Board logo

New Sylva Striker owner
BDMStriker - 7/6/13 at 11:20 AM

Hi Guys

Been Meaning to introduce myself for a while on here, done plenty of browsing up to now

Im Ben , From Doncaster,

As of Feb this year ive owned a Vauxhall powered MK2 Sylva Striker in need of some TLC so its slowly on the mend

I will get some pictures up of when i got her and what her condition is now. i was going to just upload my progress but i want to make sure its in the right catagory first!

Cheers Guys!

[Edited on 7/6/13 by BDMStriker]

adithorp - 7/6/13 at 11:46 AM

Welcome. I guess this section is as good as any as tere's no specific Striker one..

We really need the boss to add a Jeremy Phillips section... Are you listening Chris?

BDMStriker - 7/6/13 at 11:58 AM

I did wonder! Ha

cheers for the welcome

well A little taster, how i got her and where im upto as of last night

since feb its been completely stripped, repainted & under sealed

It wont be far off a nut and bolt rebuild,

Had the unfortunate find that the CWP was worn due to the nose bearings having play , but found out it had a Quaife Lsd so not all bad!

[Edited on 7/6/13 by BDMStriker]

loggyboy - 7/6/13 at 12:01 PM

Redtop in a striker.... lovely combo
Keep us updated!

daveb666 - 7/6/13 at 12:41 PM

Best engine; what's the spec?

daveb666 - 7/6/13 at 12:41 PM

Best engine; what's the spec?

BDMStriker - 7/6/13 at 12:54 PM

Engine as it stood had a blown head, but luckily i have 2 Coscast heads should it be porous,

the bottom end is a stock c20xe but its running an MBE ecu with dellorto 45s and an SBD equal length manifold which according to the previous owner was originally designed for a westfield, its had the collector shortened by 22mm to fit,

daveb666 - 7/6/13 at 01:00 PM

Shild be good for 185-190 with a proper map on it then.

BDMStriker - 7/6/13 at 01:31 PM

the guy who originally built it said it was 190 ish & that it pulled well

4 weeks and hopefully get the engine back in just got the shallow sump and oil pump drive to transfer to the new block,

peter030371 - 7/6/13 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
We really need the boss to add a Jeremy Phillips section... Are you listening Chris?

2nd that

Nice to see another Striker on here and the amount the OP has got done since feb puts my poor efforts at finding time to work on my Striker to shame (anyone want to buy 4 kids? They are reasonably well behaved!)!

BDMStriker - 7/6/13 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

2nd that

Nice to see another Striker on here and the amount the OP has got done since feb puts my poor efforts at finding time to work on my Striker to shame (anyone want to buy 4 kids? They are reasonably well behaved!)!

haha i wouldnt put it much down to my dedication, more that as soon as Im in from work the other half ushers me into the garage so she can use the Wii fit and watch Home and Away on demand,

not that im complaining mind!

striker-4age - 8/6/13 at 12:00 PM

Looks good m8

Strikers r the best !!!!

Wot did u pay 4 it ??

I have got a sbd 225bhp kit for a xe and a fresh built xe that is ready to go in a striker when I can find a project one

BDMStriker - 9/6/13 at 09:35 AM

3k with 2 engines and spare set of tyres.

The car needed a bit more work that i realised but i didnt think it was bad relative

striker-4age - 9/6/13 at 09:42 AM

That is a good price

six mad - 11/6/13 at 09:17 PM

Hello and welcome

I have a striker too and live not far, just near Selby

BDMStriker - 8/9/13 at 03:59 PM

Sorry for the late update, its 100% not going to be seeing the road until early 2014, but up to now its at least back on all fours!

A few pics of its current stage, Rear axle reconditioned, new CWP and bearings with Lsd as the last were totally razor teethed, discs pads drums all round replaced, new m16 calipers up front, satin black sides and stoneguarded all underside,

Just giving the Type 9 a fresh coat of black enamel and will be starting on the block and carbs to hopefully get them in for the end of September,

JohnEM - 28/9/13 at 05:43 PM

Looking good, don't forget to enjoy it next year!
Still part of the enjoyment is getting out in the garage and doing the rebuild.
John, Striker owner.

