Board logo

tintop paint question
theconrodkid - 17/3/19 at 11:50 AM

i had an argument with a dry stone wall, the wall won so now i have some nasty scratches on my front bumper, they are not deep enough for filler, the bumper is plastic and i assume the paint is water based (09 Hyundai), can i use celly, i am thinking aerosol as there is not enough damage to justify buying 1/2 liter of paint, some thinners and digging my spray gun out

bonzoronnie - 17/3/19 at 02:26 PM

AFAIK

Most rattle cans being sold by the likes of Halfrauds are now water based paint.

I believe they are now Acrylic paints & perfectly suitable for going over any water based paint system.

theconrodkid - 17/3/19 at 02:51 PM

cheers dude, looked at a couple of aerosols whilst on my travels and no info on them

Angel Acevedo - 17/3/19 at 03:13 PM

Even though you are on your way to a tatty car, my prefferred body shop man tells me that small scratches are better left alone as any retouching will make paint craze and flake over time and look worse...
I believe him, as IŽd think is better for him to have the job and even then he is honest...
Is there anything wrong with my logic??
AA

theconrodkid - 17/3/19 at 04:00 PM

AA, they wernt little scratches tho, white showing through the red paint, the rest of the car is 100%, i have done bodywork before so not afraid of that, scratches are repaired and in primer now, just waiting to get the right colour tommorow

bonzoronnie - 17/3/19 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
AA, they wernt little scratches tho, white showing through the red paint, the rest of the car is 100%, i have done bodywork before so not afraid of that, scratches are repaired and in primer now, just waiting to get the right colour tommorow

Glad to see you are on the case already

Junior twatted the front bumper on my Focus
Managed to find a used one in the right colour.
3 months later, the new bumper is still sitting in the garage & one on the car still gaffer taped up

MOT next month so best get to it.

gremlin1234 - 17/3/19 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bonzoronnie
Junior twatted the front bumper on my Focus
Managed to find a used one in the right colour.
3 months later, the new bumper is still sitting in the garage & one on the car still gaffer taped up

MOT next month so best get to it.

surely 'junior' should be doing the work!