Board logo

EA189 NOx fix. Yes or No?
bi22le - 10/3/17 at 08:58 PM

Audi are now putting on some pressure with now 3 letters telling to book my car in. Free collection and deliver, free drinks if I wait.

Googling suggests that it causes problems.

Will my car be worth less if I dont get it done?

I hit 55mpg average on a crap stop star and bit of motorway commute so I am happy with it TBH.

Hugh_ - 10/3/17 at 09:50 PM

I had a VW letter offering the same today, this time more obviously endorsed by DVSA than previously.
My concern is that even if it doesn't impact performance power or economy I doubt very much that they can do that and reduce NOx without affecting reliability.

I'll won't be doing it unless dvsa make it compulsory.

prawnabie - 11/3/17 at 08:39 AM

Surely there will come a time when VAG can legally say they have exhausted all opportunities to get cars fixed and the fact the owners are refusing makes them responsible for the pollution?

bi22le - 8/5/18 at 02:40 PM

I am resurrecting this thread as I have booked my car in for the EA189 cheat delete remap.

I'm nervous that's it's going to ruin my car. I want to do it because I don't want it to be worthless or illegal if I officially refuse the update.

Googling this topic brings up no new insights, all google hits seem to be 1+ years old.

Please reassure me that I'm not about to screw my car up.

gremlin1234 - 8/5/18 at 06:06 PM

as you say few results in the last year, so it suggests it dosn't give major failings.

however, today they said even more cars are involved...
"Audi has admitted that another 60,000 A6 and A7 models with diesel engines have emission software issues."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44037673

Cubby - 9/5/18 at 01:00 AM

Had my VW CC GT done about a year ago . I've had no issues .The cars performance is unchanged in terms of performance and fuel economy . Did compile quite a lot of stats prior to putting it into to be updated just in case though !. The only discernible difference I can highlight is that the exhaust note seems a little more raspy at high revs (which I quite like )

AlexXtreme - 9/5/18 at 12:27 PM

I did not get mine done as did not want to risk loosing any performance / mpg. Contacted VW and asked them not to send any more letters.

They warned me that if I take the car in to them for anything that I need to tell them not to do the update as they will automatically! So I don't use VW anymore unless I have to... :-).

There was an auto mag that did a test of my car before and after the remap that showed a drop of low down torque but with no max figures effected. Seeing as this is where I drive my car most of the time... this has to change the performance IMHI as the engine will need more throttle to achieve the same mpg. This seems to be borne out by some owners experience.