BDMStriker - 2/11/13 at 06:02 PM

Another little update,

Got the head back from being overhauled & pressure-tested/machined,

Head bolted down with ARP Head studs & 1.2mm Reinz gasket (which i find personally some of the best to use for ease of mind, tad overpriced though)

slowly looking like a car again, just got the 45's to get stripped & get the manifold mounted then i'll hopefully get the new fibreglass body ordered,

taken longer than i expected but enjoyed every minute, just hope i enjoy it on the road as much !

A few pics of progress next big milestone being the fireup!

please ignore the yellow rocker cover, either to be polished or enamel white!

BDMStriker - 18/11/13 at 03:17 PM

just a couple of update pics!

Manifold and colllector refurb!

a little bit of before and after cleaning!

Radiator, alternator, started and header tank/hoses then should be near to getting her fired up!

peter030371 - 18/11/13 at 03:50 PM

Looking good

What undercoat/ paint did you use to paint the sides and scuttle area? Do you think it will stay 'stuck' on the old aluminium?

CRAIGR - 18/11/13 at 03:50 PM

Looking good that . I do like Strikers

BDMStriker - 18/11/13 at 04:05 PM

cheers for the comments guys

I used trade underseal/stoneguard throughout the engine bay and fully under the entire car, takes a good 8-10 weeks to fully go off but far prettier than a stonechipped DIY paint job. if you get chips etc it amalgams back together so reseals etc. i stippled it with a short brush instead of brushing it on,

the side panels should be fine, they were keyed back Etch primed the satin Sprayed with U-pol followed with a dusting of laquer to seal , Its all been Garage Rattle-can work but the finish is exactly what i was after,

All the stoneguarded parts are hidden once the bodywork is on, i bought the car with the intention of it being used when and wherever so expecting battle scars, possibly the reason i went so far with the underseal!

[Edited on 18/11/13 by BDMStriker]

[Edited on 18/11/13 by BDMStriker]

BDMStriker - 30/11/13 at 10:04 AM

Another weekend set for working on it, had the rocker back from the powdercoaters, tanks on and stoneguarded etc,

rad hoses and ignition system then ready for the fireup,

only a few little updates !

daveb666 - 3/12/13 at 01:57 PM

oooh, that'll be loud with just the manifold on!

BDMStriker - 16/12/13 at 08:46 AM

Well a little setback this weekend

had no spark across all 4 plugs last week so replaced the coil and crank sensor to no avail,

MBE 906 ecu is dead as a dodo, either its just corrupt or the ignition drivers are dead, it hasnt been used for 11 years so half expected it, but sets me back on the build quite a bit, especially since its something circa 500-600 quid,

looks the part mind, carbs all cleaned through, and practically ready to rock and roll, because its a modified head i cant run conventional dissy and rotor either, which would of been a way round it for now!

sad times!

a couple of pics of the mani and silencer and with the rad and bellmouths, nice garage ornament for the next couple of months!

peter030371 - 16/12/13 at 09:08 AM

Gutted for you Don't lose heart though, you have got a long way and from what I can see the difficult stuff is all done

Does it have to be an MBE controller? Lots of options for ignition only controllers at around £400 or less.....i.e. Megajolt/ Megasquirt, Omex 200, Nodiz etc. Even if you cost in a new engine loom on an ignition only unit this is not going to cost too much more.

Edited to add>
Soon as I hit 'post' I spotted this Megajolt for sale....got to be worth a serious look at

[Edited on 16/12/13 by peter030371]

daveb666 - 16/12/13 at 09:10 AM

SBD may be able to repair your ECU, but as above there are plenty of 2nd hand items around if you search. I got an MBE967 ECU (fuel injection) and loom for £250 a few months ago.

BDMStriker - 16/12/13 at 08:08 PM

cheers for that guys,

After looking on the Nodiz website im very tempted, just short of £400 for a fully mappable setup and still able to retain the original Crank sensor setup,

I was in 2 minds whether to attempt to get the MBE repaired, its too old for SBD to really look at apparently, and the software for mapping is out of date relative, plus it means i could suit the ecu to the engine and have some sort of on the fly feedback as i dont know how good the map was due to never having it running, only the previous owner

Dopdog - 16/12/13 at 10:12 PM

HI Ben,

Just came across your posts and am sorry to hear that the edu does not work. It never let me down at all and fired from the very first time I turned the engine over. I am a bit surprised that SBD cannot have a look at it for you as it is one of theirs? I surpose these things do not work forever!!

