Board logo

BMW and their famous snapping timing chains
19sac65 - 22/3/14 at 07:28 AM

Today ime viewing a 2010 118d M Sport at a main dealer for the missus
60k and mint,approved BMW so i know its as good as it can be
So last night ime reading reviews and come across loads of info on a chain probłem
that can involve replacing cranks,heads etc
There was a mod but theres mixed reviews on whether it was effective
So are there any bmw techs on here that can advise me,the more i read the deeper it gets,only manuals effected etc
Thanks

mark.s - 22/3/14 at 10:30 AM

problem got sorted 2009

you will be fine with a 2010

this came from a mate who is the service manager at elms bedford, NOT the internet,

chassie also got revised on 3 series if you go that route, dont know about 1

also look at bm warranty for £500 a year, piece of mind and all that

mark

sdh2903 - 22/3/14 at 11:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mark.s
problem got sorted 2009

this came from a mate who is the service manager at elms bedford, NOT the internet,

mark

Not always the case, sister in laws 318d msport 2010 had the chain let go. Made a royal mess, 2.5k to fix bmw did stump up half as goodwill as the car was a few weeks out of warranty.

19sac65 - 22/3/14 at 07:46 PM

thanks for the input
so much for bmw quality
drove 30 miles to view the car (just come into stock-not prepped)
dents,scuff,kurbed wheels,torn leather seat bolster and filthy
the salesman actually said he wouldnt advise us buying it even after its been prepped for retail as it obviously been abused - tarting it up wont help
back to autotrader then

froggy - 22/3/14 at 09:28 PM

done a few now and the engine does need to come out but ive never seen any wear on the crank sprocket its just a very weak chain .head doesnt need to come off either and the bill has been around £1500 compared to 4k at bmw

froggy - 22/3/14 at 09:28 PM

done a few now and the engine does need to come out but ive never seen any wear on the crank sprocket its just a very weak chain .head doesnt need to come off either and the bill has been around £1500 compared to 4k at bmw

19sac65 - 23/3/14 at 10:37 AM

Thats good to hear
I read the early ones had a softer metal for the crank sprocket that became sharp,wearing through the chain
I know bmw changed the metal used bit heard that the problem still occures
Ille keep looking,although the prospect of a potential £1500 engine repair on a 60k premium car is dampening my enthusiasm

brookie - 24/3/14 at 07:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark.s
problem got sorted 2009

mark

very wrong even new car there selling have the poo engine , if just after 2009 u don't have to change the crank
So it like this before 2005/no problems with the chain at all ,2006 2009 chain and crank 2009 present just chain and bits and that on all 2l Diesel engines in all BMW cars
U can get the chain and bits replaced for £800 plus vat chain and crank £2000 plus vat