Board logo

MK INDY - probably recognised by a few on here!
wrayvon - 25/6/17 at 01:36 PM

Back in February I bought a cracking little mk indy from a friendly man who lives chuffing miles away from me. So here's my story so far and a few pics...

I roped a friend into driving me down on a Friday during rush hour - bizarrely it was really quiet! We had a good look around the car and quick spin and I was hooked already. Got it loaded up and set off back north.

Traffic on the way home was a nightmare, mainly due to road closures etc. So it was after 1am when we finally got home. I opted to push it into my garage so as not to wake the neighbours...

The next day I promptly sorted my tax and insurance and looked outside, chucking it down. Bugger!
Sod it, I went out in it anyway. After pulling out of my driveway I changed to second and the back on swung out. Brown trousers moment... Note to self, take it very easy in the wet!
Anyway I loved it, so much fun even when I was getting wet through.

Over the next few months I have just been enjoying driving it (in the dry mainly). I have given it a good service and replaced the rocker gasket as it was weeping a bit. (New one was worse so had to do this twice...)

I updated the lights also to make them a little brighter and perhaps make it look newer? Who knows. Sidelights are now LED anyway....

Next on the plan is a gearbox refresh as one of the synchros seems to be a bit worn.

Here are a few pictures anyway!

I'll try remember to update this thread every time I do something with it...

Hope you enjoyed my ramblings anyway

Sam

Edit: my images aren't working, doh! I'll have to fix it when I'm back on my laptop

[Edited on 26/6/17 by wrayvon]

Ben_Copeland - 25/6/17 at 01:53 PM

none of the pictures are working

wrayvon - 26/6/17 at 08:46 AM

Images are now working!

jacko - 26/6/17 at 05:24 PM

That Indy looks familiar
now who could build a car that nice and miss it like hell mmmmmmm

And that Theakston looks good too

[Edited on 26/6/17 by jacko]

Benzine - 26/6/17 at 06:30 PM

Looks great 2 tone cars are the best

wrayvon - 26/6/17 at 06:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
That Indy looks familiar

It's a credit to you, it has been pretty much faultless so far!

jacko - 26/6/17 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wrayvon
quote:
That Indy looks familiar

It's a credit to you, it has been pretty much faultless so far!

Thankyou sir

I loved building it
Graham

wrayvon - 10/7/17 at 10:25 AM

Last week, 2 things happened.

Firstly, it passed it's MOT! WOO.

Second, this:

All that just to get the gearbox out....

Gearbox is off to be rebuilt - got a worn synchro which has been playing up pretty much since I got it. So figured it was finally time to get it sorted.

Going to replace cambelt whilst it's all apart also.

[Edited on 10/7/17 by wrayvon]

nick205 - 10/7/17 at 04:03 PM

Good call on the cam belt - never hurts to know exactly when it was done.

Not difficult on the Pinto either from memory.

Gre3D - 10/7/17 at 07:09 PM

nice looking car :-)

mookaloid - 10/7/17 at 07:19 PM

Good grief only had it a couple of months and it's broken already???

I reckon the guy who built it didn't have a clue ........

wrayvon - 11/7/17 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Gre3D
nice looking car :-)

Thanks!

wrayvon - 11/7/17 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Good grief only had it a couple of months and it's broken already???

I reckon the guy who built it didn't have a clue ........

Hehe!

Gearbox is on it's way back to the garage now, hoping to get it back on the road by the weekend! Fingers crossed

wrayvon - 13/7/17 at 12:43 PM

Gearbox is back in.....

And then the engine!

Spotted a little issue....

So that has been fixed too.

