Board logo

BMW diff unit
myke pocock - 19/1/19 at 05:33 PM

I have an E34 5 series BMW diff unit (mid 80's I think) fitted to my Skoda Estelle trials car. Far stronger than the original. I am using the original drive shafts, cut and sleeved to length. The splined input shafts fit into the diff unit and are retained by sprung rings that fit in a groove in the diff unit on both sides and click in to place in corresponding grooves in the drive shaft input shafts. The sprung rings are, I think, a bit tired as one shaft tends to drift out of the transaxle in use. Firstly is there a name for the sprung rings and secondly do they come in various sizes and where are they available from? I will try the local BMW spares dept but envisage they wont be bothered.

cliftyhanger - 19/1/19 at 06:08 PM

I have always called then snap rings.

I had a similar issue with the scooby diff in my spitfire, in the end I bought a box of assorted rings as nobody seemed to be able to help. Even then a fair bit of faff to choose the right ones.

If you have a measurement I may have some in my box...

myke pocock - 19/1/19 at 08:25 PM

Hello cliftyhanger. Thanks for the reply. If I had done my research better I would have found the name of them myself and also that you can get them in a variety of sizes for inner and outer on ebay. Ordered some so thanks very much for the offer.

cliftyhanger - 20/1/19 at 11:45 AM

Glad you found them.
My box is a JR one. Take care the ring isn't too tight, you want to be able to get the shaft out again! Flipside not too loose.
Plus I didn't have any rings to start with, so involved guesswork as well as verniers.

If you want any others, please ask.