Board logo

Will this be an MOT failure (re dash)?
james h - 5/10/15 at 08:48 PM

I have tried two sets of 5JJ R1 clocks:

Original set: Doesn't display correct speed (always 0mph) on the LCD display. But no error codes.
Newer set: Displays speed, but has an 8000rpm self diagnostic needle bounce every few seconds (relates to fuel sensor issue - first set of clocks suggests the fuel sensor is fine).

Will either or both be an MOT failure? I'd rather get the car on the road asap so I can have a few more days driving the damn thing, and I can live with the needle bounce for the time being.

James

speedyxjs - 5/10/15 at 08:55 PM

Speedometer and rev counter are not part of class 4 MOT test

adithorp - 5/10/15 at 09:03 PM

Neither are an issue

james h - 5/10/15 at 09:40 PM

Oh jeez that's annoying, I had assumed the speedo not working was a certain fail - I hadn't gone for an MOT for that very reason! Time to book an MOT on a dry day.

SteveWalker - 5/10/15 at 10:49 PM

Speedo not working was brought into the MOT in 2012. Tacho isn't part of it though.

"Reason for Rejection:
1. Speedometer not fitted.
2. Speedometer incomplete, clearly inoperative or the dial glass broken or missing.
3. The speedometer cannot be illuminated."

The broken glass only applies if it is a danger, could foul the pointer or could be misread as the pointer.

Interestingly:
"A Tachograph is an acceptable alternative to a speedometer providing it satisfies the requirements of this inspection."

[Edited on 5/10/15 by SteveWalker]

Adamirish - 5/10/15 at 11:23 PM

Realistically, a tester won't ever move the car quickly enough to know whether the speedo is working or not anyway. Or at least they shouldn't.

SteveWalker - 5/10/15 at 11:40 PM

They may well do with a kit-car. My local place decided that the low ground clearance was a risk with their brake rollers, so took it out on the road with a deceleration (Tapley?) meter.

Also commonly used for permanent 4-wheel drive vehicles that should not be tested on normal brake rollers.

benchmark51 - 6/10/15 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
They may well do with a kit-car. My local place decided that the low ground clearance was a risk with their brake rollers, so took it out on the road with a deceleration (Tapley?) meter.

Also commonly used for permanent 4-wheel drive vehicles that should not be tested on normal brake rollers.

I bet that was an excuse to have a ride in your car.lol

rusty nuts - 6/10/15 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

I bet that was an excuse to have a ride in your car.lol

Wrong, with a kit car even if the weight is known it is not on the MOT database so roller readings are not acceptable.

james h - 6/10/15 at 07:53 PM

I'll put the clocks in with the working speedo just in case.

My thoughts were that often something which is fitted to a car must be working. I do get the correct rpm for about 2 seconds every 5 seconds or so, so that's kind of working? And the error relates to a fuel level sensor which I highly doubt is tested anyway.