Board logo

Sylva or STM Phoenix?
sdenne - 15/7/20 at 04:55 PM

Hello,
I am from Germany and I recently bought a Phoenix 2001 - I will get the car at the end of July so I only have these pictures.
I would like to know if it is a Sylva or STM car. The VIN starts with BFC...

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

SPYDER - 15/7/20 at 07:42 PM

The badge would suggest that it is a Sylva.

sdenne - 15/7/20 at 07:45 PM

Hello Spyder,
thank you for the answer but the picture is not good enough that you can see that it is a Lotus badge.
Stefan

sdenne - 15/7/20 at 07:50 PM

Hello Spyder again,
your chassis is made of round tubes, mine is made of square tubes - could this be a hint that it is a Sylva?

SPYDER - 15/7/20 at 08:22 PM

My car is a 2005 round tube chassis designed by STM. I don't know exactly when STM bought the Phoenix from Sylva but i think it was 2001. That likely means that your car could be from either manufacturer. It should tell you on the paperwork when you get it.

Norfolkluegojnr - 15/7/20 at 10:03 PM

my sylva fury is square tube if that helps at all - looks identical under the bonnet to yours.

skippad - 17/7/20 at 08:32 AM

I was building an STM Phoenix in 2007/8
The only difference i can see on photos are the rocker arms ...STM has strengthener bar across top of rocker arms

adithorp - 17/7/20 at 12:19 PM

I thought STM made square tube chassis before introducing the round tube version but I could be wrong.

Norfolkluegojnr, though the JP chassis are simlar in many ways the Fury and Phoenix/Striker vary in the front suspension. Fury rocker is above the chassis and under on Phoenix/Strikers. The Phoenix/Striker are also narrower in the cockpit.

jeffw - 19/7/20 at 07:56 AM

Highly unlikely to be a Sylva with round tube chassis. Does the chassis plate not give you a clue ?

adithorp - 19/7/20 at 05:11 PM

Jeff, the OP's car is square tube chassis. Question is did STM make a square tube. My recollection is they did both but if not that'd seal it as a Sylva.

quote:
Originally posted by sdenne
Hello Spyder again,
your chassis is made of round tubes, mine is made of square tubes - could this be a hint that it is a Sylva?

jeffw - 19/7/20 at 09:10 PM

Sorry, wrong end of the stick. I think they did but the hint will be the chassis plate

MikeR - 19/7/20 at 11:27 PM

I thought the big thing with the STM chassis was it entirely laser cut round tube.

yogibear1969 - 26/7/20 at 08:40 PM

quote:
[The VIN starts with BFC...

Hi,
VIN starting BFC is very strange, I'd like to see what the Chassis plate says. What is it registered as?
Edd

sdenne - 26/7/20 at 09:01 PM

Hello,
I will let you know - I will get the car on tuesday.
In Germany some of these cars are registered as Lotuses, Westfields, etc. with older first registration due to the emissions regulations.
sdenne

sdenne - 7/8/20 at 06:43 PM

Hello,
the Phoenix has arrived - but no clues about Sylva or Stuart Taylor.
The registration is for a Bond Equipe, no problem for me because I want to use it on track.
That was a common method back in the 2000s to get such a beautiful car on german roads but it’s not 100% legal.

Description
Description

sdenne

procomp - 7/8/20 at 10:04 PM

Hi. That is a Sylva chassis. The STM chassis where a little more developed in a few areas, only a few stm square tube chassis where made before switch to round tube as mentioned.
Ill forward pictures to Ian for conformation.

procomp - 8/8/20 at 07:59 AM

Conformation from Ian and the biggest give away is, all STM chassis had floor mounted pedals. So definitely a Sylva.

sdenne - 8/8/20 at 02:29 PM

Hello Procomp,
thank you very much for the information!
sdenne

procomp - 9/8/20 at 10:04 PM

Hi. Glad to help. 👍