Board logo

askmid?
02GF74 - 19/12/14 at 09:23 PM

If a car is showing as uninsured on asknid and was seen driven on a public road, does that mean an offence was comitted?

If driver is car trader, presumably the car is covered if trader has appropriate insurance, hence does not show up on askmid?

loggyboy - 19/12/14 at 09:34 PM

Not strictly, but even traders should update their providers with current stock regs. Obviously there is some leeway.
what it would mean is an easy anpr target and the need to prove the cover old school style.

Ignoring the trader side of thing, if the policy is recent it may not have been updated on to the MID.

[Edited on 19-12-14 by loggyboy]

robinj66 - 19/12/14 at 09:36 PM

It's an indication that an offence has been committed and would potentially give the police reasonable grounds to stop and/or seize the vehicle. However an offence has only been committed if there is in fact no valid insurance

fishywick - 19/12/14 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
If a car is showing as uninsured on asknid and was seen driven on a public road, does that mean an offence was comitted?

Possibly, although it can take a while for the database to be updated if insurance was recently taken out.

quote:
If driver is car trader, presumably the car is covered if trader has appropriate insurance, hence does not show up on askmid?

I guess so.........

flak monkey - 19/12/14 at 10:29 PM

It can take 7-10 days for the mid to be updated after valid insurance is obtained. One reason why it's always worth having a copy of your insurance very with you. I always have an electronic one on my phone ...