I am sure you will be able find another unit and believe me it is worth the wait.

Simon

[Edited on 16/12/13 by Dopdog]

[Edited on 16/12/13 by Dopdog]

BDMStriker - 16/12/13 at 11:28 PM

Evening Simon!

Nah the MBE not running is no biggie. Totally hooked on getting the car back on the road for next year. . And hopefully you'll approve of its progress!

I havent contacted SBD about it as yet. More just researching about the 906 that its not supported anymore. And as the cars having an overhaul i might as well update the management at the same time.

Its been a definate learning curve especially trying to source parts and find donor vehicles that were used etc but enjoying it !

I know the time nath had the car after yourself it was stored in a flood area of 2009 ish in hull so wondered if it was waterdamaged. And considering its age at nearly 21 its had a very good innings

Currently toying between an MBE 9a4i and a nodiz_pro.!

[Edited on 16/12/13 by BDMStriker]

peter030371 - 17/12/13 at 09:20 AM

Just a quick thought....I know you have carbs and not fuel injection but are you not tempted to upgrade to a fuel injection ECU ready for the day you want to change

BDMStriker - 18/1/14 at 04:01 PM

Always a milestone!!

excuse it sounding a bit out,, base timing settings and carbs yet to be fully balanced,

didnt think it was bad for an engine with a bit of head work and its first run in over 10 years,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n6MnHn-NGA

[Edited on 18/1/14 by BDMStriker]

peter030371 - 18/1/14 at 06:07 PM

Love it

I so need to get me car up and running but I am a good six months away from that point

perksy - 18/1/14 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BDMStriker
Evening Simon!

Nah the MBE not running is no biggie. Totally hooked on getting the car back on the road for next year. . And hopefully you'll approve of its progress!

I havent contacted SBD about it as yet. More just researching about the 906 that its not supported anymore. And as the cars having an overhaul i might as well update the management at the same time.

Its been a definate learning curve especially trying to source parts and find donor vehicles that were used etc but enjoying it !

I know the time nath had the car after yourself it was stored in a flood area of 2009 ish in hull so wondered if it was waterdamaged. And considering its age at nearly 21 its had a very good innings

Currently toying between an MBE 9a4i and a nodiz_pro.!

[Edited on 16/12/13 by BDMStriker]

Striker looks good

As for the broken MBE ECU, if you PM 'Oddified' off here i'm sure Ian will be able to fix it for you.
He keeps a lot of the spares for MBE ECU's and has fixed many in the past.

BDMStriker - 25/1/14 at 10:00 AM

cheers for that

had seen oddified website about getting it repaired etc but since doing the full rebuild having a mappable ecu seems easier now.

So anyone who wants an old 906 that needs repair theyre welcome to it

another 2 days work to crack on with on it!

BDMStriker - 16/3/14 at 06:44 PM

Not really given much of an update up to now..

Bodywork was ordered and collected from Raw Direct, Fantastic Bunch of guys & Petrolheads at heart..

decided on a 1 piece rear tub all in white... now the difficult bits done wireing dash and interior for the summer!

Apart from a few gel cracks... on the side mounts to the ally panel on one side, i am amazed how versatile fibreglass is,, especially cutting out the exhaust etc

the front arches arent fitted and just resting on the tyres, so not a bad fitment!

[Edited on 16/3/14 by BDMStriker]

perksy - 16/3/14 at 07:10 PM

Worth mixing up some clear glassfibre resin and applying it to the edges of the cut fibreglass around the exhaust manifold if you haven't already, This will stop the fibreglass 'de-laminating' where you've cut it if it gets wet.

BDMStriker - 13/4/14 at 07:46 PM

Cheers for that, will look into it!

short but sweet update, made a backing plate/cluster for the read lights,, gives it a different look for a kit, droppled the old 7" fronts for a 5"3/4 set in matt black too

progress, should be MOT time in the next month or so

peter030371 - 14/4/14 at 11:05 AM

The rear lights look good....gives me some more ideas for my car when I get to that stage

daveb666 - 14/4/14 at 11:27 AM

There's a chap with an MBE 967 ECU and loom (for a zetec but easily modifiable) for £250 on WSCC forums.