Looking forward to getting it back on the road now

jacko - 13/7/17 at 06:37 PM

How are you going to fit the carbs on that side ?
you have done a lot of work that you didn't need to looking at the photos
It looks like your having a good time

And don't trust that Mookaloid block
No he is one of the good ones
Graham

mookaloid - 13/7/17 at 06:40 PM

quote:

Graham

PAUL FISHER - 13/7/17 at 08:37 PM

The broken weld was probably done here Graham, they don't call you the " hustler" for nothing

York Drag Day 2
York Drag Day 2

wrayvon - 13/7/17 at 08:56 PM

quote:

Graham

Potentially! I wish I could say I was doing the leg work but I'm not. A good friend of mine runs the garage so he's doing it for me. It would take me far too long at weekends and I don't really have the tools or knowledge to be honest!

jacko - 16/7/17 at 08:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
The broken weld was probably done here Graham, they don't call you the " hustler" for nothing

York Drag Day 2
York Drag Day 2

Hi Paul long time no see i hope you are well

That photo was the good old days we had good times
Graham
ps
this is where the Hustler came from my racing days
Anglia with moggy 1000 wings & ford 3000 v6
Anglia with moggy 1000 wings & ford 3000 v6

[Edited on 16/7/17 by jacko]

ollycutts1982 - 17/7/17 at 08:34 AM

Great work so far, enjoying following the build.

wrayvon - 18/7/17 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ollycutts1982
Great work so far, enjoying following the build.

Thanks!

--------

Got the car back last night - I can now finally enjoy first gear!

wrayvon - 31/7/17 at 04:33 PM

Next chapter in my MK book was to take it down to DanST Engineering headquarters to try out various things to see if any gains could be had over the current air filter set up.

Ended up just replacing the filters as it turns out it is already making good figures so the gains I would get would only be small (and quite a few pennies!) so opted for the cheaper option.

A few pictures whilst it was there anyway.... (and 1 just 'cos)

EDIT: Christ they were big - I'll sort these out tomorrow

EDIT 2: Images:

[Edited on 31/7/17 by wrayvon]

[Edited on 1/8/17 by wrayvon]

wrayvon - 1/8/17 at 02:50 PM

Images above now fixed....

Just noticed my original post they have broken now - bloody photobucket!

mookaloid - 1/8/17 at 02:59 PM

If you want it to accelerate faster, then put a 3.92 diff in it. I beat Jacko on the drag strip way back when I had my similar car. The motors were very similar on pwer but if I recall I was running a 3.92 and your car has a 3.62 ( I am presuming it has a 7" diff)

Oh and mine had a better driver by the way

wrayvon - 3/8/17 at 10:57 AM

quote:
If you want it to accelerate faster, then put a 3.92 diff in it. I beat Jacko on the drag strip way back when I had my similar car. The motors were very similar on pwer but if I recall I was running a 3.92 and your car has a 3.62 ( I am presuming it has a 7" diff)

That sounds good, however any sustained high speed might get a little more annoying due to higher revs surely?

Haha I'm sure Graham will be along shortly to argue that one with you

mookaloid - 3/8/17 at 11:13 AM

quote:
quote:

That sounds good, however any sustained high speed might get a little more annoying due to higher revs surely?

The change to 3.92 is not a radical one. It will just add that bit extra ooomph and make things a bit more lively.

It's perfectly ok at 70mph - above that the general discomfort of driving a 7 and the wind noise etc completely takes over anyway. If you want a relaxed cruiser get a Lexus

wrayvon - 4/8/17 at 09:08 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

The change to 3.92 is not a radical one. It will just add that bit extra ooomph and make things a bit more lively.

It's perfectly ok at 70mph - above that the general discomfort of driving a 7 and the wind noise etc completely takes over anyway. If you want a relaxed cruiser get a Lexus

Haha fair point! Something I may have to look into....

wrayvon - 16/8/17 at 11:02 AM

New lights (thanks for the link for these Trevor (from facebook group)!):

They work a treat at night too!

[Edited on 16/8/17 by wrayvon]

Ety - 11/11/17 at 10:21 PM

Hi,

Like what your doing to Graham's old car. Sorry to hear about the gearbox. Never failed an MOT when I had it.

Lights look good. Like the windscreen and wipers wander who fitted those

Keep the pictures coming and glad you are enjoying her.

I always wanted to remove the three cylinder look. Nice sausage filter.

Thanks for Sharing.

wrayvon - 16/11/17 at 08:27 AM

I guess I should probably add another update from the last month or so.

I did my first track day! It was tremendous fun!
However, the heavens opened and my car turned into a hot wheels car it seems. I had literally no grip - my friend on slicks had more grip than I did. Slightly weird!

