Board logo

JB to stay at mclaren
daniel mason - 11/12/14 at 07:32 AM

Hearing on sky he's got a seat for 2015!

[Edited on 11/12/14 by daniel mason]


bi22le - 11/12/14 at 09:05 AM

I did not expect that. So whos out?


Ugg10 - 11/12/14 at 09:07 AM

Good news for the team IMO, good engineering brain for a new car configuration and also a decent team mate to keep Alonso honest.

BBC news seems to suggest that Ron Dennis was favouring Magnussen as he would potnetially bring backers that would help him get his desired 51% stake. Looks like the other shareholders may have veto'd this, also suspect that Honda had a say in it given JB's previous experience with them/Braun and also the fact that he has a high profile Japanese partner and is a good marketing opportunity in that part of the world.

All supposition on my part but still good forthe sport to have JB there.


loggyboy - 11/12/14 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ugg10
Good news for the team IMO, good engineering brain for a new car configuration and also a decent team mate to keep Alonso honest.

BBC news seems to suggest that Ron Dennis was favouring Magnussen as he would potnetially bring backers that would help him get his desired 51% stake. Looks like the other shareholders may have veto'd this, also suspect that Honda had a say in it given JB's previous experience with them/Braun and also the fact that he has a high profile Japanese partner and is a good marketing opportunity in that part of the world.

All supposition on my part but still good forthe sport to have JB there.


Spot on, my exact opinion. But to also add I think Alonso would have pushed for JB also.


daniel mason - 11/12/14 at 10:12 AM

It did say magnusson was (only) earning around 500k per year whereas jb was on 12m + but he's agreed a pay cut as alonso's deal is massive making him f1's top earner!


Jon Ison - 11/12/14 at 10:27 AM

There's nothing I would like more than to see Alfonzo staring at JB's exhaust pipe throughout 2015, wasn't Magnusson pretty much paying to drive with his personal sponsorship ?


bi22le - 11/12/14 at 10:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
There's nothing I would like more than to see Alfonzo staring at JB's exhaust pipe throughout 2015, wasn't Magnusson pretty much paying to drive with his personal sponsorship ?


Thats pretty much the case these days. They only make money from personal sponsorship. A lot get paid 0 from their team.

There was an artical on it a year or two back.


mookaloid - 11/12/14 at 01:37 PM

Woo hoo great stuff. looking forward to seeing him beat Alonso


russbost - 11/12/14 at 02:10 PM

Now I wouldn't say "I told you so" but none of you believed me at the time!!

Linky Dinky

Last post but one on first page!


loggyboy - 11/12/14 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Now I wouldn't say "I told you so" but none of you believed me at the time!!

Linky Dinky

Last post but one on first page!




Move over EJ. RB is taking you're place


scootz - 11/12/14 at 04:00 PM


britishtrident - 11/12/14 at 04:29 PM

I think Alonso will have the drop on Jenson if car is a dog otherwise equally matched.
However I bet Alonso will not last the season without rancour at McLaren


omega0684 - 11/12/14 at 05:12 PM

anyone know how much Alonso's deal is compared to JB's?


CNHSS1 - 11/12/14 at 05:57 PM

saw that JB had asked for 12million and got 6, so it aint all bad for the small town boy

I suspect Alonso was pushing for JB too. McLaren have had some rough cars in recent years and as good as Mganussen is he hasn't got the depth of experience to develop a car whereas JB has.

The Honda/Japanese marketing aspect is a given--he will make 20million next year in Japanese endorsements alone I reckon. I also suspect that Honda have more time and respect for Button-san than RD too...


russbost - 11/12/14 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Now I wouldn't say "I told you so" but none of you believed me at the time!!

Linky Dinky

Last post but one on first page!




Move over EJ. RB is taking you're place


Yeah! I wouldn't mind the job!


motorcycle_mayhem - 11/12/14 at 06:26 PM

This is good news for JB, I expected him to become another Barrichello. There might still be life in the old guy yet (JB I mean), given that a certain Rossi is still able to swing his arthritic leg over an R1 and race with the kids.

My fear is that the Honda powerplant won't be up to Alonso's expectations, and lets face it, the 2014 chassis was a disaster.
The stranglehold on engine development, derived and ruthlessly policed by the Mercedes cartel, will ensure Mercedes dominance for 2015 and another rather boring 2 car race between team 'mates'. Give Lewis the 2015 trophy now, and let the others fight each other for the 'rea'l Championship...
Mercedes will allow the other teams to review their engines in 2016, so subsequent years may be more interesting, we'll see.


morcus - 11/12/14 at 10:42 PM

Good to see JB is still in F1 but I think its also sad that up and coming Kevin has now been relegated to test driver, but theres only so many seats.