Board logo

car is sorn
bikecarbfred - 20/4/19 at 09:07 PM

cant find v5 doc so can't take rebuilt car out now lol

it says sorn on dvla site.

i never sorned it.

do dvla now sorn it automatically after a few years?

so now i got no document n no tax. says it takes up to 6 weeks for new ones load of crap. must be a quicker way to tax it help me guys.

Quinten - 20/4/19 at 09:19 PM

They say upto 6 weeks, but in my experience it was barely 2 weeks to get a new V5 for a car.

bikecarbfred - 20/4/19 at 09:29 PM

who sorned it though?. it was my car and always had been for years

SteveWalker - 21/4/19 at 03:29 AM

If you phone up to get a replacement V5, they generate the reference number there and then and can tax it during the same call. Beware, you can only tax for six or twelve months, paid in full and cannot use monthly direct debit (unless it has changed in recent years).

steve m - 21/4/19 at 06:40 AM

Its a good job "someone sorned it" as the next time you went to tax it, you would have to of paid ALL of the back tax to when it was last taxed

steve

bikecarbfred - 21/4/19 at 06:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
If you phone up to get a replacement V5, they generate the reference number there and then and can tax it during the same call. Beware, you can only tax for six or twelve months, paid in full and cannot use monthly direct debit (unless it has changed in recent years).

well if thats the case im sorted. i would love to get the reference number on the first call. buzzing again!!!!

CosKev3 - 21/4/19 at 08:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Its a good job "someone sorned it" as the next time you went to tax it, you would have to of paid ALL of the back tax to when it was last taxed

steve

No that's not correct, if the car was untaxed before the SORN system started it states 'untaxed' if you check on line.
When you go to tax it it just goes back to the start of the month you are taxing it in.

SteveWalker - 21/4/19 at 08:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bikecarbfred
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

well if thats the case im sorted. i would love to get the reference number on the first call. buzzing again!!!!

They won't actually give you the reference number over the phone, but they will tax it for you there and then and the new V5 will follow in the post.

rusty nuts - 21/4/19 at 09:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

steve

No that's not correct, if the car was untaxed before the SORN system started it states 'untaxed' if you check on line.
When you go to tax it it just goes back to the start of the month you are taxing it in.

SORN system has been in use for about 20 years

Slimy38 - 21/4/19 at 09:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Quinten
They say upto 6 weeks, but in my experience it was barely 2 weeks to get a new V5 for a car.

Same here. I bought a car following the normal procedure, but the V5 never arrived. A form from the post office with the relevant charge and it was with me in just over a week. It might be slightly longer as you're in Easter now, but get it posted and it'll be here before you know it.

CosKev3 - 21/4/19 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

steve

SORN system has been in use for about 20 years

And?

I bought a 309gti which was untaxed before the SORN came in,probably not been taxed for about 15 years and didn't have to pay the tax back for all those years

bikecarbfred - 21/4/19 at 09:52 AM

wish i rang them now on saturday, theyl be closed today and maybe tomorrow bank holiday monday . i was looking forward to taking it out this weekend , weather was perfect