So a lot of sideways action happened then I had to call it a day as I simply couldn't drive it at any pace on the track. ☹️

Driving home was slightly precarious also as it was still wet and I had a 2 hour drive... Only one moment of squirrelling whilst going up a slip road...

As soon as I got home I ordered some new tyres, can't be driving round on those deathtraps anymore!

When the new ones arrived I took them to get fitted and it turned out the tyres were probably the originals as the date stamp said 2003!! 😮😐

Driving it now is like driving a different car, so much grip! Previously I just presume they were all like that due to the low weight. Ey dear!

Such a fun car 😁

wrayvon - 30/1/18 at 02:05 PM

Tiny update.... I bought a trailer.

It's a tilty one! Testing it for the first time with my car....

And levelled out....

Time to book some more track days....

wrayvon - 2/3/20 at 04:30 PM

Wow I haven't updated in a while! My apologies.

Since the last update I've done a few more track days and bought a set of slicks too

Also replaced the trailer for a much smaller one (only just bigger than the car).

Had a few electrical issues which turned out to be a bad earth.

Replaced the front brakes with larger 4 pot Cosworth's

Gearbox woes also return (in a different way) so tried a new clutch. That didn't work. So I have decided to bite the bullet and replace the gearbox. Fingers crossed it goes away now....

Oh yeah, I've just started another rather big change actually.... the pinto is coming out for good

Watch this space for what is going in it's place

jacko - 2/3/20 at 07:16 PM

Hi mate
I'm glad to read your enjoying the car and having fun and I am waiting to see what engine you fit
Graham

wrayvon - 9/3/20 at 01:51 PM

Engine is now out!

Working in my tiny garage is never ideal, but so far so good....

[Edited on 9/3/20 by wrayvon]

Big T - 16/3/20 at 05:43 PM

Looks like you’re making some decent progress. Headlights look like a vast improvement.

wrayvon - 6/5/20 at 04:27 PM

Not a lot to update really due to this blooming lock down. New engine is here, I have pretty much all the parts but the car isn't in my garage so i can't work on it

Will update when I've managed to get something done....

roadrunner - 6/5/20 at 06:25 PM

Nice to see your old Indy again Jacko.

Are you putting a bike engine in Sam. Oooohhh

wrayvon - 6/5/20 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Nice to see your old Indy again Jacko.

Are you putting a bike engine in Sam. Oooohhh

Ha that I can confirm I am not doing. No bike engines will be going near this car!

wrayvon - 24/6/20 at 11:28 AM

Engine swap was haulted big time whilst we were all locked down due to my car being at my friends garage. Not ideal.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when were allowed to make non essential journeys (in my opinion working on your car is essential but not everyone agrees with me there... )

Without going through everything I've done, the new gearbox and engine is now in! Just a few more things to fit before the 'first start'.

Currently waiting on silicone hoses and also an oil pressure switch.... (don't ask).

(not the best pictures, sorry)

roadrunner - 24/6/20 at 02:45 PM

Great.
Well it's a twin cam so it's not the original boat anchor that used to be in.

wrayvon - 24/6/20 at 04:07 PM

Yep!

Since I've shown you the engine I should probably tell you what it is....

It's a 2.5 Duratec. I gather these were orignally only available in America however some companies now (GBS I think) offer them.

Hoping for 200+bhp and similar numbers for torque too! Should be quite entertaining me thinks...

PAUL FISHER - 24/6/20 at 07:43 PM

One of the best MKS ever built, remember the mk drag day at York with great memories, hope you're keeping well Graham

wrayvon - 8/7/20 at 04:19 PM

Car is up and running!!

Had it mapped on Monday, sadly my exhaust is restricting it somewhat but it made 200bhp and 220lb-ft of torquey goodness.

It really is incredible to drive. Such a difference from the pinto engine I took out.

Obviously I've changed loads doing this but other interesting changes are I've added a quick rack. That has a made a huge difference also.