That will allow you to upgrade to TBs in future if you wanted.

Can't remember if you'd sorted your management yet or not?

brookie - 14/4/14 at 05:19 PM

where about in Doncaster u from

BDMStriker - 29/4/14 at 06:57 AM

Cantley Mate..

just a few little updates, waiting on a set of buckets and to get it wired.. hopefully 4 weeks as theres a house move due

[Edited on 29/4/14 by BDMStriker]

BDMStriker - 5/10/14 at 09:01 PM

Bit of a late update, had a unexpected house move thats meant the strikers new home is a family members garage for the moment!,

booked thurs and fri off work to get a start on the wiring, halfway through it, still a few things such as lights, hazards, horn and rad fan to finish off then hoping to get the seats bolted in,

A vid of its first dash based start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yARo3hqJKeU&list=UUrCfIihtX_xh3TY-GL4Kt3A

BDMStriker - 23/8/15 at 10:02 PM

Finally i'm pleased to say its actually finished,

ready for MOT which will hopefully be weekend after next for a steady shakedown,

Originally back in Feb 2013 it was meant as a 6 month build which turned into a 2.5 year build... It had quite a few more gremlins such as the Diff Being shot. Full Head Rebuild, New Management , complete new brakes and lines, Body work new seats etc etc,

My Nephew being the first passenger wih the harnesses on!

So hoping to have the end part of 2015 to really get to know the car... i know its a clear rebuild but i intend to drive it, it'll be far from a trailor queen

Hoping to eventually look at getting a full cage fitted if possible..

[Edited on 23/8/15 by BDMStriker]

BDMStriker - 23/8/15 at 10:07 PM

Apologies for the giant images.. trying to resize!

Dopdog - 23/8/15 at 10:09 PM

Great stuff well sone

BDMStriker - 23/8/15 at 10:17 PM

Cheers Mate, Been a long time coming!,

Nath the previous owner gave me all the original docs with it.. 2 full ringbinders on it now your original build and mine

peter030371 - 24/8/15 at 11:44 AM

Looking great....I just want to get mine done but its still a long way from turning a wheel under its own power!

DapperRob - 24/8/15 at 02:18 PM

That looks proper boss! Always loved a C20XE, and craved a C20LET (turbo'd version) for ages, if you can find one which hasn't been spanked. If you need engine spares, despite not always being the most welcoming to outsiders, MIGWEB forum has an active for sale section.

The exhaust manifold is just a work of art. Not a personal fan of the dash, but at least it's neat - if very colourful!

Can I ask which seats you went for / £? I'm looking for some full height ones at the moment, as I've got no head restraint and I hear that hitting your skull on the rollbar hurts a bit.

Also just spotted... do RAW still do the wing-top indicators, or did you just choose to have them mounted under the headlights for aesthetics?

Cheers....... R

BDMStriker - 24/8/15 at 03:05 PM

The dash is a bit marmite .. but in person its not so garish honest.. it was an attempt of fitting the 88/89/91 marlboro colors in to the car without being obvious..

The seats are JK Composites strikers. Bit snug but the only set i could find that fit well.. IIRC about £260/280 ish best fitting seats ive found and very well made

I cant imagine a C20let in something like this.. i ran 250 ish in a 1.8t leon and just playing with the c20xe on the drive it shocked me how brutal they really are... my first kit so will be treading carefully!

[Edited on 24/8/15 by BDMStriker]

DapperRob - 24/8/15 at 03:29 PM

A brilliant, thanks chap. Again JK Composites are the only ones I know of which are narrow enough. Comfy enough, I presume?

Rob

BDMStriker - 25/8/15 at 09:39 PM

Forgot to mention!. The front indicators are original to the Sylva build ( it was originally built back in 1997) the guy i bought it from hadnt had it long after he bought it.. ( in the 3rd owner as far as im aware) before it was mothballed 2002 ish till 2013 from a suspect dead engine which he then lost interest ( which turned out to be insulation failure on no3 sparkplug.. head was off and skimmed, new valve guides. Pressure tested etc when i got my hands on it. Its one of the best condition 20xes ive seen. Most are shot now or had a lot of money on them.. !

