engine.. I had compressed air and got an old spray gun and filled it up with brake cleaner and blasted it everywhere.. made a mess but bought it up a treat before i rebuild it...

just an idea for you...

v8kid - 1/2/14 at 11:10 PM

Yup I remember now I used bottle cleaners to check the oil galleries with but they were clear. Disturbingly the last block a range rover one still had a load of casting sand in the waterways

coyoteboy - 2/2/14 at 04:15 PM

You mean sand isn't meant to be in the waterways?!