Now to go enjoy that powerrrrrrrr

jacko - 9/7/20 at 07:06 PM

Hi mate I'm sorry to see the pinto go 😂 But time and tide stops for no one so all I can say is go for it and enjoy it
By the way if you sell the pinto some one will get a fantastic engine with lots of good things in it
Keep in touch
Graham

jacko - 9/7/20 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
One of the best MKS ever built, remember the mk drag day at York with great memories, hope you're keeping well Graham

Hi Paul
As I remember York was a great day but every day out in the cars was great to me
Hope your well with this virus going round
Graham

[Edited on 9/7/20 by jacko]

jacko - 26/7/20 at 06:38 PM

Come on it’s time for a up date mate
Graham

wrayvon - 5/8/20 at 04:14 PM

Sorry being very lax with updates again.

Replaced the silencer and section of pipe in the exhaust to try remove the restrictions. Now make 209bhp and a good chunk of torque!

Chuffed, proper chuffed!

Having a few issues with wiring currently, but hopefully will get that resolved this week so can get out and drive it some more!

Here's a couple of pictures from recent drives and car bits though

jacko - 5/8/20 at 07:03 PM

Still looking good
Graham

wrayvon - 15/12/20 at 10:21 AM

Managed to get out for a little drive the other day. Wiring issues all fixed now too and map tweaked again. Much smoother now.

My winter plans for it have changed sadly. I was hoping to get a full cage in but that's been put on the back burner again....

Must admit though, I am toying with a slight colour change. But again that'll probably lead to nothing

wrayvon - 22/3/21 at 10:23 AM

Here we go, the big colour change!

Got a new bonnet also as you can see, but not transferred the fixings over yet hence it's not fastened down in the pics!

Ordered some vinyl to to apply the usual 'MK' stripes.

I absolutely love it!!

jacko - 10/4/21 at 09:19 AM

Wow wrayvon the car is very nice in the new colour you have taken the car to a different level to when I built it
With the new engine / colour change / windscreen etc
Keep up the good work and enjoy it

Graham

ragindave - 10/4/21 at 01:20 PM

That looks great it does need the wheels in black now they would really finish it off.

wrayvon - 16/4/21 at 08:31 AM

Thanks guys! And glad you approve Graham

I have no added some vinyl to it:

And yes, wheels will be changing, or at least colour changing

(oh I put my personalised plate on it too, so it really does look like a different now car!)

[Edited on 16/4/21 by wrayvon]

Edwardo - 16/4/21 at 08:52 AM

Looks great! I do like the vinyl racing stripes on a kit.

I think the change of wheel colour will really finish it off

jacko - 16/4/21 at 04:50 PM

Looking good and a new number plate
If you don’t mine me saying I think others on here are right about the wheels black would look good
Graham

perksy - 16/4/21 at 09:43 PM

That looks very nice and the colour change really suits it

definitely needs black wheels now to finish it off

jps - 17/4/21 at 10:26 AM

quote:

Do those headlights have integrated indicators? They look great, the whole car does.

wrayvon - 4/5/21 at 08:24 AM

Thanks everyone!

Completely agree, the wheels will be changing or at the very least the colour will be

--

The headlights do indeed have built in indicators - they are super bright! One of my next plans is to replace the rear lights as they are a little dull. Will probably be getting LED ones... in fact I've found some lovely ones but need to figure out if they will cover the existing holes.

Thanks again for the positive feedback everyone!

wrayvon - 15/9/21 at 08:01 AM

Quick update:

I replaced the rear lights!

Also had to replace 1 of the rear bushes so got some new poly ones for both sides.

Went to blyton:

Question for Graham... did you by any chance use a Capri clutch cable? It snapped on me at the weekend and have been trying to find one with the correct fittings on each end. I may private message you so you see this sooner!

jps - 15/9/21 at 10:31 AM

quote:
did you by any chance use a Capri clutch cable? It snapped on me at the weekend and have been trying to find one with the correct fittings on each end. I may private message you so you see this sooner!

