Board logo

Opinion of the Masses Citroen Belingo 2.0 HDI Van 2001
Dave Bailey - 16/2/17 at 09:54 PM

So found a 2001 berlingo ex British gas with only 78k on the clock. It has a tow bar fitted and a quality roof rack capable of carrying 8x4 sheets. Short MOT but history shows it has passed pretty clean in the past. The only thing is clutch is heavy which I understand is common.. The van is pretty basic but should be easy to work on. There seems to be absolutely no rot in it. Towing weight should allow me to get a lightweight trailer and tow the kit. There is a little oil in the head pockets but ore than that its real clean...

Anyone know these vans and what they are like to run?

Thanks
Dave B

[Edited on 16/2/17 by Dave Bailey]

SJ - 16/2/17 at 10:19 PM

I think the engines are pretty solid. I had a 2000 Peugeot 2.0 HDI and never had any problems.

Dave Bailey - 16/2/17 at 10:23 PM

Thanks...

Irony - 16/2/17 at 10:50 PM

I have one, same engine but a peogeot partner car/van thing. Exactly the same as a Berlingo. Sliding doors on either side. If you want a solid work horse with no frills whatsoever then it's a good buy. £60 to fill up, will do 500 miles or just under on said tank. It literally has no bad points but neither does it have any outstanding ones. I would totally recommend it as a work horse.

coyoteboy - 17/2/17 at 12:23 AM

Hmm I'm less sold on the engine. I had (have, stranded on the drive) a 306hdi using the same - while it was running it was fine. However between 80K and 140K it had:

Crank pulley
Alternator
Two fuel pressure sensors
Fuel pressure control solenoid
Random engine failure - electrical, no hint via diagnostics.
Every electrical item in the car on the fritz at some point
dying alternator took out stereo.
Clutch, clutch cable, fuel hose cracked

Its final death knell was the rear beam axle collapsed.

[Edited on 17/2/17 by coyoteboy]

owelly - 17/2/17 at 03:11 AM

The older non-HDI engines are believed to be better, but not as quick and as said, the rear axles are prone to collapse through over-use or under-use!! I've seen a few with collapsed seats so have a bounce and look to see if they've had extra foam stuffed under the base cover. Also the exterior trim loves to fall off but that's easy to spot!

daniel mason - 17/2/17 at 07:15 AM

I wouldn't like to tow with one either. Small,light vans are not good for towing at all

minitici - 17/2/17 at 09:33 AM

I really like my 54 plate 2.0HDI Berlingo.

Tows really nicely with my small trailer.

Good economy.

As mine is a 54 plate 100K miles I have had to replace a few parts and had the belts etc done.

dinosaurjuice - 17/2/17 at 10:31 AM

If it has the Bosch common rail system it will be excellent. Some of them have a Siemens system and IMO its just not as reliable.

scimjim - 18/2/17 at 10:25 PM

My mother has had one for nearly 7 years (with the sliding doors and rear seats) - 54 plate. It sits next to random canals throughout the UK for weeks or months at a time while she's on her narrowboat, until she needs to go to a meeting or back to the house for anything. It has a basic service and MOT every year, is now on 180k (was about 150k and just had a new cambelt when she bought it) and has never let her down once. Doesn't feel as powerful as the 405 it replaced with the 1.9 XUD9 TE/L (turbo intercooler) and has the heavy clutch but she won't change it for anything now.

Dave Bailey - 18/2/17 at 10:36 PM

Thanks everyone... I'll let you know in a week how it's going... I collect it tomorrow.

Dave B