As for comfort of the seats.. ill give some feedback in the near future!. Seems a lot of people do run them though!

[Edited on 25/8/15 by BDMStriker]

bi22le - 25/8/15 at 09:53 PM

I have got a JK comp in my Striker. Its snug but then Im short and skinny(ish).

I did put my foot through the bottom of it thought when getting in and out of the car on a track day so be careful!!!

jeffw - 26/8/15 at 05:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DapperRob
A brilliant, thanks chap. Again JK Composites are the only ones I know of which are narrow enough. Comfy enough, I presume?

Rob

I have Tillett B3.5 carbon seats in the Phoenix which is essentially a Striker with clothes so there are other seats that would fit.

BDMStriker - 12/10/15 at 07:42 PM

MOT Passed.... Shame its so late in the year!

bit of an animal compared to what i know !

Dopdog - 12/10/15 at 08:14 PM

Well done for getting it on the road you just need to get out and have some fun with.

perksy - 12/10/15 at 08:23 PM

Looks very nice that

peter030371 - 13/10/15 at 07:16 AM

Looks great, will we see you on the JPSC stand at Stoneleigh next year then

The Knobs - 14/10/15 at 08:45 PM

Remember hours speant on that in my garage, good times, seems a lifetime ago

[Edited on 14/10/15 by The Knobs]

BDMStriker - 5/2/16 at 12:02 PM

4 months in,

What fun they are to drive!, 3 year of it being a complete pain in the backside.. engine management issues.. new diff. etc etc

But by far one of the most rewarding cars Ive ever owned... Im still apprehensive with it as its a totally different beast to fwd and 4wd hot hatches, but slowly starting to feel the car & how i performs, Much needed Track time is possibly my next thing,

Hopefully get along to a few meets & shows this year I keep hearing about Stoneleigh which i think will be 100%

Any more which others think i should know about would be greatly appreciated!

adithorp - 5/2/16 at 03:31 PM

Ifyou're after track time you'd be hard pressed to beat Franks Blyton Days There's plenty of LCB members there, not to much traffic on track and lots of run off... and they're relatively local to you as well.

JPSC club usually have a good turn out at Stoneleigh with quite a few arriving Sat afternoon and staying the whole weekend. It'd be good to see another Striker/owner.

peter030371 - 5/2/16 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BDMStriker
4 months in,

What fun they are to drive!, 3 year of it being a complete pain in the backside.. engine management issues.. new diff. etc etc

But by far one of the most rewarding cars Ive ever owned... Im still apprehensive with it as its a totally different beast to fwd and 4wd hot hatches, but slowly starting to feel the car & how i performs, Much needed Track time is possibly my next thing,

Hopefully get along to a few meets & shows this year I keep hearing about Stoneleigh which i think will be 100%

Any more which others think i should know about would be greatly appreciated!

Wish this forum had a like button

BDMStriker - 31/10/16 at 09:18 PM

Another Little update.

covered just under 3000 miles, a fair few updates to it,,,

New tyres all round

Possibly the only set of DHLAs with working chokes too (from what ive been told theyre usually useless),

MOT man wanted a rear FOG light which really i didnt need but to cut the hassle fitted one just so theres no reason to be failed for not having it etc,

had originally Sorned it for winter... which didnt really last much past 4 weeks before I couldnt take it any longer,

another years MOT

hopefully get it out and about to a few bits and bobs next year once it warms up

[Edited on 31/10/16 by BDMStriker]

Hammy360 - 7/11/16 at 04:15 PM

Looks great mate! Do you know there is no legal requirement to have your race numbers crossed out. Its an MSA rule not a legal thing

BDMStriker - 9/11/16 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hammy360
Looks great mate! Do you know there is no legal requirement to have your race numbers crossed out. Its an MSA rule not a legal thing

Yeah I wasnt until recently mate.. I wasnt 100% on the legalities of it and i crossed them purely incase i got pulled for it seems to get attention as 7 esque cars dont half stick out like a sore thumb!,

now theyre no longer crossed, it'll never see competition other than the odd track day, i just wanted something to break up the side panels a bit... hoping for a few blats round cadwell & blyton early 2017, spectated a fair few times with mates going

[Edited on 9/11/16 by BDMStriker]