Board logo

BMW 520i 2.2 170bhp, Towing kt car???
dmrider_10 - 26/6/17 at 08:38 AM

Im looking for something to replace my aging Volvo v70 2.4 petrol 140bhp which I use for towing our fish fury and little trailer (approx 650kg total) which it does OK. Im looking for a 5 series estate and theres a really nice one local but its only a 2.2 petrol with 170bhp. Ideally a 530i or 530D would be what Id go for but this car is very good in all other aspects. Do we think it will tow ok? Man maths says it has more power than the volvo so should be fine ut I dunno?

stevea - 26/6/17 at 09:35 AM

I'm towing 870kg fully laden with my Insigna 2.0D (140bhp) and it's spot on. Turbo Diesels will be a significant upgrade on a petrol with the same power as they have more grunt where you need it.

cliftyhanger - 26/6/17 at 10:08 AM

Flippin heck. My dad towed a 16ft caravan with a 1600 Austin Cambridge, all over England/wales/scotland. That had 70bhp?? Back in the late 60's and 70's. Caravans were not light back then, ours had a stove/fire in it! I towed an 850kg caravan with a 57bhp diesel astra all around the uk 20 years ago, although not fast on the hills, it towed well.

Power is very rarely an issue. What is an issue is the drivers experience/understanding of towing. If you understand how to correctly load a trailer, and the weight of the towing car is adequate, you will have no issues. Just a matter of knowing when problems are likely to occur (sidewinds/sudden manoevering and so on, again all to do with weight of car and to a certain extend overhang at the rear)

motorcycle_mayhem - 26/6/17 at 12:02 PM

Speed limits when towing are 30/50/60mph depending where you are.

I tow an enclosed trailer, fully laden Transhit, VOSA'd recently at 4.2t GTW on my way to Croft. Transhit is the mighty 2.4Di 90 BHP version...

You may well have the means to acquire a powerful tow vehicle, but is it really necessary? The race is at the circuit, not on the roads, and certainly not when towing.

mookaloid - 26/6/17 at 12:30 PM

Automatics are great for towing

coozer - 26/6/17 at 01:38 PM

These days you need to check the towing capabilities of the vehicles, not all models are homolgamated to tow...

ElmrPhD - 26/6/17 at 08:56 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm debating whether to use our '98 Subaru Forester Turbo vs the '78 Land Rover 109 (with Peugeot/LDV turbo diesel engine) for towing the MNR.
The Subi is so superiour for the driver (me), but I do like the mass/tonnage of the big Landy once under way.
Anyway, so I'm interested in what you all have to say about tow-vehicle choice.