Incase it helps and you need options - part QH1010 (P100 / Cortina clutch cable) might be useful to know about - pictured here: https://www.qhwebcat.com/en/clutch-cable/9996-clutch-cable-brand-quinton-hazell-and-reference-qcc1010-5016593065918.html

I know a lot of people use Capri clutch cable (1.3 is popular from memory -and if you need one of those I can sell you one - PM me!). But I found it too short, the QH1010 part is much longer, so can be routed well in my application (Haynes roadster, with Type3 gearbox).

wrayvon - 15/9/21 at 10:53 AM

JPS you are a genius - it's the 1.3 version I need as it's shorter!

https://www.burtonpower.com/clutch-cable-ford-capri-mk1-mk2-mk3-2-8-3-0-v6-69-87-qcc1045.html

This confirms it's 95cm which is the closest I've seen to the measurement I did yesterday (on the broken cable) which was around 76cm. The others I've seen look to be way longer!

To be honest it just means slightly larger looping than the existing setup but there is space there so I'm not too concerned.

Thank you!

jps - 15/9/21 at 11:40 AM

quote:

Also - just read this thread in full. The skyline/horizon in the pic above looks very familiar to me, but I can't place it. Assume it's looking across to the Dark Peak somewhere and the skyline looks like something you'd see looking across the Penistone/Holmfirth area, but the tower blocks in the valley make me think Sheffield? Can you satisfy my curiosity/put me out of my misery?

jps - 15/9/21 at 11:51 AM

quote:
JPS you are a genius - it's the 1.3 version I need as it's shorter!

https://www.burtonpower.com/clutch-cable-ford-capri-mk1-mk2-mk3-2-8-3-0-v6-69-87-qcc1045.html

This confirms it's 95cm which is the closest I've seen to the measurement I did yesterday (on the broken cable) which was around 76cm. The others I've seen look to be way longer!

To be honest it just means slightly larger looping than the existing setup but there is space there so I'm not too concerned.

Thank you!

I've PMd you - but adding here incase others use 'search' in future! I've got a QCC1056 (also 1.3 Capri) going spare - which is slightly shorter, mine is 81cm (full length of the inner) - so nearer your original cable length. Readily available on eBay too -e.g https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233147053377

wrayvon - 15/9/21 at 12:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:

Also - just read this thread in full. The skyline/horizon in the pic above looks very familiar to me, but I can't place it. Assume it's looking across to the Dark Peak somewhere and the skyline looks like something you'd see looking across the Penistone/Holmfirth area, but the tower blocks in the valley make me think Sheffield? Can you satisfy my curiosity/put me out of my misery?

Well the Yorkshire part is correct! This is actually near silsden / on the back of ilkley moor. I think the view is overlooking Keighley of all places!

wrayvon - 23/6/22 at 01:02 PM

Latest updates:

Carbon front arches
Black front suspension parts
... not sure if I mentioned new rear lights and side repeaters, but they're on
Removable steering wheel
MK gear knob

Updates still to come:
New dash and gauges etc
New wheels/black wheels
New side decals
New cams.... maybe/probably
New wipers
New rear brakes (already purchased)
New front brakes

Few pics:

[Edited on 23/6/22 by wrayvon]

wrayvon - 15/8/22 at 07:29 AM

Mini update: fitted carbon arch protectors yesterday.

(black bolts are on order don't worry!)

snapper - 20/8/22 at 02:58 AM

Looking good

[Edited on 20/8/22 by snapper]

wrayvon - 7/2/23 at 08:59 AM

Couple of recent pictures showing my changes. Keep forgetting to update in here

Also I just noticed my grill has dropped on the last picture... guess I have another job to do!

jacko - 9/2/23 at 05:51 PM

Hi mate long time
I’ve just been looking at the wonderful pictures you have taken and I must say the car has come on a long way from when I built it .
It looks fantastic what you have done to it 😀 one photo you missed is the engine bay maybe in the future 👍
Graham

wrayvon - 3/3/23 at 09:33 AM

Will do Graham!

Current list of upcoming changes:

Wheels (still not found any that are doing it for me)
Expansion tank and new hoses
Rear brakes (they're binding a tad and MOTs are getting nervy because they're rubbish)

---

Going to do an oil change this weekend then I think it'll be taxed and back on the road

Has anyone ever swapped glass for perspex also? As long as you get the strong stuff (similar to safety glass) I can't think of any issues... interested to know as I think it'll be a good weight saver.

